Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should know the answer but I don't. How should a V-belt ride in the pulley? I think my belts are too narrow as they sit down in the pullies slightly. I'm thinking they should ride flush?

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fyhr Factor said:
Sounds like your fine, just the way it is now..
Really, they should sit down in the pullies slightly? The reason I am asking is I had a squealing belt so I replaced all three. It was fine for about an hour then a belt started squealing again. This weekend I blew a power steering belt.

To me it seems it should ride perfectly flush so the sides of the belt make even contact with the pulley.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
That's true, The sides of the V belt should be in full contact with the pulley.
Mine are not flush, and sit just slightly lower too, but I have no problems, I think it's more of getting the angle right more than anything.. there's so many different V-belts, so I just bring in the old belt to match up the #'s, but if you never had the correct belt in the 1st place, it may be easier to order one through the dealer to match your application, then you'll know it's the right one, as long as you have stock pulley's..

Ask Donman, he would tell you more about it, he deals with parts..I bet he knows for sure..

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fyhr Factor said:
That's true, The sides of the V belt should be in full contact with the pulley.
Mine are not flush, and sit just slightly lower too, but I have no problems, I think it's more of getting the angle right more than anything.. there's so many different V-belts, so I just bring in the old belt to match up the #'s, but if you never had the correct belt in the 1st place, it may be easier to order one through the dealer to match your application, then you'll know it's the right one, as long as you have stock pulley's..

Ask Donman, he would tell you more about it, he deals with parts..I bet he knows for sure..
Thanks, I did match the belts by taking my old ones in but I am thinking they were wrong to start with. Could be more to why I blew the belt. Long weekend so I don't feel like crawling in the bilge just yet. Figured I'd do the easy part first and get the right belts! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts