Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I searched through some old threads but couldnt quite find a definate answer

When you all are refinishing your drives are you breaking them apart prior to stripping and painting.

Also when everyone says paint with merc phantom black are you talking about rattle can. Or are you all buying it in quarts and spraying with an auto spray gun.

I have always been kinda leary of rattle can stuff but if you all say it works there is no need to get my paint gun dirty.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Funny your asking this... i was looking into what to use.

Is powdercoat a bad idea?

What about anodizing?

sorry for jacking :dead:

just thought maybe someone could throw it all together for a few of us...

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sprint18 said:
Funny your asking this... i was looking into what to use.

Is powdercoat a bad idea?

What about anodizing?

sorry for jacking :dead:

just thought maybe someone could throw it all together for a few of us...

Well I can tell ya what I have read in other threads.

Powdercoating is suposedly a bad idea. Not sure why thats just what I read.

Not sure about anodizing I have never heard of anyone trying it. However I would think that you would need to polish the case down prior to anodizing. Or it would show any and all inperfections. This is just a guess off the top of my head.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
I've used rattle cans before with so-so results. It seems like you have to let in really cure for a while. If you paint it and run it a few days later, it won't last.

I re-doing mine now. I'm using rattle cans again. My drive is 10yrs old, so I'm not expecting miracles anyway.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Uppers and Lowers were both powdercoated. Entire gimbal assembly was painted with a 2 stage color/clear. PPG Deltron 2000 DBC basecoat (choose your color) and finished with PPG Concept DCU2042 clear. The PC will withstand the salt, but a paint professional will have to chime in on the salt condition on the paint shown above. My drives are in fresh water.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OHHHHH goodness your giving me ideas. I would really like another color besides black on my outdrive. Heck I have enough left over paint running around here to paint it any color I want.

I assume you powder coated that lower silver????

For a boat which you trailer do you think the lower would be okay if you stripped it to bare aluminum and maybe bead blasted. It would give the look of those fancy high end drives...

·
Registered
845 Posts
axkiker said:
I assume you powder coated that lower silver????

Yes. Both the upper and lower.

For a boat which you trailer do you think the lower would be okay if you stripped it to bare aluminum and maybe bead blasted. It would give the look of those fancy high end drives...
That's an idea. If that is what you want, I would suggest sealing the bare aluminum with:
http://www.zoops.com/zoopseal.asp

This stuff is bascially a ceramic sealant. Is it good to go in salt water? Better call Zoops and ask them.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Re: Re: Re: PC on outdrive

Kidnova said:
Doesn't it though ?!?!

That darn Rotax drives me nutz with the bling thing :laugher:
Thank you thank you. However, the nicely painted gimbal assembly now has to be disassembled. Remember about those IMCO HD gimbal rings we talked about? Well they are on the way. Going to remove the stock gimbal ring and replace it. Rather then painting to match the purple, going to just polish it and seal with Zoops. Bling is nice, but function comes first.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Yeah i don't really see any reason besides corrosion problems with PC...but i guess thats what anodes are for huh, as long as they are grounded good to the drive and ring right???

I'm in fresh water so i'm not too worried about it. she spends about 50 hrs in the water a year.

i'm all about the bling factor, BUT i agree with function over form. Make it work, then bling it out...LOL :clown: :laugher:

·
Registered
845 Posts
US1Fountain said:
5 yrs later still look brand new.

Used to use the Mers rattle can on my old Sea Sprite, but seemed like the paint always turned grey in short amount of time. Back then, I wasn't very picky about the drive appearance. Now I'm anal. :)
Nice engine stand outdrive holder/adapter. Did you design and fab it? If so, put together a price and let me know. Chances are, many more may want to get in on your offer.

Can you have them powdercoated? Just kidding.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
rotax454 said:
Nice engine stand outdrive holder/adapter. Did you design and fab it? If so, put together a price and let me know. Chances are, many more may want to get in on your offer.

Can you have them powdercoated? Just kidding.
Here's mine, similar but a little simpler, plus it can still be used for an engine stand.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 64 Posts