Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
541 - 560 of 571 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Any of you guys know what the hull is made of on our boats? Is there any balsa wood? Asking because i would like to install a thru hull depth sounder... instead of the transom mounted fish finder i have now on my dash now.
Don't do it ... better ways for a hull to loose it's virginity - do a shoot thru the hull transducer that will work just as good.. not Jacques Cousteau precision at 200ft but the precision in even the less expensive ones now is quite accurate.

Do the peanut butter technique - use the PB (Creamy) to temporarily mount the transducer head where there is a clear area away from stringers/strakes and move it around until you find the best spot. Then mount with 4200 or epoxy with no air voids and will work fine.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Don't do it ... better ways for a hull to loose it's virginity - do a shoot thru the hull transducer that will work just as good.. not Jacques Cousteau precision at 200ft but the precision in even the less expensive ones now is quite accurate.

Do the peanut butter technique - use the PB (Creamy) to temporarily mount the transducer head where there is a clear area away from stringers/strakes and move it around until you find the best spot. Then mount with 4200 or epoxy with no air voids and will work fine.
Hey Woogie, been awhile! I already have a thru transom transducer setup... so I would just plug up the holes and do the thru hull setup instead OR since I already have the transom setup just go with that... Kinda torn on what way to go...

And, Im getting the windshield powder coated white as we speak!! Cant wait to get it put together!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just got done with the windshield, powdercoated it white and put new gaskets in and tinted the windows with a light 50% tint. Ill be installing it towards spring when the temps are warmer, just because I can hit some gelcoat spots with the wheel/buffer that I cant get with the windshield installed. Im sure the boat will look much more updated and better looking all around.

My fiance is bugging me non stop because its been sitting on our spare bedroom bed, but I like peaking in the room from time to time just to admire my work... lol

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well fellas... finally got the windshield installed last weekend along with a few other things... still deciding how I want the upholstery to be done... may take a month to figure it out and have it completed... but its not going to stop me from taking her out this weekend and see what the new 383 can do. 490hp should make her scream! Added a new livorsi shifter too... was so sick of the old quicksilver's sloppiness.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
So after SOME testing... getting 71-74 out of the 383 with a 23 mirage plus. Rpms are 5100-5200... BUT... the boat is not stable at all as the rpms keep going up.... Its either all over the place or want to tip over on the port nose side. Been told to switch to a rev 4 or a bravo 1 22p-23p and switch the battery to the starboard side and remove the 2 inch speedometer hanging on the transoms starboard side. See how it goes... But hey... Im in the 70+ club now. :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
You guys think its worth adding an aluminum swim platform to the xlt? The wife is sick and tire of climbing in and out of our boat... I know for a fact that we will own the boat for another 3-4 years knowing we just purchased a house on inland lake that the boat itself is perfect for... about a 800 acre lake. I got quoted 800 bucks for one.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
I like either those or a fiberglass one.
My last deck boat had a huge fiberglass one.
It was surprising how much time we spent "backwards".
The rear flip flop laydown seat helped, but I bet your sun pad will get a lot of seat use with feet hanging on the platform.
Son wakeboards, so something like that is real important..
Getting in and out w/o a platform and a board on is rough.
Kid and his friends are bigger than I am now, so lifting them in and out is a chore.

Attachments

541 - 560 of 571 Posts