1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
Daddys boat............lucky girl??????????????? :confused:

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Thats cool.....i bet she's had more proper instruction from her dad on boat operation then most yahoos out there.
I'm sure that Dads right behind her and ready to yank the sticks back if he saw anything wrong about to happen...

·
Registered
13,054 Posts
blackhawk said:
I think I'd like to date her in 7 years! :eek: :D
Now that was thinking out of the box. lol I look at it this way.......It's all about being responsible.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I was driving 4X4 Jeeps when I 6yrs old sitting in Grandpa's lap. When I was big enough to reach the shifter without falling off his lap, I was driving and shifting. ETC

Driving by myself at 13 in a Jeep 4X4 Standard shift.

It is all about training and responsibility.

I thought the video was Kick **** and we need more parents taking the time with their kids like these people obviously have!

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I wonder what would happen from a laegal standpoint, if they were stopped by police for a safety check. I bet that would be a big ticket.

I can see teaching my daughter's how to handle a boat, but 70 mph is excessive. IMO. It's just not safe. Sorry to be the party pooper but I had a young girl killed in my neighborhood because a kid was learning to drive a car, lost control, and ran over a little girl. Wierd chit just happens and as a parent you need to be in control. I was kinda shocked watching the video.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
I'm actually surprised more people didn't disapprove of the video.

Big difference between driving a car on the public streets with pedestrians and a waterway with no other boats around IMO.

That boat was driving itself. You could have let go of the wheel and made a sandwich. Plus as others have stated the father was right there. When that girl is 18 she will be driving boats better than 99% of the boaters out there. Hell she may be already!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Jesse (my son) is 12yo has his boating liscence in PA and MD and pilots the scarab WOT for short blasts. He is very good, but what worries me is if an engine blows or we loose a drive will he be able to hold on and do the right thing instinctively. We are working on that part now. That and watching the gages.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
blackhawk said:

Big difference between driving a car on the public streets with pedestrians and a waterway with no other boats around IMO.
Don't get me wrong, I think it is cool to learn those skills at a young age if schooled properly. I don't know these people and i usually assume the worst. Heck, I wish my Dad taught me to operate a boat at speed but I wasn't that lucky.

As for the car accident, the student driver was in a private (empty parking lot not public street) where the student lost control (hit the gas instead of the brake)went through a fence across a busy street onto a small front yard where the little girl was playing. Obviously a freak accident, but like I said weird things can go wrong. The poor father said he was trying to get to the ignition key of the car but it was moving to violently to grab. I guess I may be more sensitive to the sort thing living through that. A really bad situation for all families involved.

Just wanted to clear that up a little. Safety first. :winker:

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
12 years old....can drive a boat legally. Gotta be 16 to drive a jetski though (strange huh?). I'm OK with the video if the kid has been taught how to drive. No traffic, flat water, hopefully a lanyard.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Guess I'm too old school, but there's just too many things that can happen too quick for a youngster to deal with. Not saying she can't "handle the boat", but like many things, everything is cool until something unexpected happens, especially at that speed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts