Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody take their boats up the river to watch the fireworks on the 4th of July?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yes everyone is out. Usually 2 to 3 boat crashes every year either leave early or stay late. We get alot of business the 4th weekend they run aground all over the place. Be careful the fireworks are unreal that close.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you go, plan on staying anchored untill the majority leave. Alot of big 45 ft. plus cruisers. When the fireworks are over, they all start leaving. Very rough, the river is pretty narrow up their also. Did I mention it will be dark, and some have been drinking all day, came early to get a good spot to view. This year may be different, with the price of fuel. Its really very nice to watch, the aftermath makes it too much trouble for me.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Anchor north of the No Wake Zone at the Memorial Bridge, on one side of the river or the other, and stay there until morning.

Another nice place to anchor is inside the basin (under the old stone bridge) in front of the Pentagon, BUT be careful as it has some REALLY shallow spots. Scope your spot before dark and GPS the spot you want to anchor in.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Ah, well stay away from Gravelly Point Park (North of the Airport) as well. That place is a madhouse.

The best way to see the National Fireworks is drive in right before they start, and get on the SB lanes of I-395 near Pentagon City, and hang out on the shoulder. As soon as the last one pops, get the hell out of dodge.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Beak Boater said:
If you go, plan on staying anchored untill the majority leave. Alot of big 45 ft. plus cruisers. When the fireworks are over, they all start leaving. Very rough, the river is pretty narrow up their also. Did I mention it will be dark, and some have been drinking all day, came early to get a good spot to view. This year may be different, with the price of fuel. Its really very nice to watch, the aftermath makes it too much trouble for me.
What he said !!!

OR just stay until the next day and play it safe.

As far as land watching it's been years ago we did that. Took Metro down to the Mall stayed the day for concerts and what not. Fun but very crowded. Traffic around there especially because it's on a weekend will be horrendous. If we were going by boat you'd be more than welcome but we are staying south. Best of luck watching you will NOT be sorry.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Working on adjusting your shift cables. :laugher: :laugher: :yak: Their are a group of boats rafting in front of Gilligans to watch the fireworks on Fri. They dont want to run to Colonial Beach in the dark.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Beak Boater said:
Working on adjusting your shift cables. :laugher: :laugher: :yak: Their are a group of boats rafting in front of Gilligans to watch the fireworks on Fri. They dont want to run to Colonial Beach in the dark.
Careful, last yr. they had a BUI checkpoint right at the bridge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts