Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
My anchor line is like maybe 25ft for local boating,,,,muskamoot bay is 3 feet deep.....

I always carry about 1.5-2 times the depth of the water at the minimum of wear I am going.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
It completely depends on the waters you boat in. The Delaware River has a 6 foot tide and I need a lot of rode to set my anchor there. In the Chesapeake, the tide is only 2 feet and you can almost set your anchor with hardly any extra rode at all. The standard is to use a 7:1 ratio. 7 feet of rode for every foot of water, but that is overkill in almost any situation.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
was out on a boat this weekend at Eggmont Key :D
and this "dufus" only had a bow line ... no stern line... he attempted numerous time to drop the anchor ... but he kept riding round and around... wasting time ... wasting gas. All he had to do was drop anchor out far enough from the other boats... or tie up to someone else...

started off entertaining; became annoying after a while.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
tampaboatersgirl said:
was out on a boat this weekend at Eggmont Key :D
and this "dufus" only had a bow line ... no stern line... he attempted numerous time to drop the anchor ... but he kept riding round and around... wasting time ... wasting gas. All he had to do was drop anchor out far enough from the other boats... or tie up to someone else...

started off entertaining; became annoying after a while.
Chit, if that were me I would have beached it. :blush: :winker:

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hot'n'Bothered said:
It completely depends on the waters you boat in. The Delaware River has a 6 foot tide and I need a lot of rode to set my anchor there. In the Chesapeake, the tide is only 2 feet and you can almost set your anchor with hardly any extra rode at all. The standard is to use a 7:1 ratio. 7 feet of rode for every foot of water, but that is overkill in almost any situation.
GREAT TO KNOW THANKS

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
3 or 4 to one is usually goo dunless your overnighting or leaving theboat unattended. For deep water, like I anchor in often (100' deep or more) you need at least half the length of your boat in chain. I would suggest a minimum of 6' for your application.
An inexpensive Danforth knockoff is hard to beat. Anchors are supposed to be heavy.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
I carry a Danforth type anchor w/100' of rope and 8' of chain. Also, a smalller danforth without chain. Depending on the situation I use 1 or both. The Chesapeake area is mostly sand or mud, danforths work well.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I carry two 80' lenghts of rope and two anchors. I also have 6' of chain for the Fluke anchor and zero chain for the Box anchor. Can't forget the sand spike for the beach.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
One large danforth (aluminum) with 8 ft chain and 150 ft rope.....a second smaller anchor with 50 ft on it but have another 150 ft of rope stashed out of the way. Also use a "sand spike" with 35 ft for the rear when anchored in front of the beach.

Plus I carry (6) 25 ft and (2) 35 ft dock lines too.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
t500hps said:
One large danforth (aluminum) with 8 ft chain and 150 ft rope.....a second smaller anchor with 50 ft on it but have another 150 ft of rope stashed out of the way. Also use a "sand spike" with 35 ft for the rear when anchored in front of the beach.

Plus I carry (6) 25 ft and (2) 35 ft dock lines too.
More great advice

1 - 11 of 11 Posts