Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the best marine speakers to purchase? I have 2 x 250 watt pioneer 6x9's and and 2 x 125 watt 5.5's one a 1000 watt amp right now and it is still not getting the projection onto the island that I want.....please advise

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
JL Audio,,,, Memphis audio

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you have these speakers down in the corners of your boat, you won't get much projection. That is why those wake boarding tower speakers sound so good and loud, they project out to where you are at, the beach.

Other then that, more speakers, and more watts, pointed to the back of the boat or beach!!!! :D :pirate:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have been using the Polk DBs. They are for marine applications and put out great sound but if you are looking for white speakers you are out of luck. They also make some nice tower speakers referenced above.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
lilemmick said:
What are the best marine speakers to purchase? I have 2 x 250 watt pioneer 6x9's and and 2 x 125 watt 5.5's one a 1000 watt amp right now and it is still not getting the projection onto the island that I want.....please advise
If your speakers are mounted LOW in the boat you will have trouble getting any sound to project unless you drive them with some serious amps.

I have 2 10" subs on a 500/1 JL amp. 4 JL 770 speakers and a pair of 6X9's off a 300/4 JL amp.

I replaced the Sony 6.5 with a set of JL 770 speakers from this pic

It is killer IN the boat but weak on shore.

If you want volume ON shore make some portable boxes and set them on the deck of the boat or get a tower. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I get good sound due to my radar arch. Not running alot of power 50w stereo, It just outs the speakers high enough to clear the boat. Cant wait to put a real stereo in it.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
We have a stereo noise limit on our lake that is the same as exhaust. 82 Db's.

I recorded a Loon at 3 this AM at 180Db's. :angry1: :laugher:

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
How many Db's was the gun that shot the Loon?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I just put Memphis in my checkmate, they make an 8" speaker for highs in addition to the regular 6.5's. They absolutely rock, better then the JL's and MB Quarts I had in the past. The main thing youre buying with better speakers is a clearer sound not louder, you definately need to get those speakers up off the floor, maybe put them in boxes you can put up on the sunpad?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
cfm said:
We have a stereo noise limit on our lake that is the same as exhaust. 82 Db's.

I recorded a Loon at 3 this AM at 180Db's. :angry1: :laugher:

I heard theyre outlawing loons on lake winny??? :laugher: How can anyone get any sleep with all that noise.... :laugher:

·
Registered
320 Posts
I dont know if it will work on your boat but how about mounting speakers on the inside of the engine cover then when you park just open it up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
that was actually my next idea :) Anyone know where I can get a powered strut bar so I can push a button to raise up my plethra of speakers to get the beach shakin?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I love memphis speakers had them in my last 3 vehicles and they rock but I was not aware they had an actual marine application.....I need to research their website and put this biggest high and mid speakers they sell all the the SOB....maybe put like 1 10'' or 12'' in the back....and as far as watts go...depending on ohm rating and wattage u do get more decibals/sound....I'm looking for some freak of nature mids and highs...I built showcars for DB not SQ for years and am new to the whole boating scene so I was just finding out everyone opinion on marine audio....I plan on having my cuddy slammin about 75DB :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
polk... and love that alpine has come out with marine head unit... very close to what's in the daily grocery getter...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I love my JL's!
Originally started with the stock clarions. Then I switched to infiniti's. They were a huge upgrade at a moderate price.
Then went to Jl. They are expensive, but good

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I have 4 polk DB's 6x9's in the cockpit being pushed by 70 watts rms each. They sound beautiful and louder than you care to crank them up. Excellent speakers loud and crisp as long as you put good power to them. They handle 100 watts rms each.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts