Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

whatever happened to Sunrunner Boats ?

201K views 137 replies 92 participants last post by  joegrapes 
#1 ·
I own a Sun Runner 210B cuddy. Just wondering whatever happened to this company.I was told there was a recall on their boats and this led to their demise? I love these columns Thanks! :yak:

#3 · (Edited)
I think that the "American Made" Sun Runner boats were made at a factory in Spokane, Washington. There is a Company from down-under that also uses the Sunrunner name, but they are different boats altogether.

The Sun Runner was a patented, deep-V, high freeboard, designed hull, that was (I have heard) very sea-friendly, and produced a nice, dry ride. The actual design of their hulls was patented, and I have not seen another like it--since. Some folks think that they used a Wellcraft-designed hull, but I don't think so.

It is also my understanding that the boat came with an unlimited warranty on the hull itself--and it is or was the strongest 'glas powerboat hull ever mass produced.

I am very much interested in buying an 18 to 20 foot Sun Runner and will have one someday. Almost all were IO with
either Volvo/Penta outdrives or Merc outdrives AND were powered by small block Chevy V-8s. I am an old-school hotrodder that can make a small-block sing. But I know very little about the Fords that came in the (for instance) Bayliners, etc.

I also understand the the Sun Runner folks fell upon hard times and that the boats just became too expensive to produce and make a profit. I know nothing of any legal action that may have been a factor in their demise. I have heard that the "Luxury Tax" on boats did them in....

Steady Eddie

#4 ·
I own a 1985 Sunrunner 200s and have for over 12 years. I also am from Spokane, WA where the factory was located. Sunrunner got into financial trouble with their bank and their line of credit was frozen. They sued the bank and were in court for years, before finally losing. The factory there sat - literally just like the day they sent the workers home - for years.

I love my boat - she has a 350 chevy (now rebuilt) with through hull exhaust and she will still go nearly 55 mph. I have won a lot of free beer - nobody can believe that old boat goes that fast with such a deep hull.

They are a great boat as you know!

#5 ·
Sun Runner's had a 10 yr warr on their hull , due to the way they were built . Fiberglass stringer system with no wood to rot . My friend sold his 19 [ was actually 18 and some] with a big bore 4 cyl merc . It was an aluminum block with a 460 BB Ford cyl head on it. It was a good performer and great little boat in rough water with a high freeboard. The larger models were huge compared to similar length boats . The only problem with the 4 cyl jobs was the alternator system , but could be retrofit it with a better aftermarket system .

#6 ·
jamey said:
I own a 1985 Sunrunner 200s and have for over 12 years. I also am from Spokane, WA where the factory was located. Sunrunner got into financial trouble with their bank and their line of credit was frozen. They sued the bank and were in court for years, before finally losing. The factory there sat - literally just like the day they sent the workers home - for years.

I love my boat - she has a 350 chevy (now rebuilt) with through hull exhaust and she will still go nearly 55 mph. I have won a lot of free beer - nobody can believe that old boat goes that fast with such a deep hull.

They are a great boat as you know!
Welcome! How about a pic of your Sunrunner. I have heard of them, but have never seen one.

Pic is worth a thousand words ;)

#16 ·
SunRunner Boats Demise

SunRunner Boats was foound to be in a particular hard spot when the bank that was providing funding called their note when it found out that the owner's were not 'living up to' the contractual obligations (they allowed one of the children to make decisions - a particular no no since the bank had to bring legal actions several years earlier that causedd the reorganization of the company.)

Remember this was a family owned and operated business that was grown by the oldest son of the founder of Fiberform boats of Spokane.

The 'Old Man' had sold Fiberform in the '70's and had a no compete clause with US industries for ten years. The oldest son stared SunRunner ran it into the grouond forcing the 'Old Man' ouot of retirement to salvage some investment he had in the company. reluctantly he brought the business back to life grew it from 55 employees and loads of debt to nearly 550 employees when they were forced by the bank to sell.

The buyer was a "rea piece of Work" from back in the New England area and had wreaked havoc on the employees, the asetts and the properties.

THE END

btw The "Old Man" just recently passed away - one of the original pioneers of the fiberglass boat industry.

#18 ·
Hello Wildbst

I have setup a website dedicated to the Sun Runner owners and would be very interested in any details you wish to share about the history of Sun Runner Marine.
After purchasing a 1986 230 SB this past August, I have become very impressed with the quality of these boats and wish to tell some of the story to others. If you prefer to pass along info in an email:

webmaster@sunrunnerboatowners.com

Thanks Tom

#19 ·
Sun Runner Quality

SunRunner Quality was by far (in my opinion) the best in the industry. From the lay up to the factory and the employees.

The "Old Man" wouldn't rest until he inspected every boat (practically) that was shipped. There were a few (very few) that went out as not as good as "the Olde Man" would have passed on. He took a personal interst and wanted to be known as the finest pleasure and fishing fiberglass boat manufacture around. Hence, the unusual construction techniques he was responsible for. He was a genius and a pioneer in modern boat building.

Hi idea for the dual hull came from a video we had watched at a Marine Manufacturers convention and his desire to make sure that if a boat of his was broken apart that any portion of that boat (no matter how small) would support several people in distress. This was accomplished at an originally high cost in R & D.

Getting the foam core mixture just right so it filled the vooids completely and not de-form the hull was something. We had as many as 50 per cent failure on the first several hundred boats - they were cut up and documented for our insurer so they never left the plant.

He insisted that each mold only have so many plugs pulled from it before it was replaced and these babies were not cheap!

I get back with more whenI have the time.

Wildbst

#134 ·
Sun Runner Quality

SunRunner Quality was by far (in my opinion) the best in the industry. From the lay up to the factory and the employees.

The "Old Man" wouldn't rest until he inspected every boat (practically) that was shipped. There were a few (very few) that went out as not as good as "the Olde Man" would have passed on. He took a personal interst and wanted to be known as the finest pleasure and fishing fiberglass boat manufacture around. Hence, the unusual construction techniques he was responsible for. He was a genius and a pioneer in modern boat building.

Hi idea for the dual hull came from a video we had watched at a Marine Manufacturers convention and his desire to make sure that if a boat of his was broken apart that any portion of that boat (no matter how small) would support several people in distress. This was accomplished at an originally high cost in R & D.

Getting the foam core mixture just right so it filled the vooids completely and not de-form the hull was something. We had as many as 50 per cent failure on the first several hundred boats - they were cut up and documented for our insurer so they never left the plant.

He insisted that each mold only have so many plugs pulled from it before it was replaced and these babies were not cheap!

I get back with more whenI have the time.

Wildbst
Does anyone have the original structural picture from the dual hull foam core structure of Sun Runner 195CV (1991) boat? Or does anyone knows where I could find it? I think that model was manufactured between 1884-1991 and probably the hull structure was same all that time.

Thanks
Arto

#23 ·
We also own a 86 23 SB and love it. We bought it a year ago, and have redone the interior complete and will finish top side this spring. We used her all last summer trouble free. Great ride, but wish she has P/S. Can anyone tell me the best way to add a windlass to her? It has the pulpit attached and am looking for the best mounting location. Cant wait for warm weather.................

#25 ·
Thanks, looks nice. I guess its a capstan type and the rope locker in the pulpit isnt used? Yeah, more hp wouldnt hurt, but mine with an AQ 231 and the Volvo OD with a 14x19 prop isnt too bad, just lazy outta the hole! Playin with the tabs really helped, and timing it the old fashioned way helped too! ..... Bob

#26 ·
Its an aluminum capstain elec. windlass with chain & smooth rollers. Its sits just in front of the opening for the anchor locker. The locker is used in my boat but it gets the inside all wet because of the way the locker drains. Straight into the cuddy... what a stupid idea! I'm going to glass in the locker and put a thru-hull drain in.

I also have a serious leak issue with the engine vents letting water into the engine bay when it rains, and it rains a ton here... I have yet to come up with a nice looking solution, and have ended up with water up to my ps pump after leaving it for a month over the winter(brand new bilge pump switch died). Any brilliant ideas anyone?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.