Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there I am new to the forum. I am thinking of purchasing a 23' wellcraft concept (1988). From what I heard this boat was the concept boat for the scarab design back in 1988 and they only made it for one yr. I don't know much about the boat but was hoping someone here did? I am a bit nervous buying a boat that was only made for one year just in case there were some issues with it. There are only two things I find strange about it.....the first is that the exhaust outlets are above the swim platform. The second is that the bench seat in the back doesn't go all the way across so that you can pass through to the swim platform easily...strange. Anyhow, anything anyone has to share will be greatly appreciated.

I don't have a picture of the actual boat, but I found some pics online....its the same boat, same colors and everything....

Shows the exhaust...

Shows the interior...

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
There is one here on lake Travis,
I have met out with the owner a couple times
as he is freinds with the people I hang out with.
same exact boat except different colored stripes.
The rear pass thru is extremely cool to have at the cove.
In the pic its the third boat out.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One more question. I don't have a lift so this boat will basically be in the slip (in the water) for the whole season. I noticed how low this boat sits in the back and most of them have unpainted bottoms. Do you think this will be ok for a boat like this? I know the 22 scarabs are kind of small and low to keep in a slip and most people trailer them or put them on lifts. It is going to sadden me to paint the bottom of this beauty, but I am going to have to do it. It really looks like it sits low though....can you confirm?

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I'm not liking the exhaust deal, I would think that would make a mess on the platform not to mention the slip & trip hazard. Formula used to have that exhaust setup as well prior to the silent thunder. as far as the pass through, that's like 15 years ahead of its time! just about every new runabout I see has the walkthrough now.
the boat looks very similiar to the 21 excell which came I think the next year, I wonder how much in common it has with that one

·
Registered
961 Posts
MarkyMark said:
it looks like the bottom is already painted.

it's definatley a different looking setup.
I think that pic was an example of the boat he's looking at not the actual boat.

User... do you have a trailer you could keep the boat on? It does look pretty cool!

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
A boat well before its time!

look how many boat builders now use this set up (walk thru transom)

And back in the 80's it just would not sell.... Go figure!

None the less I really like the boat!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Boat comes with a trailer....but I live on the water so I would prefer to keep it in the water at the dock behind my house for the season. I am going to have to paint the bottom which will be difficult guessing how far up to paint (I'll prob use the scum line to judge). I've had wellcraft nova's before (23') and loved the boat. This is a different style all together though. I am going on a sea trial on Saturday and will purchase it if all goes well. The pass through is neat, but you give up one seat (passenger) so that is the only drawback I can think of. Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
mine is only 21ft and it lives on the water, I located a used
3500lb hydrohoist for $1000 and though it can barely lift it
I have been using it now over a year with no problems.
Once its all the way up I use safety chains as a backup in case
the lift fails the boat stays above the water. Otherwise youll
end up ruining a nice boat because not even bottom paint will
counteract everything and your drive and tabs will still get
messed up as well.

·
Registered
359 Posts
how much $ to paint? how much over the years will the paint up keep be? how much for a hoist (new or used)? i would think getting the hoist would be a better choice, people don't like the bottom paint and i'm sure will hurt resale but a hoist can be resold to get some of your money back.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
A lift for a 4,000 pound boat will be at least 10K. They have to drive piling's too so it becomes a major project. Painting the bottom is pretty typical, a gallon of paint is under 100 dollars (more like 50). It would probably take a gallon for a boat that size and would have to be done every year.

Lift would be something like this...

90% of people in my area paint the bottom of their boat and keep it in all season in a slip at a marina. The paint keeps the drive, tabs, and bottom from getting fouled, I never had a problem before. The only drawback with a boat like this is that it will take ~5 mph off the top end because the paint roughens up the surface and creates more drag vs an unfinished bottom.

·
Registered
806 Posts
scarab excell

blkkat said:
I'm not liking the exhaust deal, I would think that would make a mess on the platform not to mention the slip & trip hazard. Formula used to have that exhaust setup as well prior to the silent thunder. as far as the pass through, that's like 15 years ahead of its time! just about every new runabout I see has the walkthrough now.
the boat looks very similiar to the 21 excell which came I think the next year, I wonder how much in common it has with that one
The 1989 boat look close on the outside but they did away with the walk thru. Here is my 89 scarab excell 21 which was only made 1 year.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Nice looking boat! How much do you think the 23' concept is worth?

Exterior is in very good condition, no fading.

Interior is in good condition with some rips and fading.

Engine is original but it was always run in Fresh water.

Only expenses I will have in the near future are the following:

Swap the aluminum intake manifold that is on there now with a cast iron one since I will be running in salt water ~$250

Get a cockpit cover made (existing one is trash) ~300

Paint the bottom ~200 including prep

...and of course since the season is over in NJ I will basically winterize it in a few weeks and get it shrink wrapped.

Trailer is also included.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I have seen tons of used hydrohoists under $2k for smaller boats, Hydrohoists dont need pilings you can bolt them to the dock or just leave floating since they are basically pontoon boats themselved.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
go to craigshelper.com (tool that lets yous earch multpiple cities on craigslist) and add states / NJ and NY then use "boat lift" as keywords.. You find more than a few in your area.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts