Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with more sitting and partying than running going on... how far up the beach is OK???

Me personally would love to, but never...(never say never I guess)

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
Got to be sure you can physically push it back or that the water is deep enough for your drive
I no longer beach my boat.
I was the last one to leave the beach once and was not strong enough to push my 23footer off the beach and there was not enough water to use reverse. :a6:
I had to cell phone a buddy back to the beach and help me

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
depends on how crappy the boat is, nice boat would never touch land, crappy boat,beach that baby..
Doesnt apply to us on lakes but back in Florida my
uncle would give us his boat (23 Performer with Merc454/TRS)to use on the weekends when we were kids, only condition was we had to clean the bottom as best we could.He kept it in the canal in the keys so it would get barnacles and crap on bottom making it slow as hell, my cousin would go WOT and trimmed way the hell out right over the nearest sand bar , seconds before touching he would cut the engine and raise the drive.
We would hit the sandbar at about 50mph and travel right over it and out the other side, bottom was now 90% clean!! Boat would pickup7-9mph every time. (in the late 70s 60mph boat was faaaaaast) :)
Since engine was off and drive was up and it was soft sand no damage to drive and no sand in engine. Amazing the crazy **** you think of when you are a teenager.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
As long as you're in sand then just make sure the drive isn't hitting and you can get the boat off the beach/sandbar.

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
I've beached my dads aluminum boat a few times but I never beach my fiberglass boats.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
HTRDLNCN said:
depends on how crappy the boat is, nice boat would never touch land, crappy boat,beach that baby..
Doesnt apply to us on lakes but back in Florida my
uncle would give us his boat (23 Performer with Merc454/TRS)to use on the weekends when we were kids, only condition was we had to clean the bottom as best we could.He kept it in the canal in the keys so it would get barnacles and crap on bottom making it slow as hell, my cousin would go WOT and trimmed way the hell out right over the nearest sand bar , seconds before touching he would cut the engine and raise the drive.
We would hit the sandbar at about 50mph and travel right over it and out the other side, bottom was now 90% clean!! Boat would pickup7-9mph every time. (in the late 70s 60mph boat was faaaaaast) :)
Since engine was off and drive was up and it was soft sand no damage to drive and no sand in engine. Amazing the crazy **** you think of when you are a teenager.

thats one of the craziest / funniest things I have heard all day. HAHAHAHHA :laugher: :laugher: :laugher:

·
Premium Member
6,826 Posts
Beaching a boat :dontdoit: :sm1:

A friend beached his 30'r and didn't pay attention to the out going tide :eek: . Long story , short , it was 9:30 at night infested with mosquitos before we got it off :dead:

·
Registered
888 Posts
That pic looks like it drops off real quick, that blow boat must have some type of keel and it looks like it is nearly beached as well. I love the sand bar cleaning ritual :laugher:

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
I've done it, but prefer not too... and I always put it up just far enough to keep it from floating away, and the tides are so strong around here, I would have to keep adjusting it every 20 to 30 minutes... Pain...

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Acme bottom cleaning at your service.
:)
The Florida Keys were a cheap,crazy
and fun place to hang in the 70s and early 80s.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I never really understood the issue with bringing it up to the beach. How does it damage it? I haven't done it but I am picturing coasting in engine off, drive up and can't see how that would damage anything.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Two words - Anchor Buddy. Anchor Buddy

This allows you to drop a stern anchor with an elastic cord, ease up to the beach, drop someone off the bow with a bow line to be attached to a tree of fixed object. Anchor buddy pulls boat out into deeper water, and you just pull the bow line in to board or exit.

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
Bop said:
I never really understood the issue with bringing it up to the beach. How does it damage it? I haven't done it but I am picturing coasting in engine off, drive up and can't see how that would damage anything.

I don't like the scratches in the gel coat. Some scratches get very deep and can compromise the water seal if beached hard and often especially in sandy and rocky areas.

The gel is fragile enough. I prefer to keep mine like new. To much work to sand and buff, I'd rather just wax. :bigsmile:

·
You BLOT that schit!
2,692 Posts
lil red boat said:
I think anytime a hull touches land is too much....jmho
I agree, and yet I've seen some of the bigger boys (at Lloyds Creek) nose into the front edge of the cove there next to the inlet.

I just can't imagine that is good for fiberglass, at least not around here where you never know what could be on the bottom.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts