Purchasing 88 242 ls what to look for? - Speedwake 2.0

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Purchasing 88 242 ls what to look for?

Hi all! Very new to this forum but I’ve been around boating for a while now.
Been looking to “upgrade” to a different boat for the last few months. Started with a 86 18ft sea Ray Seville. Good learning boat but rode like crap and was too small. Specially in the barnegate bay.
what I’m looking for:
Room for family
Ride quality
Speed (to an extent)
Quality of boat.
All of this has led me to searches for a formula. Preferably a 242. Fits all the above factors well.
Now What I’ve found.
It’s a 1988 242 ls with a 454 mag and bravo one.
Have not seen in person but the listing has it in amazing condition both interior and exterior. Downside is the block is cracked. Upside... I have another 454 block waiting for it and the asking price is low enough at 3g’s where I’ll have no problem with putting the engine work in.

What I wanna know is what are some common problems or things I should be looking for when I got to check it out? Such as common hull spots or stringer issues, interior problems, electrical, etc. and maybe some tips on how to check. Also if it does have some of these problems should I just turn away or are there some decent fixes to be made if I go ahead and purchase anyway. For how clean it looks in the pics I find it hard to believe Ill turn it away when I’ve seen similar condition 242’s in running order going for 20g’s.
Looking forward to hopefully joining the formula owner family and would greatly appreciate your words of wisdom or advice
Thanks!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 04:40 PM

First, It's a great boat. I had one with a 502. Ran about 60. Very good ride - smooth.

The factory is vcery helpfull and will supply all the original specs of your specific boat along with parts and advice.

Look at the usual, transom, stringers. Floor is less of an issue. May need new fuel tank and plumbing. Fuel pick up is plastic and needs to be replasced with metal but this is a small, easy job. Then all the usual stuff with the outdrive, gamble, bellows etc.

Good luck
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook