Bad News from Sea Isle City, NJ/ - Speedwake 2.0

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Escaped Lunatic

Bad News from Sea Isle City, NJ/

Yesterday afternoon a brand new 36' Skater with three men aboard flipped off the NJ Coast town of Sea Isle City. Sea Isle is south of Atlantic City and close to Cape May.

The three are missing and presumed drowned.

I saw news footage last night of the Skater's nose bobbing up and down out of the water.

The news showed the boat being lifted out of the water by a crane. The seats were ripped out, the caopies torn off and there was fiberglass damage to the top rear of the boat consistent with a high speed capsizing. The boat had the big SSM drives and was reported to have twin 1000 HP engines and cost $400,000 and was literally brand new.

The name of the boat was "BAD CAT".

what a shame.

The names of the three men have not been released by the police yet. However the news footage showed a family member at the scene to identify the boat.

- jeff

Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 07:40 AM

Jeff,was this some sorta race,or a race boat they were out testing ?

This isn't the same boat you asked Mitcher T about is it??
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Escaped Lunatic

I'm not sure. The news said theses guys were returning from lunch somewhere when the boat capsized at high speed. The boat I was asking Mitcher about was called "TOM CAT".

- jeff

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 07:52 AM

On the news story I read it said the boat was "Bad Kat"
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Escaped Lunatic

Boat Flips Over in Sea Isle City

Email This Story
Print This Story

(KYW) (SEA ISLE CITY, NJ) May 27, 2002 8:52 pm US/Eastern
The U.S. Coast Guard is on the scene of a boating accident in Sea Isle City in which a boat flipped over with an unknown number of people on board.

A Coast Guard spokesman said it was unclear if anyone that was on board when the boat flipped at about 3:45 p.m. was still in the water Monday night. He said there were witnesses on shore when the twin-hulled, off-shore racing craft flipped, but they weren't sure if any boaters made it to safety or were even in the water.

The incident occurred off the 78th St. beach, which is near the Coast Guard station.

The Coast Guard was using a helicopter and three boats in the search, which was to continue into the night.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Escaped Lunatic

3 missing in Sea Isla boat crash
Hudson County man dies in 1-car crash on parkway
By DAN P. LEE Staff Writer, (609) 272-7209

Three area people are missing and presumed dead after their cigarette-style racing boat crested a wave and capsized approximately one mile off the 78th Street beach in Sea Isle City on Monday.

Also on Monday, in nearby Upper Township, one person was killed and four others were injured in a one-car crash near milepost 21 on the Garden State Parkway, bringing the area's Memorial Day death toll presumably to four.

Ricardo Pallarez, 20, of West New York, Hudson County, was pronounced dead at the scene following the 2:32 p.m. accident in the northbound lanes of the parkway. Police said the driver, Nadia S. Borges, 18, of the same town, lost control of the vehicle, swinging it across both lanes of the northbound roadway and sending it flipping onto the forested median.

The identities of the victims of the boating accident were being withheld Monday night, pending notification of their families. Authorities said they had little information about the incident beyond what witnesses, who called 911 at about 3:30 p.m., reported seeing.

One witness - Mike Mackenzie of Washington Township in Gloucester County - said he was sitting on the second-floor porch of a 78th Street beachfront house when he heard a loud noise in the distance. Mackenzie said he looked up to see a speedboat cruising at a high rate of speed across the choppy water.

Mackenzie said the boat, which was heading north, hit a large wave and was sent airborne. The boat flew several yards and turned sideways before striking the water nose-first.

At that point, the boat spun around "like a top, half-in and half-out of the water," Mackenzie said. "Then it began to sink, till all you saw was the bow on top of the water."

The boat was too far out from the shore for Mackenzie to make out any people on board, he said, so he ran inside for a pair of binoculars while another person at the house called authorities. When he returned to the porch and pointed the binoculars toward the scene, Mackenzie saw no movement in the water.

"There was nobody splashing around or anything," he said. "At the speed he was going and the way the boat was spinning around I don't think anybody had much of a chance."

Mackenzie said the entire incident happened within 30 seconds.

A Coast Guard rescue helicopter was on the scene within minutes, accompanied by five boats from the Marine Police and several rescue divers. The Coast Guard also dispensed three rescue boats, along with another helicopter later in the afternoon.

The two helicopters and several boats patrolled the scene through the afternoon and into the night. As of press time, no survivors had been found.

Dozens of vacationers and residents gathered on the beach after hearing the noise of the helicopter. As children played in the sand, a television news reporter delivered a live report a few feet from the surf.

Authorities said Monday night that they were not optimistic about finding survivors.

The ocean water temperature hovered around 60 degrees Monday, and the water was choppy, with waves of two to three feet. Humans can generally survive in 60-degree water for about four to six hours, said Marine Police Trooper Michael Maslowski.

Maslowski said it is not believed the three were wearing lifejackets.

"Obviously, they weren't (wearing lifejackets), because even if they were unconscious, and had been wearing lifejackets, we would have found somebody," he said.

Maslowski identified the boat as a 36-foot Douglas Skater catamaran racing-style boat, and said a Marine Police officer had observed the boat cruising across the water earlier in the day.

"It was pretty noticeable because the boat was traveling at a high rate of speed," he said. "And when they're moving like that, they send off a large plume of water, which is kind of noticeable," he said.

Marine Police recovered the boat later in the afternoon and towed it to a marina in Avalon. Investigators were combing the boat for clues Monday night, Maslowski said.

The Douglas Skater is a high-performance craft capable of speeds of more than 120 miles per hour, according to several boating sites on the World Wide Web. Some models offer engines with power in excess of 1,000 horsepower.

Police identified the other victims of the parkway crash as Maria Diaz, 18, and Henry Diaz, 20, both of North Bergen, Hudson County; and Carlos Navas, 17, of West New York, also Hudson County.

The driver of the car, Nadia S. Borges, and Maria Diaz were transported to Shore Memorial Hospital in Somers Point, where they were treated and released.

Henry Diaz suffered head trauma and was flown by helicopter to the Regional Trauma Unit at Atlantic City Medical Center, City Division, where he was listed in stable condition Monday night.

Navas also suffered head trauma and was transported by ambulance to ACMC's City Division, where he was also listed in stable condition.

Pallarez was trapped in the vehicle, which came to a rest on its roof, and had to be extricated by emergency personnel, police said.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Escaped Lunatic

names released in article...
Please ignore the supid remark in the article by a state tropper that said the boat was designed for use on a lake not the ocean...

how tragic...

http://www.nbc10.com/news/1482147/detail.html

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Escaped Lunatic

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 10:10 PM

My condolences, and from the entire TEAM BAJA MARINE community.
This was too close to home for my taste and I know the waters they were in all to well.
Please be safe out there and have a great boating season!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 11:05 PM

Man,I know its boating,but it creeps me out to hear this chit.It seems that there has been a lot more boating deaths in the last couple of months. My condolences go out to their family members.Like team baja marine stated,lets have a safe boating season.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by 1boatnut
Man,I know its boating,but it creeps me out to hear this chit.It seems that there has been a lot more boating deaths in the last couple of months. My condolences go out to their family members.Like team baja marine stated,lets have a safe boating season.
Well Said B'nut!
BE SAFE THIS SUMMER.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Escaped Lunatic

I know I can speak for everyone here on the forum when I say we are all very saddened by this event. The brother that was reportedly driving at the time has over 10 years of high performance boating experience and it was just one of those tragic events.

It has certainly served as a wake-up call for me when I say that I'll be wearing my life vest from now on and my lanyard will be securely attached when I go out from now on.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

I don't recognize the boat name and don't know the owners. It also hits close to home here. Skater is a half an hour from here and I know the people well. My condolences to the families.

Please Support Speedwake, Only $25 per year !
"Great Merchandise Available in The Store"
www.speedwakestore.com
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

I'm sure Skater will be pleased to hear that they only build " LAKE BOATS " some people should just keep there mouths shut. Hmmmm I would put money that I know one cop who is not a boater !!!!

Just when I make something idiot proof, someone else makes a better idiot !!!!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

It's hard to find words to put things in perspective here and some people say I am way off base. It is unfortunate that our sport that gives us such great pleasure can cause such great pain. My thoughts and prayers go out to there family and friends.

That being said,,,,,,and again this is just my personal feeling, but there are so many ways life has been tragically ended early,,,,,,, I feel that is a person goes doing what he loves and enjoys we should get a certain amount of comfort from that. I am sure that if this didnt take there lives, if they had the means to replace/ fix that boat, they would have been out there as soon as possible. It is unfortunate that he took people with him and there ages I only hope they enjoyed the sport as much as he did. I cant put words or feelings into others minds, all I can say is if that was me I would have had a chit eating grin on my face till it was to late,,,,, followed by a oh f%^k im sure but if my words dont come across right, I hope you get my meaning.......

Just when I make something idiot proof, someone else makes a better idiot !!!!
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2002, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Escaped Lunatic

Body Of One Missing Boater Washes Ashore
Tentative Identification Made By Police

POSTED: 1:51 p.m. EDT June 5, 2002
UPDATED: 6:27 p.m. EDT June 5, 2002

UPPER TOWNSHIP, N.J. -- A body that washed ashore has been identified as that of one of three brothers missing since their speedboat flipped on Memorial Day.

A fisherman casting from the beach in Strathmere found the body about 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, according to Sgt. Al Della Fave, a spokesman for the New Jersey State Police.

The body was carrying a wallet that contained the driver's license of James J. Malia, 20, of Williamstown, Della Fave said.

Positive identification must still come from an autopsy, Della Fave said.

Jeffrey M. Malia, 35, of Glassboro, Joel Malia, 32, of Blackwood, and James J. Malia were headed up the coast to join family members at a gathering in Brigantine when their vessel encountered rough water off Townsend's Inlet.

Witnesses said the "Bad Kat" -- a 37-foot twin-hulled Skater, made by Douglas Marine Corp. -- was traveling 80 mph or faster when it flipped over, ejecting all three.

The victims, who apparently were not wearing life jackets, were thrown into 60-degree water about 1.2 miles offshore.

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 05:19 PM

June 5, 2002 apparently the body of of James J. Malia, 20, of Williamstown was found. When were the bodies of his brothers found?