Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1980 115hp merc, 2 stroke, 3 carbs. On my first outing this season I blew through 25 gallons way too fast. I have calculated that I am burning a gallon for every 3 miles traveled if I am lucky. Is this normal for this old motor? I have ordered 3 carb rebuild kits and will install those in a few days. I have been unable to find any fuel leaks.

Another issue I am having is that it seems to idle a little rough and it will die when put it into gear if I am not rev'ing it up.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Those old inlines are as reliable as they get, it should also be doing a little better on fuel then it is. Rebuild the carbs, do a compression check and put some new plugs in and see where that gets you as a start.

Does it seem down on power? I know the Stator on those can go bad and cause them to run poorly.

www.screamandfly.com has some outboard guru's and some inline 6 guru's that can really give you much more detailed experience and troubleshooting then I ever could.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a little down on power, 33mph wot instead of 38. I had it serviced before salmon season, they changed the oil, lubed it and changed plugs. Last season I was getting more like 10 mpg.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts