Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5.7 Merc that is having a inconsistent engine miss..... It seems to be worse at mid to upper RPM's and I notice that my voltage is lower at mid to upper RPM's and it seems the two may be related?

My voltage is running 12 at best at wake speed, but if I run it up to 2000 RPM's it drops to about 11 and if I run up to 4000 RPM's the voltage is 10 to 10.5 at best.

And of course the engine really starts to miss badly the higher I run the RPM's.

Thanks for any ideas and help you guys can provide!

EZ

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm drawing a blank on anything realy specific right now (tired), but you might try cleaning and checking all of the electrical connections and especially grounds on the engine, make sure your plug wires are well separated, check battery cable connections, etc... all that stuff can cause minor losses in performance and sometimes missing, etc... that could be something like you're having... check the plugs to be sure they all look the same and aren't too rich or lean as well... never hurts to be sure... and doesn't take long...

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Check All of your main battery terminals Neg. & Pos. ..at the Bat. & Alt. and if all those looks good, then get your alternator checked out...

·
Registered
594 Posts
check the main engine wiring plug for being all the way plugged in, loosen the plug clamp and push hard to make sure it is all the way down to the mounting plate. a loose cannon plug will cause all sorts of problems. just a thought.
Joe

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Check your alternator. I had this problem last year and it was my alternator. Motor runs off the battery until the voltage gets too low then it misses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts