Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Platinum Member
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my story... I'd like to hear from some people with larger twin engine boats on how they load on the trailer.

Yesterday afternoon I was near a boat launch and watched a group of four 32-35 foot boats retrieve their boats from the water. each handled the job in basically the same manner.

1. back the bunk trailer down until the front edge of the trailer fenders were at least 4-6" underwater.

2. Idle up to the trailer, stopping about 6-8 feet short of the bow eye due to the hull making contact with the bunks.

3. powerload the boat until it got all the way to the bowstop and hold the throttle on while their partner from the truck cliped the bow eye and tightened the strap. It seemed some of these guys were in the 3K RPM range if not higher. Two of them were very agressive (likely not on purpose) and hit the bowstop pretty hard, jostling the towrig to the point I felt sorry for the transmission.

My boat is 24 feet and weighs about 5K and is a real pain to winch up on the trailer, I can't imaging trying a manual winch with a boat like these weighing 10K, but I kept saying to myself there's got to be a better/safer way to do this...

I know each ramp has its limitations, and for those who might know it - this ramp is in Brockville, Ontario right at the entrance to the marina.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I back my trailer into the water so that the boat floats all way to the front of the trailer and I clip the strap and winch it up about 5 inches. I dont like to slide the boat on the bunks any more than I have to. Same way launching it unhook it and it floats off by hand.

If the waters blown out I have seen people drive the boat up to the trailer, but only because the dock was too short they werent powering the boat onto the trailer.

The only people I see doing that seems to be bass boats. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
I do the same and usually float my boat on the trailer. If the water is too shallow I will IDLE my boat up while someone backs my trailer in.

I see know reason to rev a boat up to 3k to load it. If it is a dirt launch you are washing away the bottom and making holes.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
38 Formula...I powerload. Like you saw them do but try to keep it under 2,000 rpm's. ALWAYS set the parking brake hard to try and save the transmission. Usually get within a foot powerloading and hand crank it while throttling just like saw....If you need more than 2,000 rpm's it;s easier to just back the trailer in a little further.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I have a single 32 and i only hand load, Alot less hassle plus the 2 or 3 boats that are behind me are glad that i don't. I back the truck in till the centering bunks about 2 inches out of the water and just walk the boat up and wench the last 3 feet or so.

·
Registered
488 Posts
SINGLE SCREW 32 said:
I have a single 32 and i only hand load, Alot less hassle plus the 2 or 3 boats that are behind me are glad that i don't. I back the truck in till the centering bunks about 2 inches out of the water and just walk the boat up and wench the last 3 feet or so.
That's exactly what I do.....and as I SLOWLY pull the boat out of the water the hull automatically makes little adjustments as to how it sits on the trailer bunks as I pull it out of the water. It works very nicely for me.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I winch the last 6-8 feet. With power loading there are just to many possible problems. I have a twin engine 31' Excalibur. It weights about 9000 lbs. Bunk trailer. I also just back the trailer under the boat the float it up then winch the last 6-8 feet.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Doesn't MI law prohibit powerloading?

Here in FL we've got low tides, currents, and short ramps. Throw 30'+ boats weighing 9000lbs or more in the mix and powerloading is the only way you're getting out of the water.

There's no winching that heavy of a load. If you can winch it, you probably could've driven the boat on just being in gear at little more than idle.

If you don't want to winch, and don't want to powerload, you could always do as these guys did. I lost count how many times they had to back up and reposition the boat because it wouldn't stay centered on the trailer.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
It was probably Go Fast Daddy, lol

See that truck in the last post, I filled my differential doing that exact thing on that exact truck. The breather hose is lower than expected and it will suck water...

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Duke69 said:

See that truck in the last post, I filled my differential doing that exact thing on that exact truck. The breather hose is lower than expected and it will suck water...
I can vouch for that, happened to me too. :angry1:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Duke69 said:
Ya probably was. :laugher:

The 38 Special is a big boat and I have to powerload. If we drop the trailer in further the rear of the trailer drops too deep the rear of the hull won't touch the bunks and the boat will float around sideways. So I have to powerload it but never more than 6 inces and never more than 2k rpm. If I have to we back it in a little farther.

I'd prefer not to powerload but can't get around it. However I drive the boat on and my wife does all the work. She holds her hands above the bow indicating how close I am to the chock as I drive forward. Then she clips it and hauls me out. I never run it in hard up to the chock.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
kjo43 said:
this ramp is in Brockville, Ontario right at the entrance to the marina.
I know the ramp you're referring to and I can't even load my boat there. That ramp is too agressively steep and there's no way the rear of my boat will even come close to the rear bunks on the trailer.

I use the other one around the other side of the park and it's much less angled.

And yes it was Quebec construction week and there were lots of "D" boats there like Duke's :laugh:

·
Registered
291 Posts
KAAMA said:
That's exactly what I do.....and as I SLOWLY pull the boat out of the water the hull automatically makes little adjustments as to how it sits on the trailer bunks as I pull it out of the water. It works very nicely for me.
Ditto.....plus our michigan roads do a nice job of centering the boat on the bunks.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Playn said:
Ditto.....plus our michigan roads do a nice job of centering the boat on the bunks.. :rolleyes:
LMAO!!! I don't know how many times I have looked at my boat after pulling out and saying. "Close enough, a couple bumps and she'll be perfect!"

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
3wood said:
The only people I see doing that seems to be bass boats. :rolleyes:
I don't think i have ever seen a bass boat NOT powerload. And WAY past 2k rpms. :rolleyes:

Usually it's a bunch of fat azzes wearing jeans, flannels and work boots so they probably don't want to risk getting wet. They don't pull the trailer in even close to far enough and after 20 seconds of 5k rpm they have their buddy back it in a little further. Then after another 10 second 5k rpm burst they finally hit the bow stop. :shocked:

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I grew up on bassboats and they do powerload......smaller boats, it works. You should see a ramp at 5:30AM when 225 boats get in the water on 2 ramps in less than an hour...they load them and are gone in about an hour too!

I've powerloaded since I was a kid but with bigger boats I do let them settle into place very slowly then ease into the throttle to push the boat up some (anything over 2K means the trailer needs to come back further)

1 - 20 of 101 Posts