Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's true-

After all the searching and finding the right boat we are selling the Checkmate....

Decided after the 5th time having it out that it just isn't a good fit for a family with 3 little kids....So it will be on Fleabay and we will be looking at cruisers now...

Fun while it lasted..but trying to enjoy the lake with a 6, 4, and 9 month old is tough in a speedboat..

Maybe I can talk her into a Formula SS ;)

·
I've Survived Everything!
12,273 Posts
You'll never regret the move, especially if the boat you end up with is a Formula SS! :bigsmile:

You'll have the best of both worlds!

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I had cruisers for 10 years before going to a performance boat....they both can be fun just be aware of what the boat is made for and use it that way.

Cruisers take twice as long to get anywhere (so they burn twice the fuel getting from A to B) and you won't go as far as you used too. Hotel rooms are a thing of the past since your bringing your own. Something like the SS models are a good mix of both and a 370SS ia likely my next boat. (BTW: we are a family of 5...kids 6,9,12 and we overnight often...was on a 31 Formula, now a 38)

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
what kinda budjet are you gonna throw around? maybe a formula 280SS would fit you guys

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I couldnt do my boat with three kids, there'd be no way. I would probably be in a ski nautique or something and just staying on the inland lakes near home.....

·
Registered
615 Posts
UP_ROKTOY said:
Find new wife.
Mmmm! ...cheaper to have two boats. Cruiser for her and go-fast for you!

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
t500hps said:
I had cruisers for 10 years before going to a performance boat....they both can be fun just be aware of what the boat is made for and use it that way.

Cruisers take twice as long to get anywhere (so they burn twice the fuel getting from A to B) and you won't go as far as you used too. Hotel rooms are a thing of the past since your bringing your own. Something like the SS models are a good mix of both and a 370SS ia likely my next boat. (BTW: we are a family of 5...kids 6,9,12 and we overnight often...was on a 31 Formula, now a 38)
You summed up my thought exactly. After having a performance boat, the speed of a cruiser will make you want to stick an icepick in one ear, and pull it out the other. I used to think my fishboat was pretty fast, now it gives me the icepick effect. :(

·
Registered
615 Posts
still cheaper than ex-wife!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
280 SS is a nice boat-

Just got back from being on the Checkmate again today. What a beautiful end to an awesome weather weekend....

I figured out the BIGGEST problem...Neither the 6 or 4 year old will use the porta potty! They want a "big bathroom" so they can shut the door!:) The other problem is we were out until midnight on the 4th and didn't want to drive the 45 minutes home after taking care of the boat. If it was the wife and I, we could of easily slept in this. With the kids it's a whole different story.

It didn't help when we tied up to my buddies Sundancer and the kids got to go down into that cuddy where the a/c was on and his kids were watching Spongebob!

It's a catch 22...It would be nice to have a deep cabin where the kids could all lay comfortably that way the wife and I can relax a bit but I hate to trade the speed. I have found though we are anchoring out at the sandbars more than anything else. Kids want to swim for 20 minutes take their suits off and lay down, than get back up, put the suits back on and swim again :eek:gre:

This is a tough boat to do that with as it is super deep but the cockpit is tiny...with the cooler in the middle it sucks up most of the room. Shame to because this boat is immaculate for a 94...Who knows....Just came home and got the summer tax bill for the house..Maybe we will stick this out for a bit and they will learn to use the porta potty ;)

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
snopro1108 said:
280 SS is a nice boat-

Just got back from being on the Checkmate again today. What a beautiful end to an awesome weather weekend....

I figured out the BIGGEST problem...Neither the 6 or 4 year old will use the porta potty! They want a "big bathroom" so they can shut the door!:) The other problem is we were out until midnight on the 4th and didn't want to drive the 45 minutes home after taking care of the boat. If it was the wife and I, we could of easily slept in this. With the kids it's a whole different story.

It didn't help when we tied up to my buddies Sundancer and the kids got to go down into that cuddy where the a/c was on and his kids were watching Spongebob!

It's a catch 22...It would be nice to have a deep cabin where the kids could all lay comfortably that way the wife and I can relax a bit but I hate to trade the speed. I have found though we are anchoring out at the sandbars more than anything else. Kids want to swim for 20 minutes take their suits off and lay down, than get back up, put the suits back on and swim again :eek:gre:

This is a tough boat to do that with as it is super deep but the cockpit is tiny...with the cooler in the middle it sucks up most of the room. Shame to because this boat is immaculate for a 94...Who knows....Just came home and got the summer tax bill for the house..Maybe we will stick this out for a bit and they will learn to use the porta potty ;)

you also have to consider trailering if you do it very much. One drawback I see to a cruiser is the ability to hit different lakes. Here in Ky there are many different lakes to chose from. If cant haul it down the road very easily it may not be worth it to you........

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Look at Obnoxious' 251 Liberator. Perfect balance of sport and cruise/safety on a nice budget. HUGE cuddy and very deep cockpit. Maybe both of you could be happy.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mr. Demeanor said:
Look at Obnoxious' 251 Liberator. Perfect balance of sport and cruise/safety on a nice budget. HUGE cuddy and very deep cockpit. Maybe both of you could be happy.

I never heard back from Dennis. He was going to send pics before I bought the Checkmate. I left 3 or 4 messages and never heard anything. I figured it was sold or the old owners claimed it back?
:confused:

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Its not too hard to rig up a DVD system in the cuddy of your boat to keep the youngens busy. Your kids shouldn't have too much trouble learning to use the porta potty. Better than having to hang it off the side of the boat :D

·
I've Survived Everything!
12,273 Posts
Mr. Demeanor said:
I had a nice 251 Libby and sold it for many of the same reasons listed in this thread when I bought my 33SS.

A decision I will never regret!

You will be one very disappointed person coming out of your Checkmate and going into a 251 when it comes to the speed factor. My 33SS is faster than my old 251 Libby but probably not much slower than your Checkmate.

If you want room with speed and still want to trailer, the Formula 280 Sun Sport is your boat!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts