Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Long story short....
Error in judgment!! (not mine) After a few too many drinks out on the water, the trip home went sour. at 60+ mph, the pull truck lost a rear wheel, jack-knifing truck into trailer, boat skidding down the interstate into the ditch and flipped on its top. police, jail and impound of truck, trailer and boat followed. (very lucky no one seriously hurt) owner in way too much trouble to get wreaked stuff out of impound, and a hefty tow and storage bill grows very fast.... 2yrs later a tittle was issued to the impound yard owner and thats where I come into play. He offers the boat to me and we settle on a price. This isn't my first boat but it is in need of ALOTTA repair and paint, and a first for me at this level, but I jump in!
so far Its had 2700$ in lower unit work, all cockpit interior pulled and most repaired, cuddie gets pro detailed, serious windshield work, entire boat sanded, fiber glass repair, this is where its at now...

just got the call from painter, fiberglass repair guy that the final paint is now drying, interior is there and will be installed first thing in the am. windshield on the way. Just though it would be cool to post this and see if its all worth it. BTW its a 25ft cruisers inc. 454, bravo drive, captains choice exhaust. boat only has 145 hrs on it, so the hr meter says. I will take pictures as the boat comes together. after seeing some of the restoration of other boats on this site Im think it should turn out OK. please let me know what you guys think. thank!

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I would say no way, unless you really like doing the work, what can you buy that boat in int shape for?15k max? I know it's tempting but I say run away!

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
WOW! That is gonna take a lot of work. Looks like in needs a complete bow to stern re-rig.

I guess "TO YOU" it is worth it.
I can see $15K to $20K going into it easy. But I tend to go a bit overboard.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Well, If you got the boat for a song, and you do all the work yourself, you could have a nice boat when it's all done, Good Luck, and keep us posted on it's progress.. :)

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
with alotta help from friends and hired guns we got it cleaned up, fired up and in the water. I'll show the picture first and them ask for some advise on a couple small glitches...

the carb needs a rebuild I'm guessing, it sputters abit coming up on plane, starter is hit and miss so its getting replaced and I need some feed back on this one. when the rpm's are above 2500 the motor cuts out when the lower unit trim is ajusted, two new ultima batterys and the alternator is charging. any ideas?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
That's incredible!

Mind telling us what you have into it now starting with what you stole it for? ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was a sight to see, Two body-paint guys, two detail-interior guys. glass company, and 1 mechanic all working is sweet harmony (kinda) 2 days and nights putting back together.
2700 in the lower unit
1000 in interior repair
4500 in fiberglass work
1200 in paint and supplies
awaiting bill on windshield
700 in engine work & tune up (been sitting for 3 yrs)
250 detailing
300 in fuel

belts are tight, will check all ground cables tonight.
I'll let you know what I gave for it but would really like to get some opinions on what the boat is now worth. cant find the rogue in the boat nada. what's it worth?

·
Registered
60 Posts
There's a 88-89 (I forget) 2150 selling locally listed at 9,900. Not in nearly as nice of shape as that. Now that being said I see it sitting for a long time at the price he's got it at now. Those are some nice boats, slow but absolute wave crushers. That 21' rides about as nice as my parents 28' bayliner.

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
Tool131 said:
[Bwhen the rpm's are above 2500 the motor cuts out when the lower unit trim is ajusted, two new ultima batterys and the alternator is charging. any ideas? [/B]

I would be checking for wiring issue. Maybe something is tied together and there is feedback on another circuit, shorting or power drop/voltage drop.
Could also be excessive draw in the trim motor from sitting so long............similar to the starter issue.

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
How long did all this take you?
I see the first pics are only a week+ old. And now the new pics ALREADY. It wasn't THAT quick was it???
Looks good, like others said, check your grounds to the block. I have bought 2 boats that those were loose on...ENJOY!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts