Pro's and Con's of Supercharging a 502efi - Speedwake 2.0

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Pro's and Con's of Supercharging a 502efi

I have a 2001 Donzi 26ZX w/502 efi and about 50 engine hours on it. I have installed SM exhaust and a high flow air filter, sill looking for more speed. I kinda miss the speed of the 502 in the Scarab 23scs I had.

I would love to hear from you guys that are running ProCharger, Whipple, or Vortex on a 502efi. What kinda gains do you see and what drawbacks have you incurred.

I would love to hear form the guy who had the boat like mine at the Missouri Shootout that was running 81 with a supercharger.

Okie

Last edited by Okie-donzi; 09-11-2003 at 04:41 PM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

I have been extesively researching supercharger systems for my 28ZX....WHIPPLE is the way to go right now. Only draw back is it is 1.5 times the price of pro charger
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 03:19 PM

Okie, the new Whipple "valley" kit is the schit! Yes, it is more costly than say a Vortech or Procharger... but well worth the $$$ in my personal opinion.

One really nice thing about the Whipple is packaging. I'm currently running the older "side mount" style Whipple's and it was a tight fit to say the least. While the Whipple obviously consumed quite a bit of extra real estate under the hatch, it was still much less than the Pro Charger. The new Whipple "valley" kits only add 1.5" of forward clearance, and nothing up top (compared to the HP500's). Also, my Whipple kit was pretty bug free from the get go. I had a couple of issues with loose connectors in the wiring harness and the motor initially ran rich at cruising speed. I had Whipple support re flash the ECU with new calibrations and it cured the rich problem. I've heard stories about the Pro Charger support being less than desirable (I read about it on the Internet... therefore it was all true!)

As far as power capability goes, it can be argued over and over which one is better. Honestly, I don't think there is any major differences. All the centrifugal blowers will be making good boost by 4000 RPM. Sure, the Whipple can make boost at 1500 RPM, but when are you honestly going to need boost that low? Every time I "nail" the throttles in my boat, I'm already beyond 4000 RPM before I get a chance to look at the tach's. However, the mid range punch of the Whipple does feel a little stronger than that of a centrifugal type blower. In a single engine, or heavier boat, I would think the difference between the two might be more noticeable.

Which ever you choose, I'm sure you'll be happy with it. You will probably hear a lot of people feed you the typical lines: "You need new head gaskets. You need O-ringed heads. You need blah blah blah..."

Ignore them

I logged about 150 hours on my setup before I smoked a piston... and I'm suspicious that the piston was going out long before I installed the blowers. The good motor still runs strong. These were 454 MAG EFI's that were dyno 'd at an honest to God "real world conditions" 550 hp. If any part is a weak link on these motors, I would have to say it's the pistons / rings. Even then, I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

-Bayley

Last edited by Bayley; 09-11-2003 at 03:21 PM.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 03:46 PM

Hard to argue anything Bayley said especially since my experience pretty much mirrors his. No complaints, still idles like stock and runs MUCH stronger. I DO notice the engine seems to be a lot stronger even coming on plane (even with larger props). I ease it out of the water (still running the stock Bravo drive) but there is PLENTY of reserve power now that was absent before. It may not have been so noticeable with twins but with my stern-heavy single it is quite noticeable. If I had a B-MAX drive I could do awesome holeshots.

LEAD, FOLLOW OR GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY!
Bitchin' about it ain't helpin'
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 06:51 PM

I also have a 502 EFI. I am thinking about installing a Whipplecharger. I have been told that I need to install a transom water pickup along with my outdrive water pickup. I was also told the transom pickup should be used for the intercooler. Is this the way it should be done?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 07:14 PM

You will probably need a transom water pickup. I tried mine without and it didn't have enough cooling at high speeds. The transom pickup can feed both the intercooler and the engine or you can just feed the intercooler with the transom pickup and feed the engine from the drive. I suspect that I am getting more engine cooling from the transom pickup than I would be with just the drive pickup even though the intercooler draws off quite a bit of water.

LEAD, FOLLOW OR GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY!
Bitchin' about it ain't helpin'
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 12:13 AM

i installed and tuned the vortech supercharger on the 26 donzi that ran 82 on sunday at the shootout. i ran 87 on sunday in my 25 outlaw. ask any ? and i will answer. mh
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 07:27 AM

Re: Pro's and Con's of Supercharging a 502efi

Quote:
Originally posted by Okie-donzi
I have a 2001 Donzi 26ZX w/502 efi and about 50 engine hours on it. I have installed SM exhaust and a high flow air filter, sill looking for more speed. I kinda miss the speed of the 502 in the Scarab 23scs I had.

Okie
Okie, was there any noticeable increase in speed/torque with the exhaust, intake mods on your 502?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 07:44 PM

PRO"S!!!!!
the 502 is probably the Best engine out there for super charging. Low compresion, J&E pistons, steel crank. ect...

CON"S!!!
Need more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I had over 300 Super charged hrs on my 502 Mag MPI before I broke a piston, But thats because my impeller went and I wasn't getting enough water flow

Good luck

It's a good thing water isn't flammable...It catch FIRE!!!τΏτ
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 11:17 AM
jb

just missed ya.....
just sold 2 B & M 250 superchargers for efi complete packages and chromed for 2500 dollars with less than 5 hours on them. Saw good gain at low boost. they were available here on speedwake
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 06:17 PM
chief bottle washer

Re: Pro's and Con's of Supercharging a 502efi

Quote:
Originally posted by Okie-donzi

I would love to hear form the guy who had the boat like mine at the Missouri Shootout that was running 81 with a supercharger.
Okie
Petty Cash has the 280 Power Quest w/Pro Charger - 81 mph

Mental Heath has a 25 Outlaw w/a Votex - 87 mph

Bone Shaker had a 500 w/a whipple - 102 mph Eliminator Cat

Rick has the 26 Donzi w/a 454 MAG and Vortex that went 81 mph -he's not on the board yet, but friends with Liquid Diet on the board and Mental Health installed his system.

All three have had uppers worked on. PC put the entire IMCO drive on. BS has a IMCO upper, MH put other gears in his upper.

We figured it cost $20K after you buy the blower, add hydraulic steering, exhaust and change the upper out. It's just not adding a blower and picking up 15 reliable mphs and going on your merry way.

Mental Health has added a few systems in our area. I'll email him this thread so he chimes in. MH also has the Merc computer to make adjustments, which is handy to have in our area on the water.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 06:19 PM
chief bottle washer

Here the motor on the Donzi again, just because I love it!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p0003552.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	19260  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 06:24 PM
chief bottle washer

I just noticed that MH responded, if you have more questions nows the time. He's done a lot of these systems in our area and just helped PC turn his Pro Charger.

Here's Ricks Donzi:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	p0003565.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	19262  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 10:56 PM

fyi, i have spent many hours working on the vortech sc system and with some fine tuning and just adding the blower kit, a boat can be reliable with just adding the blower. ricks donzi has over 300 hours on the engine and drive. yes his drive is the original bravo. with our custom drive cooler that is derived from the vortech sc, it stays so cool that no white chalk builds up anymore. by the way his 454 mag engine is totally original from hour 1. anyone interested in a kit let me know and i can get you a discount on it for being on speedwake and i will help you with any questions on install and fine tuning. mh

Last edited by MENTALHEALTH; 09-18-2003 at 11:03 PM.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 11:00 PM

fyi, i have worked all of the bugs out of the vortech sc system and with some fine tuning and just adding the blower kit, a boat can be reliable with just adding the blower. ricks donzi has over 300 hours on the engine and drive. yes his drive is the original bravo. with our custom drive cooler that is derived from the vortech sc, it stays so cool that no white chalk builds up anymore. by the way his 454 mag engine is totally original from hour 1. anyone interested in a kit let me know and i can get you a discount on it for being on speedwake and i will help you with any questions on install and fine tuning. mh
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 08:13 PM

How much to install a pair on stock 1999 Merc 502's?
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 10:36 PM

i will look into the prices and get you an estimate tommorrow.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 10:53 PM

i can sell the kit for 5300.00 plus labor. if you want the blow off valve which i highly suggest it runs 300.00. these are polished prices. labor for the engines will be around 1500.00 each which will include tuning. some things that i recommend are a www.filtermag.com for each motor (119.95 ea) and fitch fuel catalyst for the fuel. it is priced at $20 per five gallons of capacity. www.fitchfuelcatalyst.com. these are one time things that will help with longevity of the engines. i also recommend mobile 1 full synthetic 15w50 engine oil and with the kit come the best drive cooler in the business. all we have to do is plumb it. you will definately have to reprop. i know that on a v bottom you will have to go up 4 numbers. ex. 24 to 28 pitch. if you don't go crazy on boost, extremely long runs or are good about warming oil up before getting into boost the head gaskets will last for about 200.00 hours or more depending on how boat is used. you can use stock manifolds since i used them for 100 hours on mine before i needed more speed.

Last edited by MENTALHEALTH; 09-25-2003 at 11:00 PM.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 11:03 PM

here is a picture of my engine once i cleaned it up. votrech supercharger with polished revolution marine manifolds.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	101-0145_img.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	20202  
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 05:36 AM

vortech on 502

to mentalheath: I know its an old thread but could you please point me the direction for an air filter setup like yours?? very clean engine bay!!