Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping someone can help me out - I have a 1995 7.4L 454 carbed engine w an open cooling system - Went to change my thermostat and when I lifted the housing up everything fell out (thermostat, O-gasket and a plastic like ported sleeve) - Figured I knew how it was set up but now I have no temp reading at the gauge - Looked at the mercruiser installation manual and if the diagram is correct, it looks like the themostat sits on top of the ported sleeve and inserts up into the housing - I had the thermo sitting on the block and the ported sleeve on top of it going up into the housing - Can anyone verify one way or the other?

·
Registered
878 Posts
parentsgonewild said:
I am ... - Figured I knew how it was set up but now I have no temp reading at the gauge -...?
2xfyi...also, double check on the contacts located on the gasket to make sure your grounding the housing for the sender

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - I have all the correct merc parts, including the gasket w/rivets - Tonight I will install it as illustrated, put her on muffs and hope the problem is solved.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Bet I've had mine apart a million times. Well, maybe not quite that many. Anyways, I still gotta look up the right way to put it back together :eek:

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
parentsgonewild said:
Tonight I will install it as illustrated, put her on muffs and hope the problem is solved.

I have a very hard time getting my engine up to normal operating temp when running on muffs.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
If it's set up like the drawing, and if you turn the housing upside down, order goes, O-ring, T-Stat, Ported Sleeve, Gasket, Turn over , and hold sleeve in place if it won't stay in, then install on intake..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks gentleman - I put it together as suggested/illustrated and all is well - Got a temp reading on the muffs and took her out - Had good readings all weekend. :D :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts