Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guy a work keeps saying its a baja not an offshore, he said you want offshore buy fountain can i get some replies to show him

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Depends what you mean by offshore and what size are we talking about?
A lot of whats is called offshore these days is
nothing more than glorified bay racing in which case
both a large Baja or Fountain would be pretty equal with the Fountain probably being faster.
If by offshore we are talking Miami to Bahamas and back , niether one qualifies in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
foot for foot I'd rather be in the Baja than a Fountain....especially if we're going offshore. The Fountain is faster but that doesn't make it an "offshore".

Maybe he thinks Baja only makes 20-25 ft boats????

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
Most races are not offshore anymore, and when they are its in protected areas so the waves are not as rough, but before someone jumps on me, I do know there are big waves at the APBA and the like circuits. But even those boats break almost every race. So what is a "true offshore"? I would have to say Fountain, Cig, Scarab, Formula, to name and few and notice I did leave out Haja, but only because they don't compete in racing of any kind with their boats but they do have the deep vee that the others

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
I think generally speaking "offshore" is a style of boat. Just like people refer to all perf. boats as "Cigarette" boats.

I look at Baja as being more towards the pleasure end of performance boats as compared to more hardcore performance boats. You typically don't see them (smaller ones anyway) rigged like the others. K-planes, steering, offshore mounts, etc.

Can you take one offshore? Sure

Can you race with one? Yes.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
when I think offshore I think bertram, pantera, apache, cig, magnum, etc.

Then again I also think of offshore in the sense of what I enjoy watching race in the different classes.

Like back when the SOB class was still around and you hade superboats and progressions and activators and rallysports and pantera's all racing with one egg beater.

But I like the 21-30 ft boats in their respective classes. The big stuff over 30 ft although cool, doesnt excite me as much. which doesnt make it any less offshore, as a 41 apache is just as much if not more offshore then a 21 superboat with a 200 hp outboard. To me its more about build.

The 21 super and the 41 apache are both built like tanks, both use superior construction, neither has a fully decked out cabin, and they were both built to race in their repsective classes and race fast.

Baja is a pleasure boat, has lots of nice amentities, you wont find many in a racing environment, and they are popular with the pleasure boating crowd.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think they both make great (but different) products. There are tons of each brand in all sizes down here at LOTO. It seems that the Baja's are baught by the people looking for a stylish, quick, comfortable boat that is a good value. The Fountains seem to be the platform of choice for the speed conscious crowd.

When I think of offshore boats there are several that pop into my mind (apache, cig, bertram, scarab, pantera etc.) but founatin and baja aren't usually there. Great boats, just not my picture of offshore machines.

·
Registered
283 Posts
If memory serves correct both are now owned by Fountain. I have seen Baja's out in the open water plowing through 5' waves but never in racing circuits.

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
Super24 said:
I think generally speaking "offshore" is a style of boat. Just like people refer to all perf. boats as "Cigarette" boats.

I look at Baja as being more towards the pleasure end of performance boats as compared to more hardcore performance boats. You typically don't see them (smaller ones anyway) rigged like the others. K-planes, steering, offshore mounts, etc.

I pretty much agree with this...and add

I think "Offshore" is more of a template for design... you know, like deep "V". Then I would go one step further and say the Manufacturers' build process makes it pleasure, better, fast, stronger....etc.. version of an "Offshore"

I would definately say Many Baja models are "Offshore" design boats. .02

Maybe there should be a category where a Manuf. builds theirs to be. Like Offshore, offshore pleasure, offshore performance, offshore racing. Sure would muddy it up for me!
In this day and age.. I have seen many race boats wish they could be like some"pleasure" Poker Run boats..

Once you stop buying off the showroom floor, you create your build anyhow

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Outlaws can run with the best of them, I am very impressed with how the 33 OL handles the rough stuff in the ocean around here, that's offshore in my book.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Super24 said:

we were posting at the smae time....I agree with your line of thought.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
UP_ROKTOY said:
I'm sure that was just a little 6" ripple that destroyed that whole boat right?

Let's hear the story....
cant talk for what destroyed it,only how its built, and its far from bieng built like a tank, sides are so thin you can almost see thru them, hull and deck not bonded together, screws hap-hazardly placed and on the very edge of the mating surface,I could go on and on.. Not what you would want on an 80+mph offshore boat..

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Can we all agree that this boat is 'offshore' ? :D

<object width="650" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r7mSxOAg-UU&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r7mSxOAg-UU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="650" height="480"></embed></object>

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
HTRDLNCN said:
cant talk for what destroyed it,only how its built, and its far from bieng built like a tank, sides are so thin you can almost see thru them, hull and deck not bonded together, screws hap-hazardly placed and on the very edge of the mating surface,I could go on and on.. Not what you would want on an 80+mph offshore boat..
Fair enough ;)

I can't see the boat up close to discuss, but I've always been under the impression superboat built a pretty stout hull.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
dieselmatt1 said:
guy a work keeps saying its a baja not an offshore, he said you want offshore buy fountain can i get some replies to show him
guy knows what he's talkin about..... no point in arguing with him.... the record books speak for themselves :winker:

1 - 20 of 75 Posts