Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im out last weekend idling up river. Of course I have my anchor light on along with the bow lights.

I noticed that the darn anchor light is just blinding bright. The light not only projects out but down as well. Its not bad if im anchored up and need light to see in the boat. However while underway it would be nice to be able and look back to see whats behind you. At this point its almost blinding.

Do they make a different anchor light or possibly an led replacement which would be better. any ideas...

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
What your saying is, you have a combination Anchor/Stern light ??

for your size boat, unless the rules have changed, you could use a dedicated 180 deg flush or surface mount light on the transom for running, and use the current light just for anchoring...

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fyhr Factor said:
What your saying is, you have a combination Anchor/Stern light ??

for your size boat, unless the rules have changed, you could use a dedicated 180 deg flush or surface mount light on the transom for running, and use the current light just for anchoring...

hummm well thats interesting, I didnt know that. I have a light which sticks above the stern roughly 4 feet. Thats all I have on the stern.

Im not sure with the way my swimplatform is molded in if I could even mount anything flush which would be visible at 180 degrees. If thats true im sure gonna try to figure out how....

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
I have a flush mounted Stern light on my boat. Not legal in Michigan. So, I mounted a pole light but instead of mounting it at the back of the boat I mounted it right beside the driver's seat. So it is right above my head when I am driving. Much easier to see when looking behind you.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so let me see if i have this correctly. If I were to mount a light which only was visible from the rear of the boat at 180 degrees. Im within the law.... So im thinking I could make some sort of deal up where a light was fixed in some sort of fixture which the part facing the bow was covered and the rear was exposed. This should only send light out the rear. Almost like covering up the half of the stern light facing the bow.

make sence ???

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
OK, I just looked at the current CG rules, things have changed since I last knew them 20+ years ago..

You can have the stern light I mentioned, But you must display a 360 deg. anchor light also when under power, rules states it must be 1 meter or more above your bow or side nav lights..

edit.. again sorry, not 360 and with an additional 180 stern light , but more than 180 facing forward also, maybe 210, 240 or 270, something like that.. they specify it somewhere...

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fyhr Factor said:
OK, I just looked at the current CG rules, things have changed since I last knew them 20+ years ago..

You can have the stern light I mentioned, But you must display a 360 deg. anchor light also when under power, rules states it must be 1 meter or more above your bow or side nav lights..

okay so im back to square one....... so i need to figure a way to only project the light out insted of down.

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
I have a flush-mounted transom light. It can only be seen when directly behind the boat, so I also run a pole-mounted "clear" light for 360* visibility. My pole mounts just behind the windshield, on top of the dash. It does not interfere with my night-time driving visibility. I like it. My Sutphen had the same exact set-up.

·
Registered
443 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Twin27Advantage said:
Even with the 180 transom light you still need to have a 180 facing forward. But it will get the light out of your eyes.

Perko makes a replacement light similiar to this:
http://www.boatersworld.com/product/197260664.htm?bct=;cinavigation-lights

They work fairly well since the light is projected out instead of down.

Here is are the uscg lighting rules:
http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/fedreqs/equ_nav.htm
okay now that perko replacement is alot different than what I have. Mine is almost like a little lantern on the back of the boat. Not bad if your getting in and out but horrible if driving.

I also think an LED would be better. I may be mistaken but arent LEDS visible at a farther distace than typical incandescent bulbs...So you could use a LEDwith less LUMES and get the same effect. That may be wrong but for some reason it makes sence in my head

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I found the spec's, Man, I must be getting rusty, cause my deg's were way off.. :laugher:

so here you go

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navrules/Arcs.htm

Just mouse over the pic, and the specs show up on the right

I'm not familiar with your boat layout, but if your light is affecting your night vision, then I'd go with a stern light on the transom as I mentioned before, and get a masthead light and mount it to the windshield frame (a fold-down type may appeal to you) and then your still legal everywhere, and you only need a 4 or 5 lumen's bulb on a white light for 2 mi visibility rules.. so if you do that, chances are, you'll have better night vision .

This is the set-up I had on my old boat, but I did'nt use the masthead light, maybe I was supposed to, but I did'nt.. guess I was bad :a4:

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like the idea of a light mounted on the windshield frame. This way I could make it a good bit above my head. That along with one of thoes perko lights which shine outward instead of down should fix the issue. My only thing Is I would like to have it mounted permanently and not have to run wires to a cigarette lighter or something like that everytime I put it up. Il have to think about this

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.