Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If I wanted to pull some additional horsepower out of my 383, what kind of a blower set-up would be the best to think about? I've already got dished pistons, aftermarket heads, cam, intake and exhaust manifolds, forged bottom end, etc... and a current compression around 9:1. What kind of experience have folks had with this? I wouldn't want to push things so far that it killed reliability. Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
961 Posts
How much power are you making now?

Engine specs? I would probably like the compression to be a little lower, but with moderate boost levels (say under 8 lbs) you'll probably be ok.

A lot of folks run the ATI Procharger blow-thru set up with good results. Personally, I'm partial to roots-style blowers due to their ability to supply instant-on boost (centrifical blowers require rpm to spool them up).

I'm not going to do it with the boat, but I'll probably put a blower on the afr-headed 383 that's going in my S10 pickup.

·
383 Mouse Powered 80.5GPS
682 Posts
FTM makes a Procharger kit for 383's. Makes around 600hp. Centrifugal in a light boat with a 383 is the way to go. Just cruising 2500-3000rpms you are not turning enough to make boost thereby having not much MPG loss vs N/A. Unlike the roots or twin screw types where you are into boost pretty much off idle.

You have a solid foundation as is. Moderate boost 5-9lbs with your mods will fly. You won't need major boost with good induction and exhaust. You will need at least 93 octane all the time. Reliability will be determined by how well the engine is tuned.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YwcwpmbNInc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YwcwpmbNInc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
World products 200cc sportsman heads, comp cams xm270h, scat forged crank, rods, forged dished pistons, hand fitted ring gap, high volume oil pan (standard pressure / volume pump), high quality bearings, etc... edelbrock torker 2 and marine carb, gaffrig flame arrestor, imco powerflow manifolds and long risers Now that it's getting broken in, adding large big block merc oil cooler, along with aftermarket thermostat and temp gauge

Right now the assumption is that we're making around 400 horsepower and about 400 foot pounds of torque. peak horsepower is about 5300-5500.

runs great, idles down to 500 or 600 rpms. now that the carb is dialed in most of the way power is great across the board. playing with props, set-up and so forth this year, but assuming I'll want more power next year... if the boat is still feeling stable as I get the speed up a little more than now with set-up changes. blower set-up would be done by the engine builder if I went this route.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts