Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well everyone,if you own a 22 scarab and need a windshield you are out of luck!I broke one last summer and got a new one for $790.My 22 sat all winter and just pulled the cover off a couple weeks ago to find my new windshield cracked all by itself.PISSED,I called the dealer I bought it from,and they were cool about it and tried to get me another one.

Here comes the bad news!The company making the windshields had hurricane damage and there molds were destroyed.B.S.,maybe but they said even if I wanted to buy one it is not possible hence there are no molds to make one with and no plans to make another mold at this time!

****!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
whats probably happening is the holes for the screws are drilled and don't have a chamfer.....that and the windshield is probably not laying 100% flat and has some stress put on it in spots.....if it were me i would put a small chamfer on both sides of the hole to help keep it from cracking again.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rock & Wally,I believe you guys are both right.When I bolted it down the last 3-4 screws didn't line up very good.They went in,but at angles.

I should have fixed the holes before installing it.SO much for predrilled holes :angry1:

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Wally said:
whats probably happening is the holes for the screws are drilled and don't have a chamfer.....that and the windshield is probably not laying 100% flat and has some stress put on it in spots.....if it were me i would put a small chamfer on both sides of the hole to help keep it from cracking again.....
SOunds smart. How about some thin rubber neoprene washers on both sides so the hardware and fiberglass don't create a stress point ?

Man, this stinks !

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
another thing you can try is on a bright sunny hot day, run a bead of black silicone along the mounting area and tighten up the windshield after its been sitting out in the sun for an while so it heats up a bit and flex's easier.....then snug it up tight and let the silicone set......then back the tension off the crews a tad so its no stressing the point of contact as much so the combination of the silicone and screw will hold it together

·
Registered
1 Posts
windshield

Have restored two Scarab-1's 86 and 87 (like punishment). They are fun though. Have had luck with an outfit in fla. yachtwindows.com Also found out the holes need to be larger,and insert a rubber washer around the hole.

Good luck;
Chopper

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well you can't tell in the picture but there are rubber washers under the screws.But the dam holes were not predrilled right and didn't line up like they should so the tension cause by the holes being off center I'm sure caused it.

Looks like I am just going to bolt the old one down and chop up the new one and use it to brace the old one and see how it looks and holds up. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just replied to your email John. I forgot to mention that Aime Marine, the place that sold me the windshield that cracked, gave me a phone # for a contact at wellcraft.I never tried calling them because after 2 broken windshields I just don't see spending another $800.I am going to cut up one of my broken ones and use it to reinforce the one that's on the boat.

But anyways here's the contact number at Wellcraft
(941) 753-7811. Mike Carr ext# 547.

If anyone calls and gets lucky please post a reply to this thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i talked to donzi direct .com [ ask for sunny, is her name] she said they have a mold there but would only bring it out for a production run if i found 4 more guys that need a new windscreen. I have a 96 22 ft scarab that needs to be replaced too. So to any of you scarab bros all we need is 5 of us total and were set to go . Im in, so 4 more and were fixed, price i got from her was 650 U.S dollars . Im in canada so thats like 900 but these things are almost impossible to replace so ........ let me know if your interested we can line it up thru donzi direct , theyre number is 941 527 1433 my email is [email protected]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.