boaters safety course answers - Speedwake 2.0
Speedwake 2.0
Go Back   Speedwake 2.0 > Main Forums > General Boating Discussions
Click Here to Register

Speedwake 2.0 > Main Forums > General Boating Discussions  >  boaters safety course answers

Post New Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010, 06:15 PM

boaters safety course answers

since i'm only 29 i have to get the permit i have been boating for years not vary good with tests. Does anybody have a cheat sheet for the test?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 06:19 PM

if you take the course it should be no problem,it's basic common sense!
Old 08-25-2010, 06:25 PM

some of the question are really random
1. The red navigation light is on the side of a boat.

2. The legal term means the boat is not moored at the dock, aground or anchored.

3. A(n) engine is a self-contained unit consisting of the power unit, transmission, and propulsion.

4. The placard is mounted near the driver's seat and shows the maximum number of persons and the horsepower rating for the boat.

5. The should be turned on for at least 4 minutes after refueling.

6. The hull identification number is located on the of the boat.

7. One way to minimize theft of your boat and its valuables is to keep it stored in a location.

8. The is the "flat vertical surface" of the stern.

9. When you first arrive at a boat ramp, you should pull off to the side and your boat for launching.

10. A float plan should be given to a or family member before you leave to go boating.

11. Fire extinguishers are required when engines are installed.

12. Pyrotechnic Visual Distress Signals must be approved, in serviceable condition, and readily accessible.

13. All boats using gasoline for electrical generation, mechanical power or propulsion are required to be equipped with a .

14. The exhaust of every internal combustion engine used on any motorized recreational vessel shall be effectively muffled at all times to prevent any excessive or unusual .

15. engines installed in a vessel after April 25, 1940, except outboard motors, must be equipped with an acceptable means of backfire flame control.

16. Vessels 39.4 feet/12 meters or more in length are required to carry on board a whistle or .

17.United States oceangoing vessels of 40 feet or longer, which are engaged in commerce or are equipped with a galley and berthing must have a written plan.

18. There must be a life jacket (Type I, II, or III or V) for each person on the boat, USCG approved, and of the appropriate size for the intended wearer.

19. life jackets are not allowed to be worn when operating or riding on a PWC.

20. The Type IV (throwable) personal flotation device (ring buoy/seat cushion) must be kept at all times when the boat is underway.

21. As the boat operator, the best way to ensure you have explained safety information to new guests is to use a pre-departure .

22. The best way to approach a dock when mooring is to note the direction of the wind and the current and operate the boat at a speed.

23. Boaters when they want to hold the boat in a given position on the water.

24. Boaters should always anchor from the of the boat.

25. To firmly anchor your boat, the amount of line you let out should be times the depth of the water you are anchoring in.

26. are moored to the seabed by concrete sinkers with chain or synthetic rope of various lengths and assist mariners in determining position on the water.

27. When returning from sea, or traveling upstream in a river, colored buoys or daymarkers are on your right side.

28. A uniform state waterway marker (buoy) showing a diamond shape in the center indicates .

29. On the intra-coastal waterway, yellow triangles [] indicate aids should be passed by keeping them on the side of the vessel.

30. Mooring Buoys are white in color with a that is blue in color.

31. When heading down-stream or away from a dam, green buoys are kept on your side.

32. Buoys with orange bands at the top and bottom are authorized by your and enforced by law.

33. By definition, a vessel is one that is propelled by machinery.

34. Every vessel shall, at all times, proceed at speed so that it can take proper and effective action to avoid collision.

35. A can occur if the compass bearing of an approaching vessel does not appreciably change and the distance between the two vessels decreases (constant bearing, decreasing range).

36. The navigation rules require all vessels keep near the side of a channel or fairway.

37. At night, a vessel displays a green and red bow light and a white all-round light (the white light may be a mast head light and stern light).

38. If you are operating a powerboat at night and observe a red bow light and a white light on another boat you must , according to the rules of the road.

39. A only has a stern light and red and green navigation lights.

40. In an overtaking situation, the vessel doing the overtaking is the boat.

41. A down-bound vessel on the rivers has the right of way over up-bound vessels.

42. When approaching a sailing vessel, vessels must stay out of the way.

43. A vessel underway is allowed to turn off all her when there is clear visibility during daylight hours.

44. You can only steer a Personal Watercraft when you apply some .

45. All states require be attached to the operator of a PWC.

46. Before turning left or right, a PWC operator should look to the of the craft.

47. To safely tow a person with a PWC, there should be mirrors and an extra person to observe the progress of the skier.

48. To move around safely in a canoe or small boat, always maintain three .

49. A(n) life jacket is not allowed to be worn when paddling in white-water.

50. All PWC are legally required to carry a USCG-approved in the event of a fire.

51. A smart operator will use 1/3 of the fuel going out, 1/3 for returning and leave of the fuel in reserve.

52. The type of tack (port or starboard) a sailboat is on is determined by the opposite side on which the are carried.

53. The side of a sailboat on which the wind is blowing is referred to as the side.

54. The most common cause of fatal boating accidents result from capsizing and .

55. When maneuvering a boat to retrieve a person who has fallen overboard, approach the person with the of the boat heading into the wind and seas.

56. If your boat runs aground, all persons should put on life jackets and then you should check the for damage.

57. To avoid poisoning keep fresh air circulating throughout the boat.

58. The best way to avoid a fire is to perform regular mechanical and maintenance.

59. If your boat and you are in the water, the preferred course of action is to stay with the boat.

60. A boating accident needs to be reported to your if your passenger falls and receives stitches.

61. The most frequent causes of boating collisions are improper and excessive speed.

62. To help protect the marine environment, and phosphate cleaning products should not be used.

63. The most dangerous section of a lowhead dam is the side.

64. Boaters must stay a minimum distance away from .

65. A red flag with a white diagonal stripe indicates that a or snorkeler is in the water.

66. You may proceed into a lock when the indicator light is .

67. The controls the speed of the boat while water skiing.

68. must not be spread from one water system to another.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:47 PM

It's simple. Cheating is defeating the whole damn purpose.

1978 Wellcraft Nova 210XL
Old 08-25-2010, 08:50 PM
You BLOT that schit!

Yeah, might as well roll totally illegal like i have the last ten years.
Posted via Speedwake Mobile
Old 08-25-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova 210 View Post
It's simple. Cheating is defeating the whole damn purpose.
Exactly my thought!
Old 08-25-2010, 09:02 PM
You BLOT that schit!

Wait, what is the law in MD? I didn't realize your location.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJDiesel View Post
Wait, what is the law in MD? I didn't realize your location.
Born after 72 you gotta take it.

I was out of boating for a long period, and even though I was born in 67 I took it and OMFG I didn't cheat either.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:42 PM

jeeesus.... just take the dam course
Old 08-26-2010, 04:51 AM

My 11 year old son just took his FIRST class here in MI a couple weeks ago. 100% on the test. His buddy, 12 years old, missed 2 questions. They were best in class. He won't even be able to pilot a boat for another year but he's ready and will run through the class next year again. He rides around our lake on our boat (me driving) and is STUNNED by the A-hole adult drivers doing STUPID $hit that they should have learned years ago. I took a refresher myself about 5 years back just to stay up to date and it reduced my insurance premiums 15%. I would do it again if I could know EVERYONE had at least taken the class. I REALLY WISH Michigan would force everyone driving a boat or watercraft to take the class. Most should be common sense, but everyone will learn some little tid bit that they did not realize!!!
Old 08-26-2010, 04:53 AM

Oh yeah...
Don't try and cheat, pay attention in class and make us all safer!
It isn't that difficult!
Old 08-26-2010, 04:54 AM

If you can't or don't pass

sell the boat

get off the water
Old 08-26-2010, 06:43 AM

The important issue has been brought up here in several different ways (some less subtle than others!). Boating is NOT like riding around in a car, and should therefore be taken seriously. The key point is not your test score, per se, but whether or not you learn and remember the rules and procedures. Those who don't take the time to learn usually wind up having a bad experience on the water, because they either:

1. Upset other boaters by not understanding and heeding the navigational rules.
2. Wind up having some sort of bad experience because they didn't plan or operate the boat correctly.
3. Put themselves and others in danger by ignoring or not being aware of safety measures.
4. Get in trouble with the various law enforcement agencies.

This is all especially important on Chesapeake Bay. There is lots of water, lots of traffic, and the conditions can get very challenging (even life-threatening) very quickly. Do yourself a favor and take all the time you need to get to know all you can. You'll have a much better boating experience.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:46 AM

I'm with the others. Just study and take the test, it's not hard.

I have to say that many of those questions are not really relevant to safety. When I took the class it seemed like they spent WAY too much time on how to tie knots.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Senile Member

I took the safe boating courses at a very young age and later as an adult, became Educational Officer of the US Power Squadron and taught numerous classes. For the past 46 years I have safely sailed and cruised in every conceivable condition. My number one priority now days is to assure my grand babies are returned to the dock safely after an enjoyable day on the water. Heaven help the careless, uneducated operator that ever prevents that from happening.

Please, Please do yourself, your family, your guests, and your fellow boaters a huge favor and leave the ship on the hard until you have acquired the basic knowledge needed to operate it safely.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eivlwayz View Post
since i'm only 29 i have to get the permit i have been boating for years not vary good with tests. Does anybody have a cheat sheet for the test?

In my opinion everyone should be required to take it.

Way too many knuckleheads on the Bay without a clue.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:03 PM

I posted this lastnight when I was taken a practice test after starting the course on line . I understand a lot more the wording on the question were throwing me of,I'm not good with books and tests. I understand where everyone is coming from as far as taking the course.and knowing the rules for everyone sake
Posted via Speedwake Mobile
Old 08-26-2010, 08:33 PM

Thumbs up

Right on!

Chapman's Piloting and Seamanship is an AWESOME book, I read it all the time to reinforce safe boating.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:35 AM

This is just another example of the prevelent mentality in these times. I want it now and I dont want to do anything to earn it. How can I beat the system, instant gratification without doing anything to earning it.
Hopefully you study and pass the test, you actually learn something instead of just getting a passing grade. It may save your life someday.

Last edited by Beak Boater; 08-27-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beak Boater View Post
This is just another example of the prevelent mentality in these times. I want it now and I dont want to do anything to earn it. How can I beat the system, instant gratification without doing anything to earning it.
Hopefully you study and pass the test, you actually learn something instead of just getting a passing grade. It may save your life someday.
And what is just as disconcerting is.........people have no problem making it public that they operate this way!