Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys its been a sucky weekend so far, yesterday my fuel pump went, no biggy, local marina had one had it back on in no time running fine, this morning I went to do my pretrip for the day and noticed a streak of blackick stuff all over the bilge, it appeared to be rubber from the water pump belt so I went in there to tighten it up, it was a little loose not terrible, well after further reveiw its was a oily substance, then a occasional water drip from the water pump/impeller did i do something wrong? or is this a coincidence??????? any ideas could it be pre epackage oil from the fuel pump, no overheating what so ever

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Check the gasket between the pump and impeller housing?

Change the gear oil in it while you are there if it smells gassy.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
89donzi said:
gear oil????????????
Yes, there is a reservoir that lubes the fuel pump. Over time, the diaphram in the fuel pump starts to leak fuel down into this reservoir. Then it fills up and drips out of a little weep hole. It will be a thick black liquid that smells like gas.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Super24 said:
Yes, there is a reservoir that lubes the fuel pump. Over time, the diaphram in the fuel pump starts to leak fuel down into this reservoir. Then it fills up and drips out of a little weep hole. It will be a thick black liquid that smells like gas.
thats the problem had to order a new assembly 2 days I'm broke, also wrecked the new fuel pump in 25 minutes of driving :unhappy1:

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Super24 said:
And when that happens, get a new fuel pump asap. When the diaphram starts to go/leak, you loose fuel pressure. Loose fuel pressure and .............. :dead:

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok now I understand after talking with a tch in person thanks guys, I need a new housing and fuel pump and hope we didnt hurt the motor

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
My fuel pump went on mine as well... stupid design I think??? Mine would only cut out/loose fuel pressure at idle though. Sorry about your mishap!!

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ya it does seem stupid why not just keep the fuel pump on the side of the block where it belongs, did your pump go or the whole housing with the shaft thru it???

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Because all late model big blocks were EFI , thus no need for fuel pumps at GM and they make the standard engines for Mercury.. Best bet is to go to an old style water pump and an electric fuel pump

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
89donzi said:
ya it does seem stupid why not just keep the fuel pump on the side of the block where it belongs, did your pump go or the whole housing with the shaft thru it???
Don't know if you asking me this question or not? But in my case the push rod wore out the trigger and it wasnt' pushing the diapram far enough until it got going at a higher RPM or perhaps more suction?? But I just replaced the whole thing, it was also leaking the gear oil out and it smelled like fuel where it shouldn't... Many people for get to maintain these, and top off the gear oil, and thats a big mistake. :beard:

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rock Steady said:
Don't know if you asking me this question or not? But in my case the push rod wore out the trigger and it wasnt' pushing the diapram far enough until it got going at a higher RPM or perhaps more suction?? But I just replaced the whole thing, it was also leaking the gear oil out and it smelled like fuel where it shouldn't... Many people for get to maintain these, and top off the gear oil, and thats a big mistake. :beard:
many people don't know to top off gear oil here like
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~me :confused1 now I know :winker:

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
When I pulled that exact same plug, nothing but staright gas came out. I assume the Fuel pump is starting to wear out. While I have the belt off, now would be the time to change it.

I am confusing the hell outta myself trying to find the right pump. None of the ones I have found look like mine. Mine looks just like the one pictured above.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll snap a pic of mine later, the pic is also on bam online, they are priced all over the place I was able to get a discount cheapest i found was ebay for 459 I believe, I am assuming you are gonna have to replace the housing
the fuel pump was $171

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
plus is in the housing, spin that pulley make sure that it feels good and not like a bearing is out of it, no fluid is coming out of the pump is it? there is a vent hole behind the pulley but trust me you would know if fluid was coming out

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
no fluid is coming from the pump. I'm gonna pull the whole thing off, and check it out.

Since the fluid is draining from the housing, is it safe to assume the diaphram in the pump is failing, and allowing fuel down into the housing, and washing the gear oil out? I can not find any leaks at all, I keep the bilge pretty clean, and there is no evidence of any leaks. I hate to be replacing parts that are still good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.