Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no anchor for my boat yet, and wondering what the best way to go is. I have a 29 outlaw with the small anchor storage in the bow, rather use that than something that I would have to keep in the cockpit. I have seen some called the "fortress" there were pretty expensive, but come with lifetime warranty on bending or breaking and they were about 1/2 the weight of the solid steel ones. Any ideas before or suggestions??

:D

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
The fortress anchors are excellent quality and are light. However, they are a little on the large side. Make sure the one you need will fit your anchor locker.

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My.02,don't waste your money on a fortress. I would buy a Danforth 9-14 lbs. Aprox cost$40.00
Fortress-$114.00 or a equivelant anchor.
You can even go cheaper than the Danforth,and get the same style in galvanized for around $25.00.

I guess alot depend on where you boat. I boat on Lake Michigan and never have had any trouble with the Danforth style anchor.
Happy hunting:D

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
I've got a $50 danforth from West Marine.

They work great on the chesapeake bay where the bottom is mucky.

It works great on my 4,700 lb Sunsation 288.

- jeff

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
The danforth is a pretty good all around anchor that works well. Not too bad on the wallet either. What type of bottom will you be trying to set into?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Go with a Danforth type and also get one thats about half the size of the main anchor to use as a stern anchor or in light winds.
We use both anchors all the time so we don't have to worry about swinging into another boat and I can position it for best breeze or least sun.

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The danforth is a pretty good all around anchor that works well. Not too bad on the wallet either. What type of bottom will you be trying to set into?

In the lake mostly, the bottom is hard clay in some parts, and sort of rocky mud in others...

Do you guys anchor out when you spend the night on the lake or do you dock it somewhere???

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
I dont really have room to spend the night on the boat but I have before:D I just anchored off in a cove.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Whatever you chose, just make sur you have 2,,, make for a much more relaxing day at the beach.

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
Well you know you really don't need an anchor if you just run that sucker ashore at about 55 or so and it will stay right where you park it:laugher: :laugher:

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Get the Box Anchor. Best anchor ever. No need for chain. Folds away for easy storage. I use it on my 28' Nordic and it doesn't budge. Even with 6 other boats tied up to you on a holiday weekend.

RRXBox Anchor

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
any bottom. I only boat at Havasu so it is mostly sand with a little bit of reds/weeds. A few stumps and roots sometimes too. But the water is no more than 50 feet deep in the middle.

I use no chain, just rope and no need to set it. Just drop it an leave it. It works awesome.

Also works well to hold the back in the water with the stake in front on the beach for offshore tie up!

But I am one of those crazy guys who beaches my boat. Havasu has some nice soft sand!! Never in the rocks though!!

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does this box anchor fold up small enough to fit in the front anchor compartment on the 29 outlaw?? Where do you buy the box anchor from? I have been to Boaters world, and Academy down here and never saw one.:D

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It fits in the nose compartment of my 28' . So should fit in yours. See the link above for info on where to get it. You can get them thru Teague and west marine also.

They fold flat and are about 24" long then. Comes with a vinyl vented carry bag.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts