PDA

View Full Version : Boat Ramp Near Pittsburgh PA?

Triple Trouble
06-07-2003, 09:09 AM
Need help in locating a decent launch ramp near Pittsburgh Pennsylvania that I can get to the river with my tri-axle trailer.
I use to launch my 24 outlaw at the PA fish commision public ramp near Twelve Mile Island but I don't think there is no way I can do my 31 cig with the trailer there.

Thanks,
Cordell

IMP 255
06-07-2003, 01:11 PM
Triple Trouble,

There are not too many public launches aroung here. The one I used before joining a private boat club was on the southside of Pittsburgh. The hardest part was driving throught the south side, but the SouthSide River Front Park ramp isnt too bad.

Where are you coming from, and are you looking to launch there all the time?

Mike

Triple Trouble
06-08-2003, 07:04 PM
Mike,
I was looking for a place to launch a few times a year. I use to launch my smaller boat at the PA fish commision ramp in Harmarville near 12 mile island. I took the turnpike to get there. My other way was to go to Kennedy Park near Newell West Virginia and boat up to Pittsburgh. All the time with locks and the added fuel bill is why I would like to find something closer. We use to go to Oakmont Yacht Club for some activities and also Fox Chappel for over nighters. Not sure if I can launch my boat from the tri-axle at Harmarville but I see some big boats on the river so they must get them in some how.

Cordell

IMP 255
06-08-2003, 11:58 PM
I understand. The locks can be a pain in the arse! If you could launch at south side you can shoot right down to the point in 2 minutes time with NO locks inthe way! It would be tight but not impossible in my opinion. Also, this is my first year at the GPAC boat club. If I am allowed to let you launch there and we could sync schedules that may be an option also, but I don't know all the rules yet.

Mike

gofast34
06-09-2003, 12:24 AM
You could launch at South Shore marina for 10 bucks, or I think the place IMP255 is at , if Peggy ownes it, is 15 bucks. South Shore is in the Strip District.

Triple Trouble
06-10-2003, 10:39 PM
IMP 255
gofast34

Thanks for your responces. I am going to catch a ride this weekend with my friend Denny in his 25 Active Thunder. I am still interested in knowing where the places are that you are speaking of so if you have the time can you give me a better idea of where they might be so we might check them out.

Mike thanks for the offer about meeting and launching at your club. If either of you are around this weekend look for us on a AT. We will be between Lock 2 and 3 on Saturday. and move more toward Pittsburgh on Sunday.

What does GPAC stand for?

Cordell

IMP 255
06-10-2003, 11:10 PM
GPAC=Greater Pittsburgh Aquatic Club. Ill keep my eye out for ya. I like to hang around the point. The GPAC is on the back channel of Neville Island, so I have to come up through the Emsworth lock. What are locks 2 and 3 named?

Mike

IMP 255
06-10-2003, 11:26 PM
The free ramp at South Side River Park is here:

Triple Trouble
06-11-2003, 04:20 PM
Thanks Mike for the map and information.

I found a booklet that I got years ago called the Guide to the Three Rivers. It is pretty nice and shows where things are but there is nothing like having a local tell you the best information.

I found your club after looking in the Ohio River section.

We are going to be on the Allegheny River on Saturday between Lock & Dam #2 near Sharpsburg/Aspinwall and Lock &Dam #3 near Harmarville/Acmetonia.

It is the pool with Fox Chapel Yacht Club and Oakmont Yacht Club.

If the weather holds out we are going to be around the Point on Sunday.

We sure could use a sunny day.

Thanks,
Cordell

enticer
06-11-2003, 09:09 PM
IMP 225 .... you have the arrow going to the 10st bridge when the ramp is up river on the west side of the Burmingham Bridge...just my $.02 worth. I had advised TT about the lack of security there
There is a nice ramp (asphalt) at the bottom of Coxcomb Hill at Logan's Ferry (on the Allegheny)...........but you will be 2 locks up from PGH
On the Mon is at 27.5 MM at Bunola (Carousel Marina) nice ramp and security...$5.00
I do not know what they charge at Logans Ferry boat club....it's been years since I put in there.

IMP 255
06-11-2003, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the correction Enticer, you are correct it is up just before the Birmingham bridge. I was looking at 8th street, when it is actually 18th street. I don't know about the security, do you mean for your truck/ trailer after you launch? There are some weird people that watch the boats launch sometimes! LOL The good thing about that ramp is its literally 2 minutes to the point(and no locks).

Cordell,
What time would you estimate you and Denny be at the point on Sunday if weather and such permits?

Mike

gofast34
06-12-2003, 12:08 AM
South Shore Marina is located just up river of of the last bridge on the Allegheny coming out of Pittsburgh, up river from the Boardwalk. It is a barge that is painted blue with an office built inside the barge.
The other one, I can't remember the name of it, is locatedon the Ohio just down stream of the Point, on the same side as Heinz field. It is 1 of 2 places to get fuel in the the Pittsburgh pool, and the cheapest.
If you are going to be in PIT the weekend of the 21st, there is a Poker Run sponsered by Fox Chapel Marina.
Hope the weather holds out for you, too bad I'll be at work and not out this weekend.

enticer
06-12-2003, 06:39 AM
gofast34..........I think you are talking about the lady who owns the marina near the prison. She does not allow paid people to use the ramp.........only memebrs. I had to drag my boat out there after blowing OD.......she was really hostile but let us take out
I have seent he ramp at South Shore...it's not the best.
South Side is a nice ramp.........but I wouldn't trust any of the natives around anything nice...:)
What about Fox Chapel Marina? It's been amny years but what about the marina below the Highland Park dam (Lock 2) on the Allegheny. I have been really busy to even stop lately to see if any of the ramps are worth while

Triple Trouble
06-12-2003, 04:10 PM
Thanks for all of the different options on ramps. At least it will give me someplace to start to look.

At one time we were traveling over 50 miles and 4 locks to get to the point. I don't mind locking through but it's when you sit and wait for long periods of time that takes the fun right out of it.

I was in contact with a salesmen at Fox Chapel about ramps in the area. He directed me to the one at Harmerville but has never used it. He also said that the ramp at their place could handle any trailer-able boat but I have a feeling it is for business purposes only. He was nice enough to reply to my request but I sent another email asking about their ramp and haven't gotten a response back. I stayed at Fox Chapel before with my other boat and it is a real nice place.

Mike,
I will try and contact Den tomorrow and see what he thinks about time wise. I'm guessing early afternoon.

Thanks again everyone!
Cordell