Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i just got my 85 242LS. it needs a bit of work but after 23 years of use what doesn't..... when i first got it i ran a 49 MPH pass on GPS.........neddless to say i was less than impressed. after i hooked the vacume gauge to the carbs and got them dialed in, i also put the timing gun to it and got that where it needed to be. so, now it runs a 61mph on GPS. were there any tricks to these boats that i may be missing out on?

just for the info, its got alpha drives with a 1.50 ratio, and 3 blade 19 pitch aluminum props.

any ideas?

·
Registered
47 Posts
What do you have for power? I can top out in the low 60's with twin 350's with 21p Mirage Plus'. But that was before I did all the work to it so we'll see what I get this time around. Mines a 85 242 LS.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just the stock 260 hp 350cid. but im wondering how much life is left in them...

what props have u tryed on ur boat? i know i need new ones but im still not sold on which ones i want. i was also thinkin of changing one drive to a counter rotation so i can get some more lift on the stern.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the stock 350's but they are newer (repowered in 1997). I don't have the counter rotating drives though, I just end up triming one tab slightly lower to compensate. Haven't experimented with props yet, the ones I have are Mirage Plus and are supposedly like $600. Boat has only been in the water once since I've done all the work to it so I'm not at that point yet.

How many hours on the engines? They must be getting up there in age if they're original power.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
see and that is just my problem. boat doesnt have an hour meter on it so i really have no clue what kind of time is on them.

what i want to do is locate a second alpha ss lower unit to lift my props the extra 2 inches. that way i can run an agressive set of cleavers. i just dont want to get to deep into this boat due to the fact that im not keepeing it long. i want to step up into a 30 foot or bigger soon.

·
Registered
794 Posts
If you plan on selling I would just leave it. 61 doesn't seem out of whack for that boat.

p.s. I was just in Orillia boating a few weeks ago. We anchored at Big Chief and docked at the marina right in Orillia. What a great place.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya a weekend at the island is awsome, im there any day off i get. if ur lookin for some fun on a long weekend, come to the island. live bands r out there, parties break out all over the place. reguardless of what ppl may say, the cops r not that bad out there.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I didn't have any problems with the cops. They drove through a couple of times but I think you have to be doing something pretty stupid to get in trouble. The live band wasn't out because it rained all morning both days but the afternoon was sunny. 4 years ago we rented a houseboat from Suters boat rentals and anchored there for the weekend and had a blast too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well if ur free on the aug 1st long weekend come on up. rope up with us and hang out, i just hope the sun shines for us that weekend.

let me know if ur interested in commin out.

·
Registered
794 Posts
We actually were planning on going but now it looks like its a no go. If we though I'll get a hold of you on here or if we see you we'll stop by. What color is your boat?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
its a red 242. its not to hard to find. the only other formula i'v seen out there is a red 357 sr1.
well i hope ya come on out, my names is steve. it should be good times.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts