Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Returning home yesterday from a beach party, 1 mile from home and the alarm started. High temp! Lift the hatch and found a blown hose. This hose comes from the sea pump towards the front, under the pulley and around to the oil cooler. There was a hole in the hose under the pulley big enough that i had my thumb in it. I only have 80 hours on my HP500EFI. I'll change the hose this week but is there anything else I should check. My expirence tells me if something broke, something caused it. Any ideas guys?:mad: :confused:

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
that's pretty uncommon...
I would certainly check other things, but maybe an email to Mercruiser asking if this is a common problem might be in order.

In addition you might want to send an email to Speedwake Member: Mercrules since he works for mercruiser.

If it were my boat, I'd replace it and chalk it up to a defective hose...

my only observation is to make sure the hose is not rubbing against anything were you found the hole, but I'm sure you already checked for that...

- jeff

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Canada Jeff,like Jeff said most likely a bad hose. But what did the whole look like ???
(and cmon guys,we have entered tech talk so keep down the smartass comments)
:confused: :confused:
I mean did it look like it rubbed something like Jeff said,or more blown and ragged?

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I could see there is no rub mark, the hose is not near anything. It looks like it was cut but not in a streight line. It makes like a J . I'll take it out today at lunch and look at it closer. It turns out it goes from the sea pump to the fuel cooler, not the oil cooler.
1boatnut, I'm with you on the Tech talk.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Sounds like a warranty issue to me,,,, I think they owe you a whole new engine !!! ( sounded good to me )

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it was still on warrenty I would have tried to make it home. This only happened Sunday and I went to the local watering hole last night and people started asking me if I had my new engine on order or if I was going to fix this one. Fuc.ing small towns love to talk , especially when they see you in tow!

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
ya hey dare !!! Do you think you hurt the engine?

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
I got my fingers crossed for ya,,, Good luck !!!

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pulled my exhaust Y pipes off last night and checked the flappers. The two in the lower bull horn Y pipe leading the the drive were gone. I expected that, when I pulled my drive this spring to grease the threw shaft I pulled out two sets of burnt flappers. I then looked at the tips and found a set of flappers I did not know were there. The rubber on them was burnt, almost all gone. If I were to take the flappers and slide them on the pivot shaft they would make a similar noise. After calling my local mech and talking to others I am told not to worry about the knocking, that it was probably there all along:rolleyes: I don't know about that, but I can not find any thing wrong. the engine is running fine. WOT till she blows, replace stronger:devious:

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Phew !! Glad to hear all is well !!!

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the high engine temp was from when I blew the hose, it got hot, I shut it off, and then I got hot!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts