Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 222 elite, that has been in my possession now for about 4 years. I bought it with a cracked block. I pulled the motor and had a local shop due a basic long block rebuild with a mild cam (comp cam 12-206-2). I added a bow tie cast iron high rise dual plane intake. After everything was reinstalled performance was well, lackluster to say the least. The stainless prop was ate up, so I had it redone by turbo props and dropped to a 18 pitch. Here's a picture of the boat when I first bought it.....what was I thinking!

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After the prop work the boat would run about 46 (speedo) with me alone and could barely pull a skier with three in the boat. So I decided to tear the top end apart. I bolted up new 200cc port/64cc heads, hardened push rods, roller rockers, rpm air gap manifold, glm aluminum exhaust manifolds and an edelbrock 1409 carb with a k&n flame arrestor. At the same time we had the interior redone and I buffed the heck out of that boat until my arms were useless. Here are some after shots.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So now to the good and bad. I did the top end rebuild with very little name brand parts. Basically the parts that make you cringe when you hear there names, I used them. The good news is that for two seasons of torture everything is working like a charm, (knock, knock). I am currently at 56 mph gps turning a 21p mirage plus at 5000rpms. Obviously I need some more speed!
The boat definitely needs more cam now, but unless there is an easy way to change it in the boat, I am not ready to pull the motor out. If that happens there will be a stroker in the near future. So, I am looking for little tweaks to tune what I have for now. I was thinking maybe a super sucker, stub stack...etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Here are the current stats.

222 elite xl cuddy
3900 lbs. dry weight
started as a 260hp 350, now bored 0.40 over
alpha one turning a 21p
56 mph gps at 5000 rpm

Original prop was a 14" diameter 18p
With the new setup it would only go 50 gps at 5500rpms and the prop looked like it was getting hot, turning a blue color possibly due to slippage.

I have tried a turbo prop 3 blade 14 1/4" diameter 21p
Results were 53 gps at 5000 rpms

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
If it weighs 3900 empty your looking at 4500-5000 with fuel,people,coolers,etc..
Thats a lot of weight for a small block..
Thats a lotlike my boat, I also had a stock 260/350 (48mph)then went to a stock 300/350Mag (54mph) , problem was if you propped it for speed it would struggle to get on plane, if you propped to get on plane easily fully loaded the top speed was slow. When the 350 blew up I went to a stock 310/454 (57mph) and problem solved. Picked up only a few mph but it pops on plane with just a touch of throttle. 350 just doesnt have the torque , a stroker small block would probably work too but at a much higher cost than a run of the mill stock 454. Now I blewup the 454 I am going to a 502,,not so stock..
;)

Chaparral 21XLC Merc 502/Alpha

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HTRDLNCN; Thanks for the input. How bad was your big block swap? Any serious issues to look out for? I guess, I could just enjoy it the way it is for now and if any engine issues arrive swap in a big block or just purchase a newer boat. Although I enjoy the old school look. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.