Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was testing my boat for top speed this weekend.

Its an old arriva 2450 that currently has ;

Carbed Gm Performance 425hp roller 7.4
Mirage (not the plus) 23P 3 blade on it.
Weight approx-3800 lbs

Was windy as hell, moderate chop and only hit 59.5 on GPS with tach reading of 5000rpm. I thought it would be alot higher than that (65?)

Any opinions on that speed? Does that sound about right?

Any Tips on pulling a few extra MPH out of it?
(other than an 800hp blown 572)

This is the boat.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q_0it5L40Ss

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
your running at18% slip right now,,, try a few different props and see if you can get that down a bit.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had about 16% slip on my boat with a 25P Mirage (not plus) I got the slip down to around 10% when I installed a brand new solid hub Mirage Plus.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Philcat said:
I had about 16% slip on my boat with a 25P Mirage (not plus) I got the slip down to around 10% when I installed a brand new solid hub Mirage Plus.
REally... What combo were you running as far as

engine,
weight
top speed?

Did you gain any mph after reducing the slip?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Arriva 2450

I have a 1990 Arriva 2450 with a 502 CI making 510HP & 570lbs torque. I run a Bravo 1X 1.5 Ratio & a Quiksilver 23P 3 blade not labbed. At 5000RPM i am (GPS) running about 63MPH. If i turn it to 5500RPM it will run 70 easily with half a tank of gas & 4 people. I have a 5800RPM MSD chip and it will hit that easily if pushed, think i need to go up a prop size.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Philcat, what does your brochure say the Villian III weighs? I have heard 3600 but boy it feels alot more than that to me, exp towing it. Just got done installing my 540 in it and man I'm having some carb issues. Put a 1050 QFT in and this thing is so rich it looks like I'm running a diesel engine with all the transom soot. What carb you running on yours? CFM?

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Philcat, what does your brochure say the Villian III weighs? I have heard 3600 but boy it feels alot more than that to me, exp towing it. Just got done installing my 540 in it and man I'm having some carb issues. Put a 1050 QFT in and this thing is so rich it looks like I'm running a diesel engine with all the transom soot. What carb you running on yours? CFM?
A 1050 is probably 2-3 sizes too big if you are not spinning the engine to about 6000 RPM.
What is the max RPM attainable with what prop?

There are several members with 540's and we all have come off the 1050 due to it being too big for the RPM's we are turning.
Did you have the engine dyno ran to see where the peak HP/RPM was?

Is this a 540 Ford or GM based motor?

·
Registered
247 Posts
My old boat was a 22ft stingray with a 400 hp 7.4 and she would run 63 at 5100 with the 23 pitch 3 blade.Almost same set up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts