PDA

View Full Version : Donzi over Fountain ???

JOHNTRIP
03-03-2005, 05:55 PM
Fellow Members..... I'm ready to buy but which one...? The Fountain Fever 27, or The Donzi 28zx......

DONZIZX
03-03-2005, 06:05 PM
IS THERE REALLY ANY QUESTION WHICH TO BUY? COME ON NOW. I WOULD DEFINITELY GO WITH THE ZX. YOU WILL NOT FIND A BETTER HANDLING BOAT!!

27Fever
03-03-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by DONZIZX
IS THERE REALLY ANY QUESTION WHICH TO BUY? COME ON NOW. I WOULD DEFINITELY GO WITH THE ZX. YOU WILL NOT FIND A BETTER HANDLING BOAT!!

Yup, there is a question. I would go with the 27 Fever. In fact, I'll give you a deal on mine.

AGRESSOR
03-03-2005, 06:10 PM
I'm no fan of either but at the same time I have nothing bad to say, between those two I'd pick the Donzi for sure! due to many factors! I'd also consiter a Powerquest 280, Pantera 28 and a Sunsation 288

undertaker
03-03-2005, 06:19 PM
I would go with the 28ZX :D I owned a 2000 28ZX and loved the boat, it rides great in rough water and top speed is respectable :cool: 72 MPH twin 350 MAGS. But if ya really want to own a even better Donzi I have my 2002 33ZX for sale :winker:. Good luck with your decision.

Undertaker :D

gilla
03-03-2005, 06:56 PM
You really need a boat 30 foot or 32 for twin engines. I looked at both-plus the 290 Formula and picked the 29 Fountain. Great cockpit room, anchor locker, swim platform with built in ladder and runs 80 plus.

27Fever
03-03-2005, 07:20 PM
Thanks Gilla, at least someone makes sense. :smile1:

KG
03-03-2005, 09:04 PM
now i am not biased either way.
i know the fountain hull runs like a rapped ape! I think its a fun hull.........i like it even better with the windshield on the later models.
I hate driving the boat though with a left throttle, and i am left handed! :laugher:

the donzi i have been on, and like. but in its own way. i have never ridden the hull so i cant help there like others may be able too.

if it was me-i would go with the fountan. sleeker lines...

thats just me though and i am an alchholic white guy hidding behind me keyboard! :shocked:

KG
03-03-2005, 09:05 PM
why not start a poll for chits and grins!

ChromeGorilla
03-03-2005, 10:25 PM
If it were me I wouldnt get the 27 Fever or the 28 ZX. Kow those kick *** ZR's out there....... rumor has it you may see a 27ZR :shocked: But you didn't hear that from me..... :D The ZR's are hot!

undertaker
03-03-2005, 11:15 PM
The 28ZX's with twin 350 MAGS are a perfect combination the boat handles that power awesome. Go with the Donzi 28ZX or even the 33ZX :D

Rattlesnake Jake
03-04-2005, 06:23 AM
:D Just buy my Formula. Lots of power, nice ride, super cabin. Quality throughout. Its in the classifieds.

Canada Jeff
03-04-2005, 07:23 AM
Donzi, after taking in the Miami boat show, I think you'll see the Fountain 27 discontinued before to long. Just my thoughts.

Sacandaga
03-04-2005, 08:18 AM
That's a tough call. You probably should be comparing the 28ZX to a 29 Fever rather than a 27. I really like the 29's for the larger cockpit and cabin. Do the Donzi's have a wider beam? I know one I saw at Miami last year was very wide, it was bigger though. 33 or better. Are you looking to buy new or preowned? Price range?

Canada Jeff
03-04-2005, 08:21 AM
My thought exactly on the 27 compared to the 29. Even compare the 29 to the 32. I'd rather a 29 over both.

DEEZ PLEEZ
03-04-2005, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by sunsation98

if it was me-i would go with the fountan. sleeker lines...

thats just me though and i am an alchholic white guy hidding behind me keyboard! :shocked:

that's good chit :laugher: :laugher:

i would look into the 29 Fever. after visiting the Miami boatshow and climbing around on one, I'm sold.

gorgeous boat with ample cabin room and a very spacious cockpit.

when i'm ready to upgrade that's what i'm going with. my mind is made up :)

touchy subject
03-04-2005, 08:24 AM
I have looked at both boats this winter. And it all comes down to personal preference.

There are a few questions that need to be answered:

1. Are you going to be keeping the boat for a few years?

2. Are you weekending on board?

3. You are in South Florida (lots of other brands to choose from) are you going offshore?

4. Are you looking for speed & handling or a bigger cabin?

Just a few things to ask yourself....

Personally I would take a real good look at a 26 Sonic
more room on board than either of the other boats that you have listed...

I know what you are going through I'm doing the same thing :(

ChromeGorilla
03-04-2005, 08:25 AM
I agree with Sac and CJ, 27 fever - 2' for beak = 25' boat. 29 fever - 2' for beak = 27' boat. Now your talking about similar sizes.... :laugher:

networx
03-04-2005, 08:33 AM
Both are nice boats. The Donzi will probably hold togehter better in rough water. I know. I have one. Have heard more than one person tell me about having to screw parts back on their Fountain after a choppy day.

gilla
03-04-2005, 08:36 AM
In Florida-the 29 would be the smallest I would go if you plan on running outside the waterway at all. If twin engines iare a requirement-there are some good buys on 32 Fountains in the 70 to 80 range.

GRH
03-04-2005, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by networx
Both are nice boats. The Donzi will probably hold togehter better in rough water. I know. I have one. Have heard more than one person tell me about having to screw parts back on their Fountain after a choppy day.

My 29 Fever is 10 years old & I've never had to screw anything back together... nor has my friend with his 32 thats 12 years old this year.... thats a bunch of crap!

BillR
03-04-2005, 08:44 AM
The Donzi is a wet boat. If you like water in your face all the time - buy one.

Want a nice / fast boat - get the Fountain.

Plus better customer service w/ Fountain.

DEEZ PLEEZ
03-04-2005, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by GRH
My 29 Fever is 10 years old & I've never had to screw anything back together... nor has my friend with his 32 thats 12 years old this year.... thats a bunch of crap!

that's what i thought.

after climbing on the 29, 35, 38, and 47 these boats are solid. Reggie builds a first class boat.

i'm telling ya the Fountain's are tight ;)

BTW if they can't handle the rough water why do Fountain's win all the races :D

Tim G.
03-04-2005, 09:00 AM
The bigger the better...
A friend has a 27 Fountain... It just isn't a rough water boat. He nearly lost the entire engine hatch, and the portion of the cabin that holds the stereo pulled away, and the stereo fell out....
This was all in one run from Miami to Elliot Key...
29 will ride a bit better, though it's still a short bottom.
They do have the "beak", but there is also a swim platform...and a notched transom...

Yes, they are fast on good water. there's no disputing that...

The Donzi is also decent..
Why have you limited your choices to those two boats???

Tim G.
03-04-2005, 09:02 AM
J-
This is Government cut.....
I wouldn't have wanted to be in a 27 Fountain on this day... :eek:

Sacandaga
03-04-2005, 09:03 AM
Yeah, widen your horizens... Look at a Baja ;)

GRH
03-04-2005, 09:51 AM
If your looking for a single engine I encourage you to look at the Velocity 280.... it has a very large cabin for a 28 & is probably "one of the" fastest, best handling single engine 28 you'll find on the market... IMO :D

Canada Jeff
03-04-2005, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by DEEZ PLEEZ
that's what i thought.

after climbing on the 29, 35, 38, and 47 these boats are solid. Reggie builds a first class boat.

i'm telling ya the Fountain's are tight ;)

I never heard of a Fountain falling apart! But, when we tie up to one and raft, I often walk across the bow to get to others. And I as have posted in other threads, there is movment on a fountain!

Not bashing them, but steping off a Sunsation to a Fountain, you notice a difference!

And if your looking for used, check my signature for one tough boat!

ChromeGorilla
03-04-2005, 10:09 AM
why do Fountain's win all the races

If you look at the results from Key West I think you'll see Donzi did extremely well.

Either way both are nice and yes the ZX's are not as fast as comparable sized/powered Fountains. Now the ZR's on the other hand...thats another story :shocked:

Both are great boats. Although I have never had any problems with Donzi CS, I have heard more Fountain owners raving about CS than Donzi owners.
Just my uninformed 2 cents :D

Rattlesnake Jake
03-04-2005, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by GRH
If your looking for a single engine I encourage you to look at the Velocity 280.... it has a very large cabin for a 28 & is probably the fastest, best handling single engine 28 you'll find on the markey... IMO :D
I beg your pardon.. :laugher: :laugher:

GRH
03-04-2005, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Rattlesnake Jake
I beg your pardon.. :laugher: :laugher:

Whooops.... Sorry :eek: .... "one of the best" don't forget Formula..... ;)

ChromeGorilla
03-04-2005, 10:35 AM
LOL i think he meant HIS formula..... :winker:

GatorDave
03-04-2005, 10:36 AM
The 27' Fountain would not be on my list due to the size of the fuel tank. I've heard 55-60 gallons. Too small. If I were looking again it would be a 29' Fountain or the Velocity 290 SC. But hey it's your money :D

Rattlesnake Jake
03-04-2005, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by GRH
Whooops.... Sorry :eek: .... "one of the best" don't forget Formula..... ;)

Thank you, Thank you very muchh.. :D ;)

Rattlesnake Jake
03-04-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by ChromeGorilla
LOL i think he meant HIS formula..... :winker:

Yessir. Faster than a speeding Bullet!!!! :laugher: :laugher:

Speedwake
03-04-2005, 11:09 AM
good idea for a poll.

27 or 29 feet only.

single or twin.

what's available?

Sunsation 288
29' Fountain
????

networx
03-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by GRH

Yep! I'm sure you got a great boat for your lake. I just know a few people who run hard offshore and in the Chesapeake that are always re-assembling parts of their Fountains after a rough day. I have had a couple of dashboard screws loosen on my Donzi, but nothing more than that and I've run in the same water my friends have.

PWRQWST
03-04-2005, 11:26 AM
Hard to compare a 28 donzi to a 27 fountain you probably need to campare the 32 fountain to get the same length :laugher: I had a 24 PQ and a buddy had a 27 fountain, we were the same length and I had more usable space. look hard at the 28 PQ I believe you will like it, I found out that for not much more I could get a 29 PQ with twins and that is what we did. The best thing to do before you buy is to take them out and drive them.
P.S. also look hard at Sunsation there are excellent boats as well. What ever you do I wish you the best.

Ran-Dom32
03-04-2005, 11:33 AM
I've owned a 27 Fountain for 1/2 season - IMO - not good in the rough - (back-breaker) moved up to a 280 Velocity & was much happier - I run in my buddies Donzi25ZX all the time - rides real good for a 25 - depending of where & type of boating you do the Donzi is most likely a better choice. they all have pros & cons my .02 - go drive them both before making up your mind.

DonziGirl
03-04-2005, 12:50 PM
I think you can figure out what my answer is ;)

I was just at Donzi and there are some great looking ZXs and ZR's

DEEZ PLEEZ
03-04-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by ChromeGorilla
If you look at the results from Key West I think you'll see Donzi did extremely well.

i'm not Donzi bashing. i just feel that Fountain doesn't get the recognition it deserves in regards to their ability to handle the rough stuff.

that's all

CJ,

what do you mean movement?
i'm not sure i understand

dallasboats.com
03-04-2005, 01:52 PM
I love Fountains but the 28 ZX is bigger, can have twins, and will run bigger water.

dallasboats.com
03-04-2005, 01:54 PM
If there is any Fountain bashing going on it's most likely done by people that can't afford one or wish they owned one.

Fountain is the fastest, bar none!

However, the 28 and 27 are very different boats. The 27 is a great lake boat but not much fun in bigger water. It's still a great boat though!

dallasboats.com
03-04-2005, 01:58 PM
If you like Fountain, which I do, step up to a 29 or 32. Go older and get the big blocks. If you can afford a 35, that's one of the best all around boats ever made!

VELOCITY2002
03-04-2005, 02:22 PM
Donzi would be the my choice, Bigger and size does matter, twins, more room, more range. The 27 fever might be faster ( but I don't think so), the biggest complaint I here from the 27 fever owner is the fuel tank size and the small cabin (unless your 5'6").
I own a 2002 280 velocity, lots of room, pretty fast, nice ride if you know how to drive it. Personally I would look at each boat to find the pro's and con's of each boat and choose which one fits your needs the best.

Don't get me wrong Fountain builds a nice boat, but there are plenty of great boats being produced today.

undertaker
03-04-2005, 03:04 PM
Donzi makes a great ALL around boat wide beam, heavy (good rough water ride), respectable speed and great cabin space. If ya wanna go fast ONLY get a Fountain if ya want a nice size cabin, good top end and great rough water boat get a Donzi. Donzi & Fountain make quality boats its just how much of the other amenities you want also. Good Luck :D

Undertaker (2002 33ZX for sale!! :D :D )

Tim G.
03-04-2005, 04:52 PM
Every 28 Donzi I have seen had 350 mags. Do they offer the boat in a single big block??? It'd probably be a nice package with a 525-550 hp single.

Can't go wrong with a pair of 350 Mags though... They'll take more hours than a 502MPI, and have good hop up potential...and they leave room in the engine compartment. I've never been a fan of scraping nuckles on motor parts...
My 28 Pantera was tight between the engines, but had good room in front of them. A pair of hot 350s would have been a good choice.
I can see why Donzi does it with small blocks.

Fountain puts twin small block 6.2s in the 29...
I don't know enough about the 6.2 to say yay or nay..

gilla
03-04-2005, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by undertaker
Donzi makes a great ALL around boat wide beam, heavy (good rough water ride), respectable speed and great cabin space. If ya wanna go fast ONLY get a Fountain if ya want a nice size cabin, good top end and great rough water boat get a Donzi. Donzi & Fountain make quality boats its just how much of the other amenities you want also. Good Luck :D

Undertaker (2002 33ZX for sale!! :D :D )

Wide beam does not equate with a good rough water ride-narrow is better for the ride.

gilla
03-04-2005, 05:29 PM
The 6.2's are better than the 350's (320 hp and forged crank-hyd rollers) good engines. Donzi has also put the 377 scorpions in the 28 ZX-but they are sure pricey and need premium fuel. I looked hard at the 290 fastech with twin 6.2,s, but formular overprops so much it was a 10 second dog out of the hole. Sunsation is smarter-using the 24 props and they rocket out of the hole with the 32-making a much more useable boat.

simulatedjim
03-04-2005, 09:46 PM
Tim,

I read in one of the donzi fourms that a 28 Donzi with a single big block is a pig and to stay away from them. Twin small blocks is the way to go and if you can afford it, get the Scorpian powered boat.

MarkyMark
03-04-2005, 09:50 PM
Fountains DO COME APART. i have a friend that has had 2 fountains and has redone both boats because of problems of physically "COMING APART".

That doesn't mean that a Donzi won't come apart in the same situations.......nor any brand for that matter. Any boat will fail if put through enough abuse!!!!!!

that being said, and being non-bias is this decision, i would go with the 28 Donzi in your choice over the 27 Fountain.....just because you get more boat for your dollar. If you were looking at a 29 fountain (which you should), then that would be a tough decision. i may lean towards fountain on that one.

bryan275
03-04-2005, 10:00 PM
The only comment that I think everyone can agree on is the fact that Fountain's "beak" accounts for a good 18" of their length. The marina has a brand new 29 with a 525 in it not one mile from my house. Nice looking boat, but my 275 has a lot more room in it without the extra 2 feet!

Someone mentioned that the "right boat" depends on what type of boating you do. I can't agree more, but also consider the dealer, service, and operation cost (ie. insurance, maintaince, resale, etc.). I'm sure that someone will chime in on this comment...

32storm
03-04-2005, 10:32 PM
you may want to consider expanding the boats that you are considering. Personally, not impressed with either of the two choices. But, it's your $'s.

I had the opportunity to drive a 28' Donzi with twin small blocks. Not a bad boat, but when I compared it to the Formula that I had, I thought the Formula was a much better ride. The Donzi is very limited on cockpit space, and the cabin is very bare bones. Don't forget, the Donzi is not a full 28' OAL, but only 27' & change. The Donzi rigging & fit/finish was very nice. I had a killer deal working on a low hour Donzi, for very very nice $'s, but walked away.....just couldn't bring myself to like it. May be you will. Best way.....Try them both.

I ended up buying the Hustler.....bigger boat, more HP, and totally different ride.

Canada Jeff
03-05-2005, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by DEEZ PLEEZ
CJ,

what do you mean movement?
i'm not sure i understand

Flexing! Not rock solid. Doesn't mean its build sub standard, just some thing I noticed all Fountains, and other makes aswell.

You know what guys, we are far too judgmental! I would love a Fountain 35 Lightning with a couple of blue engines! I'd love a 36 Outlaw too. All we are doing here, form time to time, is discussing relatively small differences. Except when it comes to cabin room and so on.

The majority of us run some what reserved, and these small differences are forgotten once we are on plane and under way!! My $.02

DEEZ PLEEZ
03-05-2005, 07:48 AM
ok, i follow ya

undertaker
03-05-2005, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by gilla
Wide beam does not equate with a good rough water ride-narrow is better for the ride.

Gilla what I meant was Donzi is a HEAVY boat for its size which = a better rough water ride :D , a wide beam boat gives you more cockpit room and a more stable boat a narrow beam boat sometimes needs more tab working to run level with a unbalanced load. I am a Donzi guy, but I still think Fountains are a great boat to.

The best way to really know its to test drive both before purchase. :D :D

Undertaker :lick:

89donzi
03-07-2005, 11:12 AM
You arent comparing the same boats here, if your gonna stay single you would seriously want to look at the 288 Sun or the Velo 280, if your talking twins you would need to compare Donzi's 28 VS Fountains 29 VS Formula's 29. and after being in all, it would be between the Formula & Donzi, but I'm a weekender with the need for speed, which both are respectable, however if you strickly wanna go fast you may want to look at the Fountain :smile1: Good Luck, descisions descisions :winker:

gilla
03-07-2005, 11:40 AM
For twins-go 30 foot or better. The Sunsation 32 with twin 6.2's is a rocket to 70 mph. Twin BB are just to heavy for under 30 boats.

HotSpare1
03-07-2005, 12:29 PM
I've always prefered Donzi over Fountain .....

They just do about everything better, (IMO) except for, in some instances, flat out, smooth water, straight line speed ..........

My 22 run's with the 27's all day long though, infact I usually outrun em ...... So I really see no comparison there... (sorry)

The 29 Fountain however, would stand a much better chance ......... You've got at least 26' of hull to work with on that one ............

With all the bashing going on though ,,,, Fountain still builds a pretty good Boat ..... (IMO)

Good Luck ....

Donzi33ZX
03-07-2005, 05:14 PM
I have to agree that the 26 and 28ZX are wet rides in big water, owned one, but they can hang, trust me.
Yet we know a guy who just took a beating in rough water in a 27 Fountain, sold it for a bigger fountain.
The choice needs to based on your normal enviroment.

There are lots of great boats out there, don't limit your options to 2 boats, if budget is an issue keep shopping.

And lets not forget, the Donzi will be 6500 pounds plus trailer weight of 1000 to 1200 pounds.
Lots to consider in tow vehicle stuff etc.
Bryan

ENGREPS
03-07-2005, 08:23 PM
I have made an offer on a 28ZX single engine.

If a single is a pig then I will be a pig farmer.

If I cant make a single run with a 540 blower motor than it will have to just be a pig!!!

Look out Texas it looks like a road trip coming up.
:laugher: :laugher: :laugher: :laugher:

Donzi33ZX
03-07-2005, 08:55 PM
Their great boats, best of luck on the purchase .
The big Fountains are also sweet, my best bud has a 35, and we like the 42's.
A 540 in a 28 will have you at 75 or better.
The additional weight of 1100 pounds from twin smalls blocks makes them air our a bit different than the single BB.
A big power single is good in that Donzi Hull.
And yes I have had a few loose screws in the dash, BFD.
Bryan Tuvell

1999 22ZX, 2001 26ZX, 2003 33ZX and a 2006 38ZR before you know it, maybe LOL.

undertaker
03-08-2005, 10:40 AM
Just so everyone knows Bryan also does not baby his 33ZX :D Good luck with your single engine 28ZX.

Undertaker (2002 33ZX for sale :D )

undertaker
03-08-2005, 04:19 PM
Johntrip I sent you an email :D !!!!

runninafever
03-21-2005, 04:35 PM
You know you want to buy a fountain. It's the right thing to do!!!!!

DONZIZX
03-21-2005, 05:03 PM
Runninafever,Just want to send out a reminder about you begging to buy the DONZI.You know deep down you are a DONZI guy at heart. We have all settled in our life time. :bigsmile: :winker:

runninafever
03-21-2005, 05:27 PM
That sure would have been a bad decision. I did like seeing that boat on the water. Too bad I can only see it in my rearview mirror now!!!!!! How does my exhaust sound???? Just wondering?

DONZIZX
03-21-2005, 06:17 PM
Any body can go fast for a little bit, I will remember that when you run out of the stuff that makes you go fast. I will just drive by and :laugher: :eek:

undertaker
03-21-2005, 06:58 PM
Johntrip just wanna let you know my boat is still for sale!!! :D :D :D

ISurvivedNMU
03-22-2005, 03:35 PM
I have never laughed so hard reading a thread.... This is worse than a chevy/ford battle....

Most of what is in here is BS.. Fountains coming apart.. LOL...

The best way to choose your boat is to take them both out for a ride. Use the interior. Im sure the fountain is smaller... But there are other parts that maybe more important...

I have a 27 fountain, and although my friends 270 PQ laser was the exact same lenth, it has more usable cockpit, but it rode worth a crap in the rough, and was SLOW...

What Im saying is, that boat would not fit me, and I would never know it unless I rode with him....

Opinions are like ........ and everyones got one....

DONZIZX
03-22-2005, 04:18 PM
We are just having fun,we live about 5 miles apart and boat together all summer long. He is just mad because he couldn't find a DONZI as nice as mine. Fountain makes a nice boat,but nothing beats the ride and handling of a DONZI. :yak:

Not Right
03-22-2005, 06:50 PM
I'm not sure if the PQ 270 Laser and the 257 Legend have different hulls, but mine runs pretty good in the rough for a 26' boat. And we get some pretty rough water in the Atlantic. Its also a big 26' so it may be slower than other boats its size.

hard8towin
01-23-2013, 07:56 PM
I have a 27 fever w/ 540 ci. bulldog and i love it , it loves rough water once on top the boat wants to rock and roll. if your going to go you might as well go fast.:chase::chase::laugher:

RSCHAP1
01-24-2013, 05:51 AM
Welcome to Speedwake.
Congrats on the Fever.
You may want to notice that this is an OLD thread though, March 2005-nearly 8 years ago.
Start a new one and add some pics of the Fountain.

knowalibis
01-24-2013, 12:24 PM
own a 33zx..driven the 28zx and the fountain 27...hands down the 28zx..handles better..better ride..MUCH MORE ROOM...I agreee wuth early posts on going with the 33zx

brivander
01-24-2013, 01:36 PM
8. Year. Old. Thread. :D