Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The plaster guy I had met last month on the previous flooring job called me about building a Run-In Shed (stable) for his wife's horses, they wanted something nice, but did'nt want to spend a fortune at the same time, so I suggested a Post & Beam constructed structure with Board & Batten siding, with all wood coming from a local sawmill, except the roof structure, they liked the idea about most of the money spent going to local businesses & staying in town..

It only measures 10 x 12 ,but feels huge on the inside because of it's height of over 11'.

He did'nt want it built on any sona tubes or a foundation, so he brought in a truck load of gravel for the base..

So because of the ground contact, I started off with #1 grade 6 x 6 Pressure treated timbers, and lap jointed the corners.
For the Post & Beam part, all the lumber is rough sawn pine and is full size, meaning 4 " is really 4 ", not 3-1/2". The corner post are 4 x 6 , center posts are 4 x 4 's, and all notched to fit the 2 x 4 Purlins. the top beams are 4 x 4's except for the open side I used a 4 x 6, and all the wind braces are 4 x 4's. everything is nailed with galv. 60d twisted spikes.

Roof rafters are 2 x 6 kds ,and plywood is exterior 5/8 "

The siding is 1 x 12 " rough sawn pine...with 1 x 2 " battens

... A very sound structure indeed...

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Siding boards are up, and now starting the trim..
This is about where I left it Saturday before another T-Storm rolled in...I will finish on Monday, depending on the weather

Attachments

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Bob, Unfortunately, I don't deliver, I only build on site, it's too bad you were'nt just a wee bit closer, because I'd be more than happy to build anything you need.
:bigsmile:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts