Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, to everyone. I own a 99 Baja hammer with the 7.4L MPI. Lately I have noticed some grey looking bilge water. It is not enough to activate the bilge pump (it's automatic), just wondering if I may have a leak somewhere. So far this year I have put about 10 Hrs on the boat (170 total). I had the engine oil and drive oil changed over the winter. Have only had to add 1 qt or less of oil to the engine to top it off (have run it 7 hrs since then and it is still full). I did recently replenish my drive lube resevior (it was at the fill line when I got it back from servicing). Since filling it it has leveled off on full. I have no vivsible leaks out side the boat and none I can get to or see in the engine compartment. Anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
70,399 Posts
It is hard to say if you have a leak as many factors can cause water in the bilge. A leaky boat cover,a cooling system hose etc. I would turn your bilge on manually and se if it pumps it out. If not ,pull the transom plug
(which you should always do unless stored indoors) and drain the water. Clean the bilge,and keep an eye on it from there. Sorry I can't be more specific.

As far as the drive,just keep an eye on it to. It is normal after service,for it to usually pull some from the jar.

Hope this helps,and keep us informed

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanx. I do not think there is anything wrong (I hope). It is a bit tight for me to clean all the water out. The bilge works fine and the plug is out. I'll take it to the boat ramp and hopefully get all the water out.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
If you have a shop vac and have room to maneuver the hose under the engine it will suck out ALL the water fairly easily. Just make sure there is no gasoline mixed in - could be hazardous to your vacuum.:D

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Yeah well, it took me long enough. I spent a couple of years with my current boat trying to dry the bilge with sponges then I came up with the brilliant idea to use the shop vac. So easy and only takes a few seconds.:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts