Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys and Gals,

Saw a nice Donzi 280 ZXO-this is a Bow Rider with a Mid-Cabin, (porta Pottie and sink)-but same hull as the ZX-this one has the twin Scorpion power.

Also, a 271 Fromula Fastech, with 500. this is the regular cabin version. With my crew-I favor the mid-cabin-as the bow eaisly handles two people.

Anyone have experience or friends with experience on either of the two boats??

Any comments appreciated.

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
I think anyone would be hard-pressed to say anything bad about either boat. I like both. The forumla (at least in my opinion) seem to have lots of room and lots of creature comforts. Formula seems to keep a keen eye on overnighting needs when designing their poerformance boats...as opposed to someone like Cigarette who makes a nice looking but too-small-for-use cabin.

The Donzi's are certainly very well built and well engineered boats. My only recent overservation on the Donzi's has been high list-prices. For instance Karen and I saw a 33ZR(?) at the New York Boat show this winter discounted to $323,000 (it had 525SC's) - that's A LOT of money for a 33 boat.

I have noticed that their resale values seem to be in-line with most other manufacturers.

I've been looking at A LOT of boats lately and Karen and I were even out on a Sonic 358 yesterday and if you wanna get A LOT of boat for your money with lots of cabin and cockpit space - take a serious look at Baja's.

- jeff

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
Donzi and Formula both make fine boats. I think the Formula has an edge in quality, but the Donzi is right there. I also think the Donzis are priced a bit high, may just be the list prices. I can tell you for a fact that Formula makes a great quality boat. I am in the process of restoring a 1981 Formula, and the screws, nut and bolts still look like new after 21 years. The wood used on the side panels is not rotted. Just bought my second Formula. Was looking hard at a Donzi too, but found a great deal on a used Formula.
As far as the ZXO, I've never been a fan of open bow boats. If you've ever stuck the bow in a wave, you'll understand why. Now the 28 ZX with twin Scorps would be the cats ass!

·
chief bottle washer
1,561 Posts
I'm also interested in a 27 Formula w/a Macerator w/Y-Valve Discharge & pump out bathroom for the wife. The Suggested retail price of $100,315 doesn't sit well with me for a 27. Does anyone else make a boat that size w/a pump out? The 26 Cobalt needs an update so we are looking at other brands. The Donzi doesn't seem to have much room in the cuddy for a guy that is 6'3" and Baja just offers a contained unit.

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
We checked out a 26 Donzi ZX, and it is quite short on headroom. I am only 5'9", and I had to slide down to sit in the seats of the cabin, bu then again, I don't plan on spending much time in the cabin, unless I'm horizontal!:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts