Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 70 hp johnson early 80's pre vro 3 cyl. the engine ran great 2 times out this year. Today I went down to the dock,started the boat to warm it up and left it running as I went into the house to grab something. when I came out it had stalled and would not restart (fouled out) replaced the plugs got it started, but now it will not go over half throttle. Just bogs down and dies after half, but will restart ok. The boat was not run in several years before this week. It has a on board fuel tank (plastic) that had some fuel in it but smelled ok.I did change the fuel/water filter and added some fresh fuel. Seems like posibly the fuel is bad or the fuel has too much oil mixed like it settled to the bottom of the tank and picked it up now? seems to smoke at times and other times is ok? Tried pumping the ball but didn't change. Idles ok, and ran great the day before. Any one ran into this with a old 3 cyl? compression is aprox 135 on all cylinders. Any help would be great

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I'm thinking... We had a problem about 14 years back like this with a 1982 Evinude 70HP. It had to do with the fuel pump or something like that on the side of the motor. My dads going though all his receipts for the 17ft Rinker it was bolted too. I hope he finds it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Someone said that to me today ( fuel pump) the only thing that made me think it wasn't that is that, is that the engine didn't pickup while squeezing the primer bulb. I also tryed hitting the choke and that didn't help either? mine is also around 82' vintage. I may just hang a new fuel pump on it, I'm shure it's due for one any way. If that dosen't help I'll tear the carbs down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts