Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a way to remove ink from my vinyl seat without harming the vinyl. My 4YO daughter was working on an "art project" on my passenger front seat with a ball point pen, unbeknownst to me. She was making "dots" and broke through the paper onto the seat below. :banghead: I am looking for something that will get the ink off without harming the vinyl. Any ideas?

I have a leftover piece of the same vinyl that I can experiment with. So far, I have tried fingernail polish remover (basically acetone) with mixed results. Looking for other suggestions.

Oh, and I have made it quite clear (once again) to my wife that a 4YO has no business playing with a pen or marker - crayons only, please! :mad:

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
First try magic eraser, they really are. Second regular rubbing alcohol will dissolve most inks. (don't know what it will do to vinyl) Third good old sunshine will fade most small spots.

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
Hair spray works wonders on regular fabric, but I'm not sure about vinyl. Spray enough to wet it and let it sit for a minute, then wipe.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
yeah i had a nasty dye stain....bright pink....on my sunpad and tried the acetone thing....worked ok, still left a little, then let it sit in the sun a couple weekends and was all gone...guess UV rays take stains out i dunno!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I went throught he similar thing. My daughter got a Henna tatoo and the ink went all over the vinyl. I freaked! We were in Kingston at the time and everyone at the dock had suggestions of stuff they used and thought was the best cleaner. We tried everything and nothing worked. And as weird as it sounds, like lil red boat said the sun is the only thing that made it go. It just fades away so be patient.

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
I would recommend hair spray as well... I use the magic eraser as well... love those things.. just make sure you follow with a nice protectant.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
lil red boat said:
let it sit in the sun, for some reason it does the best job.
For some reason, that does the trick..

I had a blue ink mark on my white vinyl, and I tried everything, got most of it, but you could still see it, but now after being in the sun, it's totally gone... :bigsmile:

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Ronson lighter fluid. It worked on a friends white leather couch.

Their daughter wrote all over their new leather couch.

They used the Ronson lighter fluid and she said it was the only thing that removed the ink.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts