Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,,, little help please,,, the 502 I bought was from a twin setup and was not the power steering motor,,,, I need to adapt my stuff onto the 502,,, my 454 has an oil cooler in front and the PS cooler in the back,,,,, the 502 has a larger oil cooler in the back where my ps cooler is on the 454 !!! Where does Merc put the PS cooler on a 502 MPI?

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
Dennis,is there a difference between MPI and carbed? If not I can look at mine or Skip,s. Because my oil cooler is on the rear also,and if I remember so is the steering cooler.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dunno !!!! I remember your ps cooler was no the back cuz thats where the leak was I fixed,,, embarassingly enough I didnt even know my original oil cooler was on the front of the motor till it was out !!!! That seems like the only issue though is how to mount it, and then plumbing the lines,,,mounting the ps cooler anywhere bit the back of the motor will make them to short,,, I may run by Grand Sport tomorrow and look to see if they have anything with a single 502.......... now do you want the bad news?

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a compression test,,,, 120-160 psi !!!

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just talked to Dales dad,,, he said not to worry because the motor sat so long it will PROBABLY seal better after a warm up,,, (i did the test on the engine stand),,, the motor has not run in a year,,, but he did say to plan on pulling it at the end of the season for a rebuild just for sefety sake,,,,,,, which was already in the agenda ( along with a little massaging !!!!!! )

·
Registered
250 Posts
I would put a little Marvel mystery oil or top engine cleaner in the cylinders now, see if that doesn't free up the rings and bring the comp up.

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
I agree with inspetch-was it equal on all cylinders????
I would run it on the engine stand and re-check compression after. It seems like alot of work to go thru to find out Dale's dad is wrong. Call me later,sorry I could not come over (even though you didn't tell me you were doing it yesterday0but I screwed up something in my backand can hardly walk. Got med's last night,but I might just be seeing the doc. Call me

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Marvel Mystery Oil...

I still remember when Karen and I first met and I took her down to my garage to show her my toys and she saw Marvel Mystery Oil sitting on a shelf - she was really blown away that a product could be called that, so later on I oiled her up and showed her how well the stuff really works!

:)

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I told you to be careful with that kinky monkey sex !!!!

I was thinking of squirting some trans fluid in there,,, I know that breaks up carbon to as well.

And yes and no to alot of work,,,, damn thing was out in 3 hours !!!!!

Actually, it was a blessing I pulled the motor, my riser AND exhaust header gaskets were leaking on the right side,,, I would have ended up burning the header up if I ran it all year. ( I am guessing that was my tick ) Plus I found alot of loose stuff while pulling the interior apart,,,, so all in all it's a good thing.

now lets all just pray the damn thing runs and it will be a better thing !!! (if not the whimpy little 454 can be back in, in about 8 hours.)

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
Trans fluid usually works only when it is running.I would do like inspect tech said,pull the plugs,put in marvel oil,and take a breaker bar to the crank and keep turning the engine over. Then re-check compression. Or start it on the stand

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
I agree with the Marvel Mystery Oil, I would also pull the dist and use a drill and bring up the oil pressure to lubricate all of the internals before you start spining it over.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Back to the original question............My 2000 Merc 502 MPI MAG Single has the power steering cooler in the back, and the oil cooler in the front just below and to the center from the remote oil filter. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys,,,, upon further inspection, I found that the rear cooler is 2 fold, it is an oil and ps cooler in one!!!

Splasher: is that the Y shaped one? Thats what I had on my old cool fuel 454 and I was told it was not big enough for the 502 !!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Looks like a straight through cooler, no Y. water in the bottom from the fuel cooler and out the top to the thermo housing. oil line in the top from the remote filter and out the bottom to the engine. Hope this helps. sorry for the delay in the answer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts