Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am supposed to meet with a group of friends to camp in Linwood. We are staying at Hoyles, can you tell me where the anchor and drink beer all day spots are on the saginaw bay?

Are there any protected coves, bays, etc. that are good for anchoring/rafting up and hanging out at? any beaches etc?

Thanks

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
We had a great time in Tawas bay on the sand bar! I know its a bit of a jump, but none the less if the waters calm it shouldnt take long!

Also Bay city state park, had a nice sandy area where we would raft-

Havent been there or to hoyles in about 7 years!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Yup....the place to go is off of the Bay City State Park. Just follow the shoreline towards Bay City until you find a bunch of boats :) Just dont follow it too close...

What boats will be with you?

For later or for food...

If you head up the river to downtown BC, you can park at Hooters or across the river at "Dockside/Kingfish". The Hooters side will most likely be very busy this weekend. The Annual "Pig Gig" Rib cook-off festival is in town. There will be a beer tent and concerts every night. Of course that also means the Coasties and Sherriff will be in full effect.

It is about a 40-45 minute idle up the river from the bay...

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sunsation98 said:
We had a great time in Tawas bay on the sand bar! I know its a bit of a jump, but none the less if the waters calm it shouldnt take long!

Also Bay city state park, had a nice sandy area where we would raft-

Havent been there or to hoyles in about 7 years!
Thats the kinda information I am looking for.

It will be my boat (75-80 mph boat) and my buddies agressor (65 mph) so running the 30-40 miles to Tawas shouldn't be a big deal as long as we dont get some 4 foot swells....

Thanks Ken!

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jakewood said:
Yup....the place to go is off of the Bay City State Park. Just follow the shoreline towards Bay City until you find a bunch of boats :) Just dont follow it too close...

What boats will be with you?

For later or for food...

If you head up the river to downtown BC, you can park at Hooters or across the river at "Dockside/Kingfish". The Hooters side will most likely be very busy this weekend. The Annual "Pig Gig" Rib cook-off festival is in town. There will be a beer tent and concerts every night. Of course that also means the Coasties and Sherriff will be in full effect.

It is about a 40-45 minute idle up the river from the bay...
Is the river a no wake zone? My motor plus idling for 40-45 minutes equals an unhappy motor lol.

Oh, and we will be there from the 6th through the 10th. (Thursday - Saunday)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Yeah...no wake for all but one short section just before town which is about 1 minute of running on plane.

We are taking Friday off as well to take advantage of what looks to be shaping up to be an awesome day weather wise.

Tawas is nice if the Bay cooperates for the trip there and back. The water is clean and clear and nice sand to hang out in. The best place there for boats to hang is off the point. I dont think the marina will be full so you could park and run into town too. There is a nice Tiki bar "Bikinis" right there off the beach in front of the hotel. Of course one of the really cool things is to get someone on the break wall of the marina with a camera and do some speed runs down it. You will get some really nice shots! Just watch out for the traffic in/out of the entrance (especially the waverunners).

Keep an eye out for us!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jakewood said:
Yeah...no wake for all but one short section just before town which is about 1 minute of running on plane.

We are taking Friday off as well to take advantage of what looks to be shaping up to be an awesome day weather wise.

Tawas is nice if the Bay cooperates for the trip there and back. The water is clean and clear and nice sand to hang out in. The best place there for boats to hang is off the point. I dont think the marina will be full so you could park and run into town too. There is a nice Tiki bar "Bikinis" right there off the beach in front of the hotel. Of course one of the really cool things is to get someone on the break wall of the marina with a camera and do some speed runs down it. You will get some really nice shots! Just watch out for the traffic in/out of the entrance (especially the waverunners).

Keep an eye out for us!
If you are going to be out on the water next weekend and are looking for some people to hang out with email me your number. We'd definitely like to be hanging out iwth a group rather hten just solo.

45 minutes of no wake to get to hooters? Fack that...I'd go insane or end up real drunk.

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
That sanbar on the point of Tawas bay was at the top of my list. It was beautiful!

Even after just getting back from 5 days in Traverse city, Which is no. 1 in my book, I still want to go back to Tawas and play in the bay!

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
yes sir!

This will be the first weekend since the 4th on LSC!

We will be doing the raft up and most likely staying the night in the bay.

you?

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
we'll be at the raft up, doubtful that we will stay in the bay, we have docks at algonac harbor club.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jakewood said:
If you guys ever do make your way up here certainly let us know! Have fun!
Fo Sho! Be careful though, my friend dave I usually boat with is crazy. Me on the otherhand, nice and calm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts