Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I replaced my alternator today with a Mallory 9-19101. I put the boat on the hose and fired it up. Checked the volt meter and and the alternator wasn't charging. I shut the engine down to check it. I put my hand on it and was pretty warm. THe alternator came with the wires for the sensor and exciter in place so it was just a matter matching them to the wiring harness and connect. The orange wire was no problem either. I connected the ground wire to a terminal marked "E". From my British car days E stood for earth which was the ground. The 2 other terminals were capped. I checked my wiring and the the reset button and did not find anything. I emailed Mallory today, but I thought i would take a shot here too. HELP!

·
Registered
58 Posts
How are you checking the alternator, are you using the gauge on the dash? That could be your problem, try reading from the battery with a multi-meter, real quick-unhook the positive side of the battery and see if the motor dies, if it does there is something wrong with your alt/wiring, if it doesn't your alt is working fine because it is running the boat on it's own power, not battery-boat gauges are often problematic, especially if the boat has some age like mine..........paul

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Got an email from Mallory and the way I had the alternator wired was correct. I performed some tests listed in my Clymer's manual and apparently the voltage regulator is bad. I have contacted the company I bought it from to see if I can get a replacement.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I emailed I Boats Saturday and got one back from them today saying to call customer service. I called and explained what had happened and they are sending me a new alternator. The whole transaction took about 10 minutes. Thanks I Boats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.