Looking at a Formula 280ss - few questions - Speedwake 2.0

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Looking at a Formula 280ss - few questions

I am currently looking at a 2000 Formula 280ss with twin 5.7efi's to upgrade from my 87 Formula 242ls with a 454. I've done alot of reading on these boats and they seem to be very well liked by their owners and boat reviewers. I love my 242, but looking for a better layout than the go-fast style (two captains and a bench), and also to upgrade to a newer boat with (theoretically) less nickle and dime issues.

the engines have 350hrs and have bravoIII drives. should i be worried about the hours?

are these efi's a decent upgrade from carburetors even though they're not the best mpi ones? i assume these are similar to the older "throttle body injected" ones. are there know issues with this efi system? opinions on the system?

what kind of numbers are people getting from their 280's? is 40mph cruise and 55mph top speed too much to ask out of these?

the boat is pretty clean for its age and everything appears to work in it. the dealer is asking 37,500 with a triple axle aluminum i-beam trailer. is this reasonable in comparison to what others have paid?

2000 Formula 280ss Twin 5.7efi BravoIII's

87 Formula 242LS 454 Alpha - Mild build ~400hp **For Sale**

Last edited by hondahp4; 07-22-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 04:23 PM

Great boat!! you will love the handling of the boat!! I drove one with 350's and B 3's and loves it, in the year 2000 you are on the shelf of resale. 96/97/98 go for 19- low 20's at 300 hours its just getting broke in. top speed the one i drove I had running around 54, The 280 is a awesome boat my only disappointment was you would have to be a midget to even consider using the V-berth, I have a buddy who paid 27 for a 97 330 with 250 hours. so do your homework. there's deals out there.

"I'D RATHER BE BOATING"

1994 Formula 303 SR1

A.K.A 88242ls
05 Sierra
97 Regal
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89donzi View Post
Great boat!! you will love the handling of the boat!! I drove one with 350's and B 3's and loves it, in the year 2000 you are on the shelf of resale. 96/97/98 go for 19- low 20's at 300 hours its just getting broke in. top speed the one i drove I had running around 54, The 280 is a awesome boat my only disappointment was you would have to be a midget to even consider using the V-berth, I have a buddy who paid 27 for a 97 330 with 250 hours. so do your homework. there's deals out there.
your reaction is pretty much the same as every other reviewer i've read. everyone says they handle like a 22ft, and ride beautifully (typical formula). i love the ride of my formula, so thats why i'm looking at staying with them. so you're saying the dealer is a bit high? they seem "reasonable", but maybe i can beat em up a little on the price. i dont sleep on my boat very often, so the vberth is plenty for what i'd use it for. if i spend the night on it, it'll be few and far between, so i can survive with it being a bit small. maybe my next will be a 330, but we'll see for now.

the numbers of 54mph, was that with 5.7mags (300hp), or with the 5.7efi's (260hp)? i assume with numbers like that it was probably mags, so i'd probably see about 50 since i'm missing 80hp out of this one

also, this one doesn't have thru-hull exhaust. does anyone know if corsa makes a captains call system for these boats? are they a pita to install?

Last edited by hondahp4; 07-22-2012 at 04:35 PM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 06:00 PM

hmm I don't remember what motors, sorry, I personally wouldn't go outta my way to ad thru hull on that boat... but hey its yours so have at it not a huge deal but pricey, I think the dealer is on the fence if its clean and has all canvas, your doing alright, even better if you can trade?

"I'D RATHER BE BOATING"

1994 Formula 303 SR1

A.K.A 88242ls
05 Sierra
97 Regal
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 07:13 PM

Nice boat use it as is!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89donzi View Post
hmm I don't remember what motors, sorry, I personally wouldn't go outta my way to ad thru hull on that boat... but hey its yours so have at it not a huge deal but pricey, I think the dealer is on the fence if its clean and has all canvas, your doing alright, even better if you can trade?
yea i am on the fence on whether to add thru-hulls or not. im sure its a pita to install, and i'm sure its pricey (probably 2500 bux), but i just like the idea of running twins with thru-hulls. i've never had, and always wanted twin engines, so it would be nice to be able to hear them. i wish formula still did silent thunder on these, b/c i absolutely love the sound of the s.t. on mine. its not obnoxious at idle in no wake zones, but its got a good rumble while running.

yea the boat is clean and single owner by an older guy who went to a fishing style boat. it does have full cover, cockpit cover, bimini, and full camper canvas, closed cooling, etc. snap in carpet, pump-out head, two sinks. the only thing its missing that i wish it had was the fridge on the deck. it was a salt water boat for some of its life, so thats a bit worrisome, but the closed cooling should have helped alot. the drives have been redone, so they're clean too. i'm trying to work out a deal on a trade for my boat. it would be nice to be able to unload that quick and easy.

Last edited by hondahp4; 07-22-2012 at 08:20 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 09:05 PM
Stokers Rule

Injection is better than carbs in just about any configuration so it is still an improvement. The hours don't sound like any concern on those motors if all the services have been done in good intervals.

Good luck with her and post up some pics if you get it.

Smart: Knowing exactly the right thing to do in a bad situation.
Wise: Knowing how to avoid the bad situation.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaforce View Post
Injection is better than carbs in just about any configuration so it is still an improvement. The hours don't sound like any concern on those motors if all the services have been done in good intervals.

Good luck with her and post up some pics if you get it.
as far as fuel efficiency goes, are these efi's going to be better? i understand the whole turn-key, no b.s. convenience of an efi motor. no tuning for temp and/or elevation either is nice. i'm coming from a carb 454 with a 750 holley, so fuel efficiency is long out the window with that setup. from the boat tests ive seen on the 280 setup with twin 5.7's, they're claiming 1.9mpg and 13gph at cruise. i can guarantee i'm not even seeing half that on my 454, so i'm expecting my fuel costs to significantly decrease. would i really see much difference between the efi and the mpi motors as far as efficiency?

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 04:50 AM

Sounds like a sweet boat...

post some pics if you bring her home.

One thing I would keep in mind before adding the thru hull or choice exhaust is resale.
Guessing most buyers in that segment of the market aren't going to seek out open pipes.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSCHAP1 View Post
Sounds like a sweet boat...

post some pics if you bring her home.

One thing I would keep in mind before adding the thru hull or choice exhaust is resale.
Guessing most buyers in that segment of the market aren't going to seek out open pipes.
yea you guys are probably right on this...its probably not worth the expense and aggrivation. if i did do it, it would definitely be captains call (switchable), so for resale it would at least have the ability to be quieted. i know even on mine i wish i could turn off the thru hulls every once in a while.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

well its official, i'm buying this 280ss. got the seller to come down a bit on price and fix a few minor issues prior to purchase. everything is lined up, so pending any major issues found in a sea-trial on sunday, i'll be purchasing it.

my biggest problem now is i need to get rid of mine...quick!!....i don't really have to sell it to buy this one, but it would be really nice to put the money towards this one to lower the overall payment.

Anybody want, or know someone who wants an 87 Formula 242LS with newly rebuilt 454 and 2005 tropic trailer? i was asking 12k, but the first 10k in my hand will take it home since i want to sell quick and put money on the new(er) one. please spread the word to anybody who might be interested. PM me if interested and I'll give you my cell number so we can talk directly....Thanks guys!!

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 09:05 AM

Congrats on the new one.
Good luck with the sale.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Got the new one out on saturday, wow what i nice ride. its taking me a while to figure out the whole "twins" deal. seems like you're always adjusting and always playing with something, but i guess its just a learning curve.

one thing i did notice is it doesn't seem like it was revving out as far as it should. i was getting about 4400rpm wide open with it. i did have a completely full tank of fuel so i was carrying around almost 1000lbs extra, but wouldn't think it would make that significant of a difference. i'm not real familiar with how to run a set of twins, and how far to trim them and all so that could be partially the problem. the boat seems to only want a minimal amount of trim. its about 3-4 bumps on the switch on the throttles and its happy. anything more and it starts to porpoise. i was only trimming to the point of the porpoising, and then back down one bump. maybe i need to push it past the point of the porpoising and see what it'll do. it does seem to really get loose if you keep going up while its porpoising, but it gets significantly worse if you keep going. any thoughts on if i'm doing something wrong, or how i "should" be doing this? btw it has 26p props on the b3's, is this factory?

Last edited by hondahp4; 08-06-2012 at 08:23 AM.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 04:52 AM

Looks nice !!!

Thinking that it sounds like you may find out more as you get additional "seat time".
I have not had anything with twins yet, but I don't think anything different would apply besides keeping them synched. What rpms do the motors tags show as max? I would think more, but...? My old 7.4 B3 had a set of 28 pitch props, but I think that there are different ratios too. I would think with 350s 26 sounds like stockers.

ENJOY
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 09:01 AM

Very nice Formula!!!
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 08:45 PM

Great boat . I have 1997 280SS twin 5.7 260 HP with only 200hours . Original owner and loaded with opinions. Full camper canvas , fresh water cooled , windless , garmin gps etc