Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this 27 sport last fall. Needs work but am slowly putting some money into it. Would like to find more Magnum owners....

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Congratulations on your good taste.
There's nothing like a Magnum.
I have a 1972 Magnum Sedan that I bought 10 years ago. It has the same hull as yours, but a bigger cockpit, sit up cabin and walk around decks. I repowered with twin 350mag/bravos. The boat has a great ride and goes 65 on radar. There's a picture of mine buried in the reader's rides section. If you want to see more pictures of other 27's, go to thunderboat alley.com.
Enjoy

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Took the boat out this past weekend for it's first extended outing since I bought it. All I can say is WOW!!! (got that from a lot of other folks too). Without question the finest riding boat I have ever driven. slices through chop like a hot knife through butter. Mine has a single 454 BBC and I noticed a bit of torque when accelerating. Not sure if this is from the motor or the turn of the prop. Don't have tabs but I'm thinking with this hull they would make a big difference. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
43 Posts
A lot of people forget that the Magnums were legendary for their ride and performance. They just see a beautiful old boat. A guy in my boat club is restoring a 27 Magnum. I took him for a ride in mine last summer, and he couldn't believe the difference in ride between my boat and his 27 Baja. He was impressed. I have 280S k-planes on mine and they really help. They will help keep it level when it's windy, and a touch of tab helps it fly flatter when it's rough. What kind of drive do you have? I'd love to see more pictures.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's got a Stern Power model 107 drive. I haven't found anyone who knows anything about Stern Power. I managed to track down the manufacturer and get some tech info for my mechanic to service the drive. I'll probably replace the drive over the winter but for now it's working. I'll post some more pics soon.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm here and I've been restoring and upgrading my '72 27 Sport on and off for some time now. SternPowr drives are very tough and they are in business and parts are available. I'm in ther process of replacing the twin Volvo 280T drives with a pair of DPX drives. Let us Magnum fanatics know if we can be of any help.

You are going to love your Magnum 27!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Allright! Here in Dallas it's approaching 90 degrees today. I've declared this afternoon a holiday. Time to hit the water! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts