Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at some 32 Sunsations on boat trader, and I saw that some were single engine 500's. What kind of speed will they run with the single? I hear 70 bandied about, but that sounds a bit high for a singe in a 32 footer.

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Unless the engine is an HP 500 EFI you won't get 70 on the 32. My 288 ......just gets close with a 496/HO and it's 2,000 lbs less than the 32.

The 32 with a single engine is a great boat that will save you money on Insurance and fuel, but you'll lose about 10-15 mph to a twin engined 32.

I guess it's all about a few things;
1) How much do you want to spend
2) How much do you have to spend on fuel and insurance
3) Do you think it's a good investment
4) will you be satisfied with a single engined 32 foot boat

because YOU WILL repeatedly be asked "why didn't you get twins"? I get asked that with my 28, but I know how much money I'm saving and I only have one engine to winterize, maintain and FEED!

those are questions only you can answer because they're all personal questions that vary from buyer to buyer...

- jeff

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Besides,,,, I think a 28 footer is to short for any twins except maybe small blocks,, a friend of ours had an older Formula with twins and it was so tail heavy he did not enjoy the boat.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Jeff, 2000 lbs.? Doesn't that assume 2 engines and drives (and rigging)? I have got to assume that the 32 does not weigh a ton more than your hull without engines and drives. If it won't run 70 how do (did) they campaign a F1 Boat? Granted, it had no cabin and was probably lighter than a standard boat but still . . . It seems to me that a single 500 HP in a 32 should be very similar in performance to your 288. so it's less expensive, weighs less (a factor when trailering too), has more space for stuff, is easier (and cheaper) to service. And, it's slower, maybe, if you didn't compare it to the twin small blocks. It all depends on the individual buyer's requirements. Twin big blocks would be my preference in this boat. Budgetary considerations might make the single big block a viable alternative however.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Sorry Jeff, I mis-read your post. I thought you had said that it WOULD NOT hit 70 with an HP 500 EFI.

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
I had a Wellcraft Nova III for a year that had twins 350's. That Boat was only 26 foot but it rode like a pig - I loved it anyway.

I just visited Sunsations website and here are the listed weights:

288: 4,500
32: 6,500

I assume that's with an engine.

Assuming an engine and outdrive weighs 700 lbs, the single engine 32 would weigh about 5,800 lbs.

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think they are beautiful boats, and I like single engine because I don't want double trouble. If it will run mid 60's it would be good enough. Of course, until business picks up, it has to stay on hold.

Jeff, how do you feel about the construction and general fit and finish of the Sun? How is the factory support?

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
I think single engined 32's are great deal.
Factory support is beyond belief great.
Construction and Fit and finish are what I believe to be the best in the industry.....and just ask Karen how anal I am about quality?

she'll tell you that I am BRUTAL.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Nothing wrong with that !!! Keeps you form being dumped on in life,,,, It's mine,, I paid for it and this is what I expect for my money !!!!

·
Registered
753 Posts
It depends on the layup of the boat.

Lee Raleigh's F1 ,32 Sunsation runs 79 and some change in freshwater on GPS
I think low 70's is not out of the question with a singe HP500 in pleasure trim.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Sunsation makes a hell of a boat! They are on the top of my short list of next boats. I would love to have a single 500 in a 32! Actually I would perfer to have the single as well. But thats just personal preferance...

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
I do miss twin engines on windy days at docks in front of crowded restaurants when everyone on the deck is watching and your struggling with a single engine...

twins make is Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo easy to spin the boat around....

:)

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
yea....but that's the ONLY time I miss twin engines....

however having only one engine certainly adds to the allure of hopping it up, since you only have to buy goodies for one....

:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts