Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who is planning what this year?

I put a K&N filter on my 496/ho and I've got a 625HP 454 laying in wait.... I am thinking about putting it in the 288 for season.... I keep thinking about it...

what mods do you guys have planned?

- jeff

·
Registered
375 Posts
was planning on buying bigger boat, rebuilding 454 with about 500 hp. Have not sold my but yet so now I just want to sell mine to get the bigger boat and leave alone till this coming winter:(
Mark

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
It looks like Kchotboat is going to put a new paint job on mine. I need to pick up some interior I had recovered and the ol' girl should look pretty sweet.

Time to get rid of her....and get a bigger one.

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
Well Jeff the only mod I am makin is to use my boat more:laugher: I have been working some much the last few years that I didn't use my boat more than 2 or 3 times in the last 2 years. But this year I have alredy been out 5 or 6 times and that is just the start of the fun to come:D :D

Oh yea I forgot I really do love this site:) keep up the great work thanks Jeff!!!

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hornet... (FA18)

The FA18 Hornet is my favorite jet. I've always want to fly in a Hornet - bad!!! I have a pilot's license and an instrument rating but don't fly any longer. When Philly expanded the TCA and you had to squawk just to take off from the FBO where I learned to fly I thought enough is enough and flying was just getting too much like work and not enugh fun.

Nowdways I have a job that occupies me 12 to 14 hours a day 5 days a week and the forum to keep me busy. In between Karen and I use the boat and ride bicycles - we live a beautiful area.

The SITE is going to get a hell of a lot cooler - guaranteed. I am working on some features that will totally blow you away.

This site is a labor love and you guys (and girls) make it all worthwhile. Don't think the a minute that you don't. It would be a desert without all of you making it so much fun.

Thank you for being here...

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Putting the Whipple on my 502. Sure would like to know how it might work out in a Sunsation 288 (hint, hint, - wink, wink) in case you know somebody who might be able to fill be in on performance with a roughly 625 HP Whipple charged motor.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Let's See. Hmmmmm...... IMCO steering, new exhaust, & mufflers, some new gauges, and a new power. 468" with 8:71, two carbs, low boost.:D

·
Registered
753 Posts
Well I'm having a race fairing made , finally I can get rid if the dorky windshield.
An XR upper to my standard Bravo.

And if I can get all the parts to make it work I will be putting a Imco extention box, this one is like the Land and Sea Stern jack. If that gets me some more MPH then I will also add a Imco shorter lower.
I broke the 80mph barrier last summer now it's time to assault the 85mph !

All this with a naturally aspirated motor
:gunner: blowers...we don't need no stinking blowers !!
:D

·
Registered
562 Posts
hehe..fondling member..

Hey Raypanic, if I had a boat like yours
I'd be a fondling member too! :D

(he started it! Look under his name
on his post!) ;)

What do you have for propulsion?
500 HP EFI's?

*EDIT*
OK, I see now, you have twin 502's
with Whipples! Nice setup. I found your
website pics.

Boost gauges..cool!
And EGT guage (combo?) Nice.
I had the same
idea, if I ever scrape up the $$ for a
Whipple. :rolleyes:
What are the part numbers for those?

:D

·
Registered
562 Posts
See edits to my above post

Looks like you spent your money wisely.

By the looks of the Whipple throttle body
setup, Crocket must have put 50 Lb
injectors in place of the stockers so the
add-on (throttle body mounted) injectors
are not necessary.

Nice looking setup! All the goodies too.
EGT, Boost. What other fine touches does
Tyler Crocket do for an install such as
this?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I had Tyler Crocket do my install He bought two Gen 5 engines, re-built them and added the whipples. He did do more than just re-build them though. He re-worked the heads with bigger valves and bronze liners. Inconnel exhaust valves and extreem duty intake valves. New cam roller lifters and valve springs. He milled the deck a little to raise the compression to 9:1:1. On the lower end he put zero gap rings and align bored the crank. Also he uses different head gaskets because of the extra pressures of the screw charger. He cleaned the block checked tolerances and re-assembled.

The whipple setup Tyler uses is slightly different than the standard "Kit" that whipple has. Tyler replaced standard 8 injectors with 50 Lb ones and did away with the assist injectors the Whipple provides for the throttle body and their regular Throttle body . He also uses a larger Throttle body and a reprogrammed ECU by Arizona Speed and Marine. He also fine tunes the ECU when on the dyno too.

He also did all the rigging on the boat including New hydraulic steering, Aeromotive fuel pumps, Plumbing of the intercooler dumps and re-mounting the oil filters with the top up.

A few things I dont like about the install:

1) He used Gen 5 engines instead of Gen 6 no big deal except I would rather have the more popular Gen 6.

2) He did not put shut off valves in the sea-strainers he installed

3) He mounted the diverter valve and filter for the hydraulic steering under the engines in a inaccessable spot.

4) He was way beyond schedule but he did always keep focused on doing things in a quality manner.

MY setup while using the Whipple screw chargers, plenums and accessories is similar to the "Kit" it is far from the same. I Talked to Dustin at legnth about this setup and he says many engine builders just buy components and do their own thing. He also states he would be available for any technical questions and would honor the warrantys on the whipple components. He also spoke highly of Tyler and his abilities.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Overall it is a quality setup. I would like
to find a shop with someone that has
enthusiasm about their work. What I
mean is, a person that has vast
experience doing Whipple installs, and
has ideas to apply that allow for a very
reliable system with more power than
just the basic kit. Sounds like Tyler is one
of these fellas. Too bad he is in MI and I
am in TX. There is a reputable guy down
here by the name of Lil Bill that has just
the kind of experience needed. Coming
up with the $$ is another thing! :D

What did Tyler do about the lean-out
problem above 5,000 RPM? Just curious
if that has been worked out yet.

It'll be much easier for me since I only
need one blower, and have tons of room
under the hatch. I had plans to do the
install myself and ideas about adding
oil temp, boost and pyro gauges, and
I had read other Whipple installs that
go the extra mile with bigger injectors
(lean-out with a blower motor is a NO
NO!) :) Also upgrading to a Bravo
XR, adding external steering adds a
lot of $$. I'd almost rather find a nice
used boat above 32' with twins,
preferrably one that someone else
has already done mods like you did
to yours! Right now all I can afford is
my little single screw 25 Outlaw but
it's a really fun boat for the money.

You have a really hot boat! I always
liked PowerQuest. Nice website too.

-Chris

·
Registered
290 Posts
I am not sure what he does about the lean out above 5000 I would assume he could program in more fuel flow. My rev Limiter is set for 5000 so I assume it will not be a problem.

Have you heard of Burce Bullock He is in Houston. I know he is a large Eliminator dealer and does custom work but beyond this I cannot vouch for his abilities.

Also Bruce Dudley from MO is good He would be a little closer.

If you were to pull or have the engine pulled you could send it to either and the could do the mods there and dyno it too. They would send it back and you would have to do the intercooler dumps ect...

·
Registered
562 Posts
Thanks for the info Ray. I'm still in the
"design & engineering" phase of my
project. ;) Contemplating also whether
to keep my Kawasaki ZRX1100 and just
live with my turn-key 502 stock or sell
the ZRX for the money to buy the Whip.

I'm not in any hurry to get rid of the bike!

-Chris

·
Registered
144 Posts
No engine mods this year. That'll happen next fall. This year it's tunes in the boat and a depth sounder. Doesn't have either one yet.

Brown just delivered the Gaffrig depth sounder with a red bezel a couple days ago. Still doing research in the tunes department. Only got 4 more Fridays to figure it out....'cause on the 5th Friday it's the first cruise of the year!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts