Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm posting this mostly as reference so others searching can find it -- but here goes.

If you've got a later OMC King Cobra and the trim sending unit failed you've basically got no solution -- called ALL the big OMC part dealers Doug Rusell, Sea-Way etc.

Part # OMC 0986143 which later became 3853920 is NLA even for a fortune (most other OMC parts you can get, you just pay a fortune).

I was able to replace this with BRP Trim Sender P/N is 3855535 this also has now become part # VOL 3849411. The only difference is it's a three wire instead of a 2 wire I just didn't use the second ground.

It's from a Volvo SX drive, Hope this helps somebody else out. I originally located this information here: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?p=608680#post608680 I am able to confirm that it works...I admit I was skeptical.

Hopefully this helps someone else out. My guess is there are a bazillion people driving around without trim gauges...you don't really need it, but it's nice to be able to just glance down and see where you are!

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
Great post and thanks for all the info.

I don't have an OMC now but I really like the Cobra series and I would not hesitate to run a King with cones any day. I like them better than a Bravo in several areas of comparison.

Where there is a will there is a way and it sounds like you found a viable option. It is too bad that some really good products get phased out due to product marketing, buy outs etc. :(

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I honestly got sick of people telling me I was screwed, I couldn't believe I was stuck over a freakin' potentiometer, I'm an engineer and these aren't that damn complicated. I purchased two othes units I thought looked like they should bolt up with no luck, so I searched like crazy when I ran across that post on the donzi registry -- that's why I made the title of this thread so long -- to narrow it down and easier to find for others. I simply could not believe somebody hadn't figured out a solution to this problem...

This saved me from trying to use the housing and making my own...letting an engineer make something never turns out good :)

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
My 1998 Volvo Cobra SX parts are nearly all the same as OMC.
Schematics and listings used by the marinas for my parts are all the same.
I do not think anything besides the decals and labels were changed between OMC and my Volvo Penta.

Of course that is only a 4.3 v-6, but may be a place to start when you get the story of OMC is done and nothing is available:(

·
Registered
635 Posts
Omc

Thank you you found a good solution !! I really get tired of people telling me OMC is crap wrong wrong wrong very strong units and if you go to ebay and type in OMC there is 35 pages of parts and solutions. I had a power steering pump go out dealer price was $239.00 and a week to get NAPA $54.00 and on the shelf.

Thanks for posting Gregg

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
I honesty got sick of people telling me I was screwed, I couldn't believe I was stuck over a freakin' potentiometer,

I agree! Too simple of a part.

Tell me I have no options and I start thinking how I'm going to make something work or make some options. :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree! Too simple of a part.

Tell me I have no options and I start thinking how I'm going to make something work or make some options. :D :D :D
Exactly -- that's part of the experience I suppose :)

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
I really get tired of people telling me OMC is crap

I think those who diss on OMC are only speaking from a lack of knowledge and their answers show it. OMC was bought out because competition is fierce. The quality of the Cobra series demonstrates a service record of far less repairs than any Merc product, hands down. The new owner Volvo now markets that same thing with huge success. If OMC/Volvo ever got into the performance arena with Merc the resulting competition would get even more fierce. :D
I for one would love to see it!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
hopefully someone can help, the number on my sending unit is 913934, the drive is a 1992 King Cobra

does anyone know anything about this part number?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks for the info guys,

I had a break in the wire 8-10" from the sender it self. I was able to get the trim sender and gauge to work by removing it and connecting it inside the motor well to the electrical connector directly where the pigtail off the sender usually ties in.

now I have to try to gain access inside the boat to loosen the cable at the transom assembly to let some slack out so I can make a repair... this does not look very accessible!!! any tips?

·
Registered
147 Posts
BTW, actually put the boat in this weekend finally, it ran great but it was too windy/choppy to run her hard, it will be great to get this trim gauge working!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cannot find where the wire enters the engine compartment

I have a 1990 !8' classic 350 OMC King Cobra drive Can some please tell me where the wires enter inside the engine compartment.
I cannot locate them so I can put on a new trim unit and splice the wires inside the boat.

Many thanks,

Harry

[email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
hopefully someone can help, the number on my sending unit is 913934, the drive is a 1992 King Cobra

does anyone know anything about this part number?
Mark,

Did you ever come up with a part to match? I have the exact same sender that's bad.

Thanks,

Bill

1 - 17 of 17 Posts