Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the 4th I was cruising' along all was well with the world. Running about 45mph, the sun was shinning, the water was calm. Then I heard this HORRIBLE knocking and clanging coming from the engine. I back off the throttle immediately and opened the engine hatch. Still knocking and clanging I went to shut her down but, before I could get there she quit. Dead... the engine would turn over but wouldn't fire. Some very nice people in a Four Winns runabout offered to tow me the 4 miles back to the landing (they are my new best friends). On the way back I opened the hatch again and noticed that my bilge was FULL of oil. So after a month and a half of boat ownership my season just got shorter and, although it hasn't been diagnosed yet, I presume very expensive.

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
sorry to hear about your problems.
perhaps the oil filter seal was bad. there aren't a lot of places that oil can escape 'en mass from an engine other than a gaping hole in the oil pan and that's pretty uncommon to throw a rod.

we'll keep our fingers crossed for you...

- jeff

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
would that cause the noise too?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that sounds less expensive. I like that

·
Premium Member
18,074 Posts
musso said:
HORRIBLE knocking and clanging coming from the engine. bilge was FULL of oil.
Almost sounds like spun frt bearing & broken rod or a crank !
Can you see where oil is coming from ?
Also was it making any noise when you were turning it over ? Did you happen to notice your oil gauage ?

Sorry you're having a bad weekend ! :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sorry musso, bad sounds from low oil pressure are almost always expensive. Be prepared to open that checkbook to maximum width.

Hope I'm wrong:)

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
ouch, good luck man!!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah I didn't expect this to be cheap. I am taking it to the doctor on Wednesday. Let the gouging begin!

I looked at all the gages a few moments before I heard the noises and all was well. But I didn't notice them when I heard the noise. It all happened pretty quick.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is a good point. However I was hoping to make it through one season at least.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Hope it turns out cheap !!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well the word is in... the cam broke and got stuck in between the crank and the block. So it is new engine time. The only good thing is I will be gaining about 60 more hp. So I guess I need to look at the bright side. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
actually it's not rare Jeff,,,I have heard that quite a few time,,, usually they are running bad first,,popping and such,,, that is the lobe wering down, but have heard of them just snapping to.

How old is the enigine,,, you might have some recouse somewhere?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The engine is about two or three years old. It was an aftermarket cam. According to the tech it isn't that rare. But quite expensive. I will have more hp however so there is a bright side. Unless someone wants a good deal on a Liberator. Just kidding.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
. Unless someone wants a good deal on a Liberator. Just kidding. [/B]

STOP THAT !!!! It's all part of boating !!!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts