Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I bought a carb and manifold a few months back,with the hopes of modifying my engine.I had a cam ordered that was on Eternal backorder.
(stuchamp you know about these things)
Well I started calling around and found out Summitt had one in stock..It was here in 2 days.Yippee......Now the install...here's the don't try this at home part. It sucks replacing a cam with the motor still in the boat. I had such a hard time getting the timing cover on,I almost completely dropped the oil pan,in the boat.That is no fun....Well after numerous trips to the speed shop,I think I have everything to complete the job tomorrow...Everyone keep their fingers crossed that it stays together:confused:

Here are a few pictures of the job in progress.....I know the bilge area is a mess,but when I'm all done,maybe I can con Mrs.1boatnut to clean it........... NOT......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
No pity ,,I told you not to do it in the boat !!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Dont feel bad,,, I just did a compression test after running the motor a while,,,it aint much better !!!!!

145, 135, 135, 138, 140, 140, 105 !!!!, 95 !!!!! OUCH !!!!!!!!! #7and #6 are my low cyls,,,,cmon baby just hold together till NOvember 1st. !!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
Boatnut,

Why didn't ypu listen to Obnoxus?

How many pounds did you lose sweating over that sucker today?

Goood luck-it had to be a struggle. Will you be able to outrun Ob with the extra speed????

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
gilla,lost about 3 extra pounds just this morning.

As far as ob,I usually try not to listen to him too much. Look at the experience I,ve gained:confused:
As far as faster ,who knows.......not that concerned.Speed is as deep as your wallet allows:D

But I've had this stuff for awhile in my garage stareing at me saying,cmon 1boatnut......let's go

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey gilla,just noticed obnoxus runing 95lbs of compression.......all I have to do is push him a little and....... Kaboom, Then I'll be way faster:D

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Hey,,, I still have 6 good cylinders left !!!!!!!!!!!

Besides,,,, you have to stop every 5 minutes to top off the oil from that leak your going to have from the timing chain cover!!!! and if your faster you wont be able to brag to much,,, I'm only running on 6 good holes !!!!!!!!

Hmmmm 70+ down on power ,,, wait till after the rebuild !!!!!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
1boatnut said:
hey gilla,just noticed obnoxus runing 95lbs of compression.......all I have to do is push him a little and....... Kaboom, Then I'll be way faster:D
Come on guys play nice. :D :D Any of you guys want to do a fun run to St. Joe or Racine? If the weather is nice it will be a fun run. It would be a good way to stress test your engines. I need a picture of a mushroom cloud inserted here. :eek: BN good luck on the project. I like the blue. You’re turning into a show boy.

Dan

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
obnoxus said:
Hey,,, I still have 6 good cylinders left !!!!!!!!!!!

Besides,,,, you have to stop every 5 minutes to top off the oil from that leak your going to have from the timing chain cover!!!! and if your faster you wont be able to brag to much,,, I'm only running on 6 good holes !!!!!!!!

Hmmmm 70+ down on power ,,, wait till after the rebuild !!!!!

I plan on putting a pan under the whole entire bottom of the motor with a recirculating pump to put the oil right back in.

As far as bragging rights....Faster is Faster.No excuses....There are no wait until after,when it comes to speed.Like I said,speed depends on how deep your pockets are........
The good news is,(for you)with me starting school,I wont be out for the weekends half of August and most of September.:( So IF I am faster,I only have a few weeks left to embarrass you.....Plus the money you are going to spend,is satisfaction enough for me.So I Win twice:D

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey,just think,you still might be faster. Then you can post your brains out how I foolishly spent the money to upgrade my motor,and your still faster with 2 low compression holes.

Think of the enjoyment you will get from that....

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
1boatnut said:
Hey,just think,you still might be faster. Then you can post your brains out how I foolishly spent the money to upgrade my motor,and your still faster with 2 low compression holes.

Think of the enjoyment you will get from that....
I HAVE BEEN !!!!!!!!!!:lick: :lick: :D :D ;)

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The other side to this is I can go out and GPS my boat and not let you know the results. This way it will drive you crazy,and you won't no what the hell to do:laugh: :lick: :lick:

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
You wont go out alone though,,,, you nedd someone to go with you to tow you back !!!!!!!!

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
obnoxus said:
You wont go out alone though,,,, you nedd someone to go with you to tow you back !!!!!!!!

this reply is from 1boatnut at enigma's computer.............
What makes you think I wont go out alone,I've done everything else alone.......
I can always call Tow Boat U.S
or I can have Jeff Or Skip come,and you will never know about it.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:gunner:

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well kiddies......it runs.So far looks like no leaks,but I'm working in my driveway and it was dusk when I finally fired it up.

On the 1st crank,the carb caught fire.....oops:confused:

I farted around with the timing a little,and no more pop's or backfire.

You can HEAR the cam. Boat definately got louder.
Oh well,hopefully tomorrow I can get it dialed in.!st on my driveway,then maybe out on the water for some blasts and checking the jetting..........Everyone keep your fingers crossed,and hope I don't burn up..:(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts