Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently subscribed to Powerboating magezine. At first I loved it, the illustratings are great and so are the articles, but I don't think it for me and definetly not for my budget (boats in the mag). To be honest I'm tired of looking and reading about cats, there great looking boats don't get me wrong but there not my style. And it seems lately that what they've been sweating. I've only got 2 issues and everything in its been 30+ footer with the ocassionaly 27 foot cat that goes 130+.

So for you guys that subsribe to powerboating or other mags will they start featuring hp boats under 30 feet or is it mostly the big dawgs and cats, with extreme power. I'm not looking for cruisers or open bows just something a little more reasonable. Should I look into anthother mag. I think that I'm going to be more interested in a mag that features 25 to 32 foot boats with standard or just above standard power any suggestions.

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
"New" Hot Boat SUCKS!! More things irritate the $h1t out of me everytime I get an issue. Typos, WRONG info, and just F'ups lead me to believe they really DON"T CARE about what they print. EVERY feature tells of some hot new item on a boat that sounds great...then they don't show a pic of the new feature or something...

I don't think they print CHEAPA$s boater monthly. So just about every magazine shows rides that are unreal for my reach and budget. (That could be a hit of a magazine, but the audience would be too frugle to spend money on a subscription :D ) I realize that I'll never spend a 1/2 million on a boat and just enjoy seeing them from my distance.

But...FAMILY and PERFORMANCE boating is probably as close to what you describe as I have come across. Most of their features and articles seem a little more reasonable. Check that out :)

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
I cancelled powerboat years ago and cherry pick it at the store now... I couldnt stand reading teh same thing with every boat being perfect and then getting the annoying PWC issue...

But i still think its one of the best out there

·
Registered
132 Posts
The last issue was particularly annoying. It had 10 times the boat tests taking place of the decent content as it was their annual high speed round-up. If I remember correctly, I beleive the cheapest boat in there was $250K for a "small" outboard cat that ran 105+.

I typically read most of the articles and just flip through the boat tests (ie - look at the pics, find the top speeds and then laugh at the prices). Unfortunately I still think it is about the best one out there. I get/have had subscirptions to others and find them to be out of synch with my tastes as well. I'm just not into wakeboard boats and cruisers. Powerboat at least stuffs their pages with boats I wish I could have.... or at least wish I could afford.

·
Registered
398 Posts
RSCHAP1 said:
[BBut...FAMILY and PERFORMANCE boating is probably as close to what you describe as I have come across. Most of their features and articles seem a little more reasonable. Check that out :) [/B]
Just looked that up online, looked like a good mag, but when i called them found out it is no longer in print.. I also sub to Powerboat and mostly just read through the tech sections and articles.. would be nice if they could do some tests on some more "affordable" boats.. not talking bayliners but at least some with stock power and not 50K upgraded engine options..

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
Maybe "Speedboat". :confused:

It has it's flaws as listed with others but it gets down to 24 footers that have 8.1L HO motors and on up. They featured some mid-cabin boats in one issue.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Yes i feel the same way.Give us a east coast version with your normal 496 ho or blue motor's. They act like they don't even drive them anymore. It used to take me a couple of nights to get through, now its only about a half hour. :confused:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Magazine make money off the advertising , so if all their advertisers sell $250-750k boats and $25k - $100k engines thats what they are going to feature. Hell, how many performance boat manufacturers even make 22-24ft boats anymore that arent lake or wake boats?
I know a lot of poker runs wont even let boats under 27ft run.
Funny how there are boats like the old school 24x7 Pantera,Superboats,Carreras etc that will kick the snot out of those 27+ft show queens out in real open water.
I doubt there will ever be a performance boat magazine catering to the average Joe. It takes 10 average Joes 5 years to spend what one big blinger spends on his every year and thats what advertisers care about..

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
HTRDLNCN said:
Magazine make money off the advertising , so if all their advertisers sell $250-750k boats and $25k - $100k engines thats what they are going to feature. Hell, how many performance boat manufacturers even make 22-24ft boats anymore that arent lake or wake boats?
Funny how there are boats like the old school 24x7 Pantera,Superboats,Carreras etc that will kick the snot out of those 27+ft show queens out in real open water.
I doubt there will ever be a performance boat magazine catering to the average Joe. It takes 10 average Joes 5 years to spend what one big blinger spends on his every year and thats what advertisers care about..
I agree :(

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
I sub to Powerboat and when it runs out I'm NOT renewing. I stopped getting Hot Boat a few years ago.

I enjoy Chesapeake Bay Magazine. It's got a lot of good local info.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally, the new powerboat is out with entry level performance boats. Nice to see them listen to there readers. My one and only complaint is that all the entry level boats have there higher end motors, oh well can't have your cake and eat it too.

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
HTRDLNCN said:
sad but true

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I would like to see more makeovers, old racers and resto boats. They are cool and there are many out there to do features on. There should really be a magazine dedicated to resto rides IMO.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Just got the new Power and Motor Yacht magazine. They sent me a mailer last summer to get the magazine for 1$. This months issue goes over the largest yachts, one is close to 500'. My renewal came in yesterday, 70$ for the next year. Thanks for 1st year but I am not sending in the check for this magazine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts