Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went and saw my boat bottom being redone today. Not a pretty sight!!!!!!!!!! :( :( :( :( :(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats what they told me,,, said would be better then new,,, I think boatnut is paying them off to put a huge hook in my hull !!!!

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK,,, the whole story::::

Last season, I bought some Speed cote in my never ending quest to keep up with boatnut. I jacked my boat off the trailer to find that it had blistered only where the boat sits on the bunks,,, I about cried !!!!! you guys need to understand how I take care of my boat,,, This is one time I will agree with boatnut,,, I am one of the most anal people you will ever meet !!! I run Royal Purple racing oil, still change it every 20-25 hours. Drive gets done every 50. my boat is 4 years old has over 500 hours on it, and you can barely tell it from showroom. NEVER sits in the water,, (trailer queen) waxed 4 times a season.

So, of course I go crying to Grand Sport, my Baja dealer for them to say there is really no blister warranty on boats, but they might be able to cover "some" of it. I asked how much the repair would cost.....$6,000 !!!!!!!!! And Baja might cover 1/4 to 1/2.

I said I guess I will be looking into that 34 Powerquest I like. They said just trade it in here, I told them I buy a $50,000 boat, it has a problem, you don't help me and you expect me to drop $130, 000 on another boat!!!!!??????

Well back and forth for a couple weeks,,, low and behold, Baja is now covering 100 % of the repair. Gets worse,,,, They say use the boat the rest of the season, and bring it here in Nov to get the bottom done.

Bring it there in Nov,,, busy,, next month busy, yadda yadda yadda,,, they finnaly took my boat in March !!! Then it just sat in there lot !!!!!!! ( they did shrink wrap it for nothing )

But the last thing I want to do is rush them on a job llike this, so I bite my tongue,,, they seem to be doing a great job, and they were always friendly with me.

So ,, as to whats being done, removed all gellcote from the v bottom, straighten ( bluepring ) the hull, sharpen the strakes, barrier cote hull, and regellcote. And hopefully I will have it back by May 1st.

sorry so long, but you asked !!!!!

:D

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
He said Anal :laugher: :laugher:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hey Obnoxus, how did the bottom repair ever hold up, my baja blistered last year, and I'm in the process of figuring out the best course of action

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Red Stripe said:
He said Anal :laugher: :laugher:
Read carefully, he also "Jacked his boat off" :eek3:

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I jacked my boat off the trailer to find that it had blistered only where the boat sits on the bunks
That's not the first time I've heard of that. There is no way to clean that area and the bunks hold moisture.

I hope everything works out for you.

Brian

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Caincando1 said:
That's not the first time I've heard of that. There is no way to clean that area and the bunks hold moisture.

I hope everything works out for you.

Brian
Look at the date !!! An old post was resurected. Everything has been great since,,, picked up a couple MPH to !!!

I have a deposit on the boat, so It looks as if she might be gone :(

·
Registered
749 Posts
OK Guys.....Are you ready for the bad news? I'm surprised it blistered just at the bunks. The gelcoat must be VERY THIN there for moisture to penetrate it. I have some blisters on my CV-23 hull and was told to "leave them alone" by numerous boaters "in the know" unless they are REAL BAD....Most blisters are caused from moisture coming through the fiberglass matt from inside the hull (rainwater, wet skiers, swimmers, etc.). A change of Resin Mixture in the 80's was the cause of my problem. SeaRay had alot of blistered hulls in the 80's as well as other manufacturers like Glastron. Water seeps through the matt and resin and gets trapped under the gelcoat. A few bangs here and there and you get a bubble here and there, not to mention freezing on the trailer. My boat is a trailer queen so the blisters don't sit and fester in the water all Summer and I've got the rain issue solved for good! Hope the bottom holds up and I'm glad Baja did something about it. I can live with mine after 16yrs of use, Mike.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts