Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the going rate for a new 525 efi motor and will it bolt on a 96 b
ravo leg or should that be changed out as well. Boat now has 454mag efi 385 hp with 200hrs.

·
BANNED
13,676 Posts
For the price of a new 525 EFI from Mercury, you could take your 454 and have it built to more than 525 HP for a 1/3 of the cost.

IMHO

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Rattlesnake Jake said:
For the price of a new 525 EFI from Mercury, you could take your 454 and have it built to more than 525 HP for a 1/3 of the cost.

IMHO
Ya, and it will have 1/3 the reliability! :)

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
BIG MACZ said:
Who does your engine builds, I have much more confidence in my engine guy.
It's just been my observation over the years that people with stock merc power do a lot more boating and a lot less wrenching. I don't hear of many "custom" engines going 500+ hours.

·
BANNED
13,676 Posts
Super24 said:
Ya, and it will have 1/3 the reliability! :)
Depends on the engine builder.
I've watched some of the horror stories on the different forums. Most of the time the problem comes from cutting corners, to save a few hundred $$, and buying inferior parts. My 2¢

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Rattlesnake Jake said:
Depends on the engine builder.
I've watched some of the horror stories on the different forums. Most of the time the problem comes from cutting corners, to save a few hundred $$, and buying inferior parts. My 2¢
I agree. A good builder using quality parts should be just as good as any merc engine. Heck maybe better depending on several different factors

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
525efi's are not all the same hp. They range from 525 t0 540 hp.

When fountain puts them in a race boat they dyno all engines & use the ones with the most hp.

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
lucky strike said:
525efi's are not all the same hp. They range from 525 t0 540 hp.

When fountain puts them in a race boat they dyno all engines & use the ones with the most hp.
Isn't that interesting... makes you say hmmm... :laugh:

·
Registered
86 Posts
u guys go on and on and dont answer the gentlemans question. I dont know the answer but i'm curious too.

.... Q How much ia a one karat diamond?

A rubies are cheaper.
A youd be better off with emeralds.
A Sapphires have more color.

lol. Poor man asked a simple question

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
I have no idea about a new one but a take-out can be bought for about $16-$20k depending on hours.

As far as hp they dyno in the 540-550hp range.

And I have to agree with Super on this one. Sure there are some good engine builders out there but I have read WAY too many horror stories. Plus, putting a blue motor in your boat will increase the value.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts